Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jeremy Kyle Show

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cheekyscrip, May 14, 2019.

?

Jeremy Kyle Show stay or go ?

1. Stay

4 vote(s)
    10.5%
  2. Go

33 vote(s)
    86.8%
  3. Not sure

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

2. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Mixed views on this to tell you the truth, so perhaps a, "Don't know" as well in the poll?

No one is forced to appear on the programme, including the person who died. Many appear for their five minutes of fame.

Likewise, no one is forced to watch the programme.

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Only seen it a couple of times.

I think the whole show is dreadful and so is Jeremy Kyle Full of his own importance.

The whole thing is trashy, IMO.

4. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I've never been a fan tbh...whilst I know that no one is forced to appear on the show, I always found JK to be invidious and found it very uncomfortable to watch.
    Not my kind of car crash TV at all but not sure it should be banned...I don't know really o_O

Lurcherlad and cheekyscrip like this.
  5. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I don't like it at all …. it's like a modern day freakshow where people are encouraged to laugh at those who are poor & disadvantaged. Maybe no-one is actually forced but there has been previous allegations of guests being plied with alcohol & stirred up before going on. Many people want their 5mins of 'fame' as they have f*ck all else in their lives …. I hope it doesn't come back

6. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

cheekyscrip likes this.
  7. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I seriously don't know how people can watch it.

I like it to spectators at cock fights. You're getting your jollies off watching people hurt each other, physically or emotionally. Either way it's sick IMO the sooner we see it for what it is - entertainment at the pain of others, the better off we'll be as a society.

8. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

This form of "Reality entertainment" originated from the US with Jerry Springer.

Arguably, it's best perhaps to have a group of people arguing in a "controlled environment" than in public where the consequences could be severe with persons suffering life changing injuries or even death.

I'm not a boxing fan, but don't believe it should be banned as, again it's a punch up in a controlled environment. Better to have that than take it underground even if it could be argued the participants are taking part voluntarily.

Calvine likes this.
  9. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

They are setting these people up to attack each other, for the purposes of entertainment.

Why do you think they only invite people onto that show who have serious issues with each other?

It really is nothing about enabling people to have an argument in a 'controlled environment', it's about creating an explosive situation that some enjoy watching.

Nothing good comes out of it.

Cleo38, Vicbloss, Lurcherlad and 2 others like this.
  10. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

See, I think I would rather watch a boxing match than a Jeremy Kyle show. And I don't enjoy boxing at all.
    But with boxing the participants sign up knowing exactly what to expect, they're properly trained, are matched to an opponent fairly, there are set rules for safety (granted with a lot to be desired). It's not a free-for all. And again, I'm not supporting boxing.
    But most importantly, the 'fight' in boxing doesn't have to include an emotional component, and arguably, is better when it doesn't.
    My son does a form of martial arts, and it's very noticeable to me how much camaraderie there is at tournaments. Folks who are opponents in the ring are happy to see each other, compliment each other on good fights, and hang out as friends after the tournament. It's a very different vibe.

11. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Ive caught bits of it sometimes. I think it should go.

12. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

No, perhaps it doesn't. But the point I'm making is no one is forced to take part and should be aware of this before coming on the programme unless they're stupid which, sadly, many of the guests are.

I find the whole programme depressing, then I'm not forced to watch it either.

Then, I think the same about daytime tv in general. The Test Card was much better.

mrs phas and Calvine like this.
  13. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

Yeah...that's a bit unfair, especially when MH is going to be playing a part with a large proportion of his guests.

O2.0 and HarlequinCat like this.
  14. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

You took the words out of my mouth - been going for years, so someone must watch it.

KittenKong likes this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious:Hilarious

KittenKong likes this.
  16. grumpy goby

grumpy goby Grumpy wench.

Years ago jon ronson wrote about how he interviewed a “recruiter” for JK or similar and she described how she used what medication they were on to assess their “entertainment value”
    Schizophrenia type meds, too scary. This would make the audience uncomfortable.
    nothing or low end anxiety meds... too boring.
    Mid-range meds’ for mental illness is just right. They may prove unstable enough to be entertaining yet not so much it makes people uncomfortable.

It’s absolutely abusing vulnerable people for the sake of entertainment. A lot of these people are not mentally impaired in a serious way however vulnerable enough to be taken advantage of by tv execs.
    They are told they will be supported, manipulated and boozed up and then thrown to the lions.
    Should have been canned years ago IMO.

Jenny Olley, Cleo38, Jackie C and 3 others like this.
  17. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

It’s car crash tv at it’s worst imo and many of the people on JK are mentally fragile it seems and vulnerable. Not sure they really do make an “educated” choice to appear.

It’s quite disturbing just how many people enjoy watching other people shown up in public.

Same with the gossip mags,
    and reality shows as well as some celebrity shows.

Recently started to watch the celeb SAS programme but turned it off as it was unnecessarily cruel and seemed to just want to humiliate the participants.

Even the celeb “Full Monty” shows - sold as raising awareness for cancer (which obviously is great) but is there really any need for them to strip naked?

All very uncomfortable to watch, just the brief snippets that I have seen.

18. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I wouldn't watch this programme if there was nothing else on TV.

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

No but they may be tempted by a bit of fame, a night out, expenses paid, etc which for some people in poverty (as am sure a lot are) this is an attractive offer.

Maybe you do think these people are 'stupid' or maybe it's that a lot didn't have opportunities that many of us were lucky enough to have, very easy to judge at times without knowing all the facts. That opinion sadly shows participants on the show have been sort of relegated to a type of person that it's ok to laugh at, ok to look down on & ok to judge ….. yes, it might seem like a bit of harmless fun but I honestly don't think it is, I think it says a lot about our society & it's time to go.

20. Vicbloss

Vicbloss PetForums Junior

Agree up until the Full Monty type shows. I think the stripping naked part is not only integral to the show but helps the participants feel if they can do that, they can do anything. Shows the friends and relatives who are affected by cancer how much they care too. Although you can't help that some of the participants are at least in part just pleased to have been invited back on TV!
    Overall I think they are good shows though and they work because I've started to check myself.
    Can't say anything positive about JK but hopefully we've seen the last of him and his ilk.

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice