Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Job, Animal Welfare

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GSDlover4ever, Jun 8, 2010.

1. GSDlover4ever

GSDlover4ever PetForums VIP

At the moment i am looking for an animal related job.

I have been thinking what happenes if you had a job in an animal related job, however you noticed a welfare issue regarding the house of their animals.

For instaane some young rabbits and small gunea pigs in together?

What would you do?

Bring it to the boses attention, what happens if they say no.....?

#1 GSDlover4ever, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  2. GSDlover4ever

Anybody........?

3. sarahcoll

sarahcoll PetForums Newbie

:confused:: dont really understand what you mean ?

4. KateandCasper

KateandCasper PetForums Member

I though Rabbits and Guinea Pigs could live together?

................but I guess I would raise my concerns with my manager, if they wouldnt listen then I suppose you have to decide if it was an " in an ideal situation" senario - for instance better if they are not together but not essential or an " animal cruelty" senario.

If it is cruelty and when I had raised it the manager did nothing, I would report it to the authorities and think that I probably wouldnt want to work for a place that didnt address or think animal cruelty was a problem.

5. GSDlover4ever

I'm talking about highlighting certain issues to the person higher up than you (boss?) with regards to an animal welfare matter.

And when told about situation they refuse/ ingore situation.

For instane i have been taught different things with regard to the care of aniamls at college and know the needs of certain animals.

For instance i was in a pet shop today and a 2 guinea pigs were in the same cage as 2 rabbits. These aniamls shoulded be housed together, as the rabbits could easily injure the guinea pigs.

6. GSDlover4ever

I have been taught at college that they shouldn't be housed together as they both need different things, especially with regards to minerals.

a rabbit could also easily injure a guinea pig.

7. HoneyFern

HoneyFern PetForums VIP

If you take a job in animal welfare than it's very rare you'd have a problem like that as anyone above you would know/understand the rules and regs. of housing animals but I'm sure they'd listen if you had a problem. However, if you're just talking about a job in a pet shop then most don't really care about animal welfare and just want to make a quick sale.

8. sarahcoll

I really think it depends on the cirumstances, as for houseing rabbits and guinea pigs, for years people have been keeping them together and had no problems. On paper there are loads of things that your not suposed to do and that goes for everything not just animal welfare. If the animal are looking healthy and stress free i cant see there being a problem. I think exprience is better than paper most of the time. But if i was working somewhere and i could see that something like that was happening and the animals were being stressed out i would put it forward to the boss.

#8 sarahcoll, Jun 8, 2010
  9. GSDlover4ever

i have been thinking about applying for a pet shop job and 2 of the rabbits and guinea pics were housed together.

They seemed to be really knowlegable though, well with regards to the fish care atleast....

10. sarahcoll

I think that makes a bad name for all pet shops not all are like that i say the big super pets shops are like that more than the small local ones. If your happy with everything else about the shop and just concerned about what you have seem with the rabbits maybe you could go in for a chat about it first and see what they say about it if they fob you off so to speak well maybe they are not the best of people to work for. :)

#10 sarahcoll, Jun 8, 2010
  11. GSDlover4ever

the other rabbits were seperate

their was only one pen with the 2 rabbits and the 2 guinea pigs.

I didn't notice anything else, the parrots were in huge cages....

they had a good variety of fish and their was no dead ones, i have noticed that in places like pets at home.

12. sarahcoll

It sounds like they are fine :) go for it and still if you have any concerns pop in and have a chat with them. What harm can it do :) and i think it will put your mind at ease. Iam guessing this will be your first job doing something like this. There will always be times when you may not agree with how other people do things. But remember if your not happy with something you should talk it through with who ever it is boss/ leader. Good luck :thumbup:

13. GSDlover4ever

ye it is. :)

14. Paul Dunham

Paul Dunham PetForums Senior

Rabbits injure another rabbits too. Rabbits and Guinea pigs have always been kept together and from time to time you can have problems, especially if their environment is too small. Guinea pigs must have vitamin C in their diet or they will die. That is the principle difference. Rabbits also benefit from vitamin C.

Colleges are always putting out misinformation to their students. The problem being they don't listen to the real experts who keep them and breed them. They listen to academic's who have never kept them and read it in a book somewhere.

15. sarahcoll

well said :thumbup:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice