UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have four cats and three litter trays, one of the trays is hooded. Jazzy has dor a while now occasionally pooed on bath mats, there is no problem if we dont put mats down.

just now he managed to pull a towel of the radiator and sat there and done his bussiness on it...then marched to the lounge where he peed on my rug (dry clean only :rolleyes: )

How can i help him stop this behavior?

He is happy and healthy in himself, im so confused :(

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
As you say he peed on the towel and then went straight to the living room and peed on the rug, this is not usual behaviour and he is either scent-marking or else he has a urinary tract infection, which will make him wee often and choose soft surfaces instead of cat litter.

Peeing frequently but not passing much urine each time, would suggest a UTI. Is this what he is doing regularly?

If he is scent-marking, then it is because he feels he does not have enough of a share in the "territory" to make him feel comfortable. I would put down more litter trays - the rule of thumb is one litter tray per cat plus one extra, so in your case it means 5 litter trays for 4 cats. Spread them around in different areas of the house, areas of low 'traffic', so the cats have privacy when they toilet. This might be enough in itself to stop Jazzy toiletting in the wrong places.

It might also be worth experimenting with different types of litter -- use an unscented one that is soft and sand like in consistency, such as the cereal based ones (if you are not already doing so:))

·
Banned
2,638 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He done it again on the bathroom floor today sans towel :(

will buy more litter trays tom but for now and until i can afford some feliway jazzy cat will be staying in the spare room

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.