Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jealousy in Dogs

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SEVEN_PETS, Jun 8, 2010.

1. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

Do you find that dogs brought up in multi dog households are less likely to develop jealousy issues with their owner?

Do you find that dogs brought up in single dog households are more likely to develop jealousy issues with their owner?

I am basing this on that dogs in multi dog households learn how to share their owner's attention with other dogs, whereas dogs in single dog households never learn this ability.

2. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

My two are fine at sharing but one of mine gets very possessive of me if another dog comes in the house.

He has a possessive nature tho, when new dogs come in (ones he knows at least) he will get possessive over the kitchen and food.

He also gets possessive over other owners too I ask people not to fuss him but at times they have done or given him a biscuit and their dog has come over and he has gone for it. (I try my best to avoid this but people don't listen to the simple advice please ignore him and DONT feed him)

He is INCREDIBLY greedy and I think it all stems from thinking with other owners there may be food around and its HIS.

3. cav

cav PetForums VIP

My dogs are not like this im in charge not them the only time they will fall out is over bones so we avoid them and they have treats and toys instead.

4. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

IMO its more down to how the owner trains the dog then how many you have. I hate any growling/hissing near me and the offending animal has always been turfed off my lap and ignored so they have all learnt that mum time is to be shared.:)
    I dont think it makes a difference to their behaviour outside either. My lot behave totally differently to dogs they meet then to each other. Though with other people its always a joint free for all to get lots of cuddles!:rolleyes:

5. Montys_Mum

Montys_Mum PetForums Member

It's not something I'd considered before.

I think Monty can get jealous, but it is just a bit of whine. If there are a lot of people around he doesn't care, so long as he is getting attention from someone lol

6. Jess2308

Jess2308 PetForums VIP

I think it dpends on the dog. I have 5 dogs and they all get on very well, they are happy about sharing attention, or having individual attention. However, when my Gracie pug was still with us I had some major issues with her and my older pug Delilah. They did not seem to like each other anyway and their were some dominance issues when Gracie got to about a year old and they were trying to ascertain the hierarchy I guess. But when one had individual attention the other would become very pushy and on a couple of occassions it did turn into full on fights. It was not a nice experience and not one i have ever had before or since from any of my dogs, or dogs i have had for training, so i have put it down to their individual personalities. They were ok once discipline had been regained!! And once they had sorted their pecking order out between them. But on the whole I have found that living as a little pack seems to work well as they know their place in the pack and i dont have any disagreements between my dogs either amongst themselves, or when they're with me.

7. silly gilly

silly gilly PetForums Member

Ive got three and they are brilliant over attention etc, they all have their own liitle ways about the fuss and attention they want. My little cairn always sits on my lap in the evening, the lurcher lies next to her ands gets stroked and the Patterdale lies on the floor and asks my oh to scratch his belly. They are also good with food and treats and all sit there waiting their turn for a treat, I always ask them to do something for it, sit, down or wait and they love it. Saying that they dont like other dogs coming into the house although they are ok outside with calm dogs. The lurcher is very protective over me with strangers but he was a rescue and is getting better, its not really a bad thing i guess as nobody could get in the house uninvited:)

8. moboyd

moboyd PetForums VIP

I have 5 dogs and notice their is a little jealousy, my older boy would come over and try to slyly push his way in if the other boy is getting attention, I wont stand for it and will get up and walk away when he does it, but apart from that there is not much going on with them.

Mo

9. Terrier Fan

Terrier Fan PetForums VIP

My girls are fine but they are very independant :)

The boys however sometimes are sometimes jealous of each other. They are both quite clingy.

They are never nasty, they just seem to like one on one time with me :)
    They also push past each other to get the first kiss and cuddle when i come home from work :D

I think it may be because they are fairly close in age and have similar personalities :)

10. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

Out of my 6 the 2 ex-puppy farm dogs demand attention and have taken ages for them to understand that they can share it with the other dogs and if I'm giving one of the others attention it's not necessary for them to push in. My other 4 even though rescues are not as demanding and share perfectly happily, the 2 ex-puppy farm dogs have now learnt and get effection and attention off their pack members as much as off me...infact more so really. They are a wonderful pack I never have squabbles or fall outs they will share everything, last night Sidney was chewing on a bone and Sumo popped into the bed and started chewing the other end...stayed like that for over an hour and no complaints. :thumbup:

11. EmCHammer

EmCHammer PetForums VIP

We never have family squabbles nor with extended family which includes best friends dogs and mums dog.

The only time we have trouble is with new dogs till they find their place with eachother or strange dogs on walks, often brought about by other peoples actions - and would say its possessiveness over what we call the 'virtual food' syndrome from one rather than jealousy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice