Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job Centre rant

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by sequeena, Aug 12, 2009.

1. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I recently claimed for Job Seekers contribution based (not the income support benefit). Today I had the letter back with the decision.

I haven't been accepted because I didn't pay enough NI. They used the tax year April 2007-April 2008

...I didn't start my job until February 2008 and left in May 09!!!!!!

Of COURSE I hadn't paid enough NI!!

:mad: :( That was my last hope to get a small amount of money whilst looking for a job (which is like looking for a needle in a haystack). I don't know what I'm going to say to my OH :crying:

2. Cassies-mum

Cassies-mum PetForums VIP

my brother was on job seekers but cant work now because he doesnt get on with people and has mental health issues (idk what it is but i think its depression of some sort..., he gets annoyed over very small things...)

sorry but i cant really help you, but its ridiculous looking for a job at the moment, my sisters OH has been looking for 2 years and nothing

3. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

o.m.g thats digusting so how do people live on benefits for years that have never worked how have they paid n.i's then.

4. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

There's 2 types of job seekers. The one for people who haven't worked and the other one for people like me who have worked.

Why couldn't they use the tax year 08/09? I told them everything over the phone including when I started my job and when I left. Surely they would have known then I wouldn't be accepted! Can't believe I've hung round for weeks feeling happier because I will be able to pay more bills off with that money and now it's gone straight down the toilet :crying:

5. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

So basically if you have paid nothing you get the lot, if youve paid max you get the lot, if you've paid in alittle bit you get nothing.:confused: Typically british.

6. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

In a way yes :(

I'd only been working for 2 months when the 08 tax year ended...I paid a lot of tax in the new tax year!! :mad: I'm so angry and I don't think there's anything I can do about it :(

7. Biawhiska

Biawhiska PetForums VIP

you need to go down there and ask to speak to an advisor and tell them, you will be entitled to something... believe it or not they are there to help. Please go back there and talk to them.

8. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Hiya huni,
    Sorry your having a bad time at the moment.........

Just a thought, but do you still have your p60's from when you were working???
    If so send em in to the tax man, you may get a tax refund! I did this a few years back, wasnt expecting a lot, but i ended up getting nearly £300 pound, so its worth a try huni!

Your luck will change eventually sequeena!

9. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thank you, I will try. Perhaps they can calculate it with the 08/09 tax year :)

I have my p45 LW don't have a P60 though

10. CreativeLC

CreativeLC PetForums VIP

The job centre is a joke full stop.
    I was supposed to have a 15 minute interview today to help me, i was there for 2 minutes.

11. Ladywiccana

Ladywiccana PetForums VIP

Try your p45 then huni i think they accept those too, and they will post them back to you! Good luck.

12. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thank you I will!

13. Oblada

Oblada Guest

Sorry to hear that

JSA-contribution based is based on the last 2 tax years of contributions before the financial year in which you are claiming
    so if you claim in 2009 (be in January or any other month) they will look at April-March 2007-2008 and April-March 2006-2007.
    You also need to have earned above a certain amount (to pay NI class 1) for a certain period of time in BOTH years.

Its just how it works...

You should maybe go to CAB and get a benefit check...

hope everything is going to be well!
    xx

14. Oblada

Oblada Guest

JSA income based is not for people who havent worked its for people looking for work but who have very limited means...its for everybody who meets those criteria. JSA contribution will be for 6 months for anybody who meets the contribution criteria whether or not they have means apart from that!

I know its a bit late now telling you this but people at the JobCenter dont always know what they are talking about - better pop in the local CAB and get a benefit check to know properly what you are entitled to!

If your partner works he may be entitled to more working tax credit since you dont work anymore.
    You need to check the whole lot and see where that takes you!

xx

15. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks for clarifying. I can't believe that even though I worked the whole of last year I'm going to get bugger all :(

16. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

You wont get a penny unless ur a chav or an immigrant :rolleyes:

17. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

It certainly feels like it :(

18. Oblada

Oblada Guest

very sweeping comment there...totally wrong and quite offensive to be honest!

19. Oblada

Oblada Guest

just see it as the criteria is roughly that you have to have worked for the last 3 years or so..

The year you just worked wont go to waste..say if in 2 years time you have another bout of unemployment you can rely on it then (and you would not necessarily be able to if you could rely on it now...)

I understand it may not seem fair right now though...

20. mindymoo

mindymoo PetForums Member

Hmmm not wrong, from personal experiance and obviously other peoples.

I have worked all my life yet when I was stuck they wouldnt give me penny!

Ever been in this situation?? If the answer is no then you cant really comment

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice