Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jem's Urine Test Results Back

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Laura_&_Cats, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Laura_&_Cats

Laura_&_Cats PetForums Member

So, as many of you know I rushed my boy Jem into the emergency vets on Friday evening after noticing blood in his urine...

The vet called today with the urine test results - they didn't look at it under the microscope for bacteria due to the age of the sample (I took it on Sunday and the vets only got it first thing Monday), but have run the other tests, she says she's happy not to do any further tests for now.

Apparently there was blood in the sample (which as mentioned we think is from him licking himself down there following neuter, he is very red and inflamed and on Metacam) but also showed presence of protein.

The vet says that protein in urine can be a sign of kidney problems, but she wouldn't jump to that conclusion in such a young cat (just turning 11 months today!), as it can also be a symptom of stress.

She has recommended a medication called Nutracys which I will be picking up shortly, apparently this supports normal urinary tract function and reduces stress, does anyone have any experience of this?

I guess there are probably things I can be doing diet-wise to help him too - extra water on food maybe? Any particular foods that may help? (maybe @chillminx can help here!)

I'm still very worried, but hopefully just something stress-related I can sort...

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi @Laura_&_Cats - I am sorry to hear little Jem has protein in his urine, bless him. Nutracys contains all the good things to help the bladder, and reduces irritation, soothes, reduces stress and helps reduce inflammation.

If Jem is eating normally I would stick to his normal diet - wet food only, no dry food at present. Would he lap up home made chicken broth perhaps? That would increase his fluid intake.

If he has lost his appetite a bit then I'd suggest some poached white fish for one of his meals, with plenty of the cooking juice. I find my cat is very soothed by this when he is off his food., He sleeps for hours afterwards. :)

Gallifreyangirl and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  3. Laura_&_Cats

Thanks so much! He's eating, but not quite as well as his sister - I will stick to his normal wet food, and try homemade chicken broth and poached fish for him too.

I've completely stopped the dry now, for both of them - she doesn't care at all, she barely touched it anyway. I am worried this is potentially my fault though, for moving them off Whiskas Dry too quickly - the vet didn't seem to think so, but she also seemed to think that was a perfectly fine diet for them anyway... I did attempt to transition them gradually (I swapped one meal at a time, basically), but I guess it was still fairly quick, as I just couldn't bear feeding them what I thought was rubbish food when I had loads of good stuff! Now I'm worried that he has protein in his wee because I've moved him onto a diet with too much protein he's not used to... but I'm just very worried and anxious in general, really!

I'm also worried about his kidneys, although the vet did say that problems like that are unlikely at his age and stress is the most probable cause... If this is the stress of being rehomed from a horrible place the same day as being neutered, then I understand completely... the house they came from was stressful enough for me, and I was probably there less than an hour! If there's anything more I could be doing to reduce his stress though, advice would be appreciated.

He's been going outside of the litter trays, both near them and in a few random places around the house (I think I have identified them all and am keeping on top of them!) The vet says it is common, I am trying to clean the trays after every use so he will be happy with them... I have also moved the downstairs two a bit further away from one another, I left hers and put the one he had been using in a corner where he has weed a couple of times in case he wants more privacy, I've left the landing one where it is. Would another tray help maybe?

He spends most of the time playing, sleeping and eating - he is a little clingier than he was, he was very independent at first, he also seems to have less patience for his sister licking him, so is clearly feeling under the weather, but is generally okay apart from the toilet issues - I'm definitely noticing less blood now, so the Metacam is doing something I think. I have relaxing cat music and cat TV on for them lol.

I'm just very worried, they are both so lovely and have had such a bad start, I just want them to be happy and healthy!

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Laura, I expect Jem is avoiding the litter tray and using spots around the house because he currently associates the litter tray with pain or discomfort. This is something cats tend to do if they have a UTI or cystitis.

You could try adding an extra tray, but if he is associating litter trays with pain he might be more attracted to puppy training pads placed strategically around the house, or next to the trays, as puppy pads are softer to pee on than cat litter. If he avoids the puppy pads placed next to the trays he may prefer pads placed away from the trays so there is not the mental association for Jem of the litter trays themselves.

Laura_&_Cats likes this.
  5. Laura_&_Cats

Thank you, that does make perfect sense with the litter trays, as he was fine with them before! I think he got his first bit of discomfort when he was using one of the trays, it wasn't long after he came out that I ended up rushing him to the vets - 10-15 minutes at most - so I guess he is probably associating them with pain, and possibly also the stress of the vets.

One benefit of him going on the floor is that it's easier to keep an eye on! His wee doesn't seem to have blood now, and seems like a more normal amount, he is doing much less of the straining for a wee when he doesn't need one and just leaving a few drops of blood, too. Fingers crossed he will soon be on the mend now he has the Nutracys too. :Happy

Thanks so much for all your help, @chillminx, and Jem and Scout thank you too! You really do have such useful advice, and are always helping people on here - I've picked up so much great stuff from your posts to others, too.

I'd love to see your house lol - I bet it's a wonderful place for cats! :Cat Although you have made me want to save up for HiCat stuff now, it's all fantastic, but not cheap - thanks for that! :D I may look into making my own in the meantime, but I really want a 'custom freestanding Fatcat 4'... well, in an ideal world, I'd want two of those, and the 'Cat Wall', and the modular thing... why not at that price?! lol.

chillminx likes this.
  6. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Hides away from much through humour...

Worth repeating the protein assessment once the blood is cleared - blood contains protein and will increase the level.

chillminx and Laura_&_Cats like this.
  7. Laura_&_Cats

Thank you - I did read that! I will arrange to take a fresh sample in for testing early next week after a few days on the Nutracys, I think. I'm sure the blood is clearing now - his urine looks more like normal, and he is definitely licking and straining less, so I think in the few days he's been on the Metacam it's already helped. :Happy

chillminx and Gallifreyangirl like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice