Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jealous behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Matilda32, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Matilda32

Matilda32 PetForums Junior

My Border Terrier Holly is behaving very jealous if Lola our Shihtzu has a treat in her mouth, or a toy etc... she will bark and go at her face. Not biting but she will put her mouth around her mouth and not open it until Lola drops it. It started suddenly last year, it is quite scary when she does it. It scares Lola alot and I feel so sorry for her. Holly will then back off and leave Lola alone. They are the best of friends and this is the only time Holly changes from her usual soft as a brush self.

Today I was walking Holly and another dog was walking past. Holly started pulling and the other dog barked and jumped at her. Holly then jumped back and wrapped her mouth around the other dogs and wouldn't let go. I felt dreadful, so embarrassed. The owner of the other dog couldn't open Hollys mouth, she was locked tight. I managed to get her off. The other dog then dropped a ball. I realised that was why Holly did it. I apologised, close to tears, it was horrible. The other dog was fine and its owners were lovely and told me not to worry at all.

On the way home we passed another dog, again she pulled but they just sniffed and she was fine.

How can I stop her being like this. Last year she was jumped on and attacked by another dog, since then she has acted up with jealousy. She is a lovely dog, real sweet heart but this jealousy is horrible. Thankfully it rarely happens but I worry when walking her she will always go for another dog. :confused:

2. Matilda32

Can anyone help or maybe been in a similar situation? :confused:

3. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

I would pop her on a lead and give your other dog a reward, correct her if she tries to go near the other dog with a light tug on the lead. The second she looks away from your other dog praise and give her a reward. Do this several times a day and eventually remove the need for the lead. Ask to meet up with friends and their dogs and practice it out doors with them too.

Hope his helps.

Stacey xxx

4. Matilda32

Thank you Stacey, I shall try that today.

She is fine with her sister (as we call her, lol) it is just when Lola has a ball or a treat she will go for her if I turn my back, so she knows it's wrong.

I couldn't believe she actually bit another dog yesterday because she had a ball, it was so out of the blue, I felt terrible:(

5. Staceybob

Staceybob PetForums Member

No problem. Yeah id imagine that would be pretty horrible to see but at least you can try and nip it in the bud now.

Stacey xxx

6. Matilda32

She had been ok for a long while, not really that jealous if Lola had a treat or a ball, it has just come back recently.

I walked her earlier and she was much better. We passed a dog, she barked but only because the other dog barked at her first, she then walked on whimpering a little.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice