Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jealous behaviour? How do i stop it?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by WelshOneEmma, Mar 26, 2011.

1. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Have noticed when on walks with Piper that when a dog approaches me, she seems to put herself in the way. She doesn't get aggressive or anything, but if she is playing with dogs and one comes up to me, she will instantly come over (even if playing with another) and push herself inbetween us. She also does it to my OH, but me more than him. She then tries to get the dog to play with her. I am not sure what thats all about?

I have noticed if we approach a person on their own (ie no dog) she will go say hello. If its someone with a dog, she won't go to them but the dog. Even when they try to call her and she's not playing with the dog, she won't go up to another dogs owner.

Any idea what this is? And if its jealousy, how do i nip this in the bud?

She is now 1 year old (going through a VERY disobedient stage) and has been spayed. Will approach any dog of any size and doesnt seem to be scared of anything.

2. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

My 2 prefer to approach other dogs rather than their owners - dogs are much more fun ;)
    She probably thinks if you're fussing another dog then it must be a very fun and interesting dog and she wants to get in on the action :D

3. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

She's feeling her feet and pushing the boundaries :D:D:D:D

Sorry, I'm laughing because we've been there so many times (and are currently:rolleyes:) Heidi started this malarky when she was about a year and every so often will try it again but usually with something new just to trick me:)

The answer is to tighten the boundaries. Everything you ask of her, expect it now - not in a minute and dont accept half measures. Heidi's favourite when asked to go on her bed is to lie beside it and me like a numpty - accept it:D That's usually the start of our decline and before I know it, I have an unruly little madam, calling all the shots.

So insist all "asks" are carried out to the letter. Lots dont agree with this but I reinforce my rule of "me first" - I go thro all doorways, gates etc before her. Ask her to "wait" if she goes ahead. This seems to give me back some of the respect that I've lost and puts us back on track again.

When I'm out if Heidi tries to keep other dogs away, I will ask her to sit, call the other dog over and make a sensible (not gushing fuss), watching her all the time and telling her to stay. I then walk away from the dog, if it hasnt left me and make a huge fuss of her (with treats). She sometimes gets protective over her treats and will snarl at another dog if it comes over when I'm treating her. I dont treat her. Ask her to sit and the other dog, after asking the owner, I will treat the other dog (which I dont like doing)and her. Depending on the situation whether it's her or the other dog first.

Someone once said to me that she had done all her training and now it was her turn to train me and boy does it feel like that when she starts.

You will sort it I'm sure but it wont happen overnight and will probably happen again and again further down the line until you become a dab hand at it.:D Of course, if we werent such softy's, it wouldnt happen in the first place :rolleyes:

4. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

That is how I used to get my retriever to come back! He was never out of sight, but didn't want to come back so I would find another dog to fuss and he would be straight over! Perhaps he just wants to join in. I think if it was jealousy he would be a bit more threatening.

Mine too will go see dog-free people, but always their dog if they have one.

5. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Dillon is 14 months old, when he was 12 months he has hit teenager with a big BANG, NO does not apply to him, unless it's his advantage, has selective hearing most of the time. But at long last, walking him is getting a lot better he only jumps up me a few times sometime now, I can sometimes take him out jump free.

I've been told they grow out of this behaviour, when they are about two, I don't want to wish his life, just that he will listen to me.

6. WelshOneEmma

WelshOneEmma PetForums VIP

Phew, so that element of her behaviour is nothing to worry about then? Just the rest of it!

Little horror ran out of the house yesterday into the front (we live in a Court area). OH is not as bothered as watching her, until yesterday when she ran off (we couldnt get her back for love nor money nor treats) and then she ran across the road in front of a car! Was so angry and mortified. She is no longer allowed out the front unless on a lead. We are now going back to basics as she is worse now than when we first got her. This last month she has really started pushing it. Anyone want a dog??? :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice