Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jasper's Progress.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by April Pearl, Dec 26, 2019.

1. April Pearl

April Pearl PetForums Member

I’m sorry, this is going to be quite a long read.

I got a new pomeranian puppy called Jasper last Friday (Friday the 20th). He was 8 weeks and 4 days old at the time.

Some relevant background information: Jasper is very small. On the day I got him he was 353g. I was a bit surprised to discover that because the breeder told me he had been 355g at his health check on Monday the 16th so he hadn’t grown for 4 days when I got him.

One of Jasper’s brothers died at 6 weeks old. I believe the one that died stopped growing for a while before he died (but in the end he died of aspiration pneumonia). Jasper has stopped growing so I worry it could be something similar.

Jasper is also deaf, but that’s not really relevant to this story.

When I was at the breeder’s house to pick him up, Jasper did do a runny poo but the breeder said it was normal for a puppy. So, I guess on reflection his poos are not an issue

After a few hours with Jasper at home we were concerned that his poos were still runny so we took him to the vet. The vet thought he had diarrhea and prescribed pro-kolin.

The pro-kolin did not firm up his poos but other than that, everything seemed fine on Saturday. He was eating as much as he wanted five times a day (butternut box mixed with some royal canin mousse as per the breeder’s instructions) so I assumed that all was well.

Early on Sunday morning, he was showing definite signs of hypoglycemia. We rubbed some of the syrup thst the breeder gave us on his gums and rushed him to the out of hours emergency vets who found that his glucose levels were very low. They gave him glucose by mouth and kept him in for all of Sunday and Sunday night. Although they fed him every two hours, he went hypoglycemic again with them. They thought he was stable so they let him go on Monday morning.

At Jasper’s vet check up on Tuesday morning, his blood sugar had crashed to 1.1 although I had been feeding him as often as he would eat (I stayed up all night with him).

The vet referred Jasper to the Royal Veterinary College where he has been an inpatient since Tuesday. Despite hourly feedings, he kept going hypoglycemic with them, so he is on a glucose drip now but his blood sugar still keeps dropping and he has been reluctant to eat. He has also lost weight and is now 340g so very underweight. They have started feeding him every half hour now.

They have also been unable to clear up his diarrhea, which could be a contributing factor to his blood sugar drops. However like I said, the breeder says it’s not diarrhoea so I don’t know what to make of the vets’ comments on it.

They don’t yet know why this is happening. Some stool samples were taken by the out of hours emergency vets on Sunday but results from those tests won’t come back until tomorrow due to the bank holiday.

He is too small for them to safely get out enough blood for a proper blood test. And they would have to sedate him in order to scan him which could be risky, given how small he is.

I don’t know why this is happening. The breeder says he has never gone hypoglycemic before which makes me feel it must be something that I did. The only thing that occurs to me is his food. The breeder said he was eating the butternut box but to mix some puppy mousse in with it if he wouldn’t eat it on its own. He wouldn’t touch the butternut box by itself so I fed it to him mixed with the puppy mousse. I only learned recently (and when it was too late) that Jasper had only been switched onto the butternut box at the start of the week that I got him (the week before that he was on a mix of butternut box and puppy mousse but for most of his life eating solids he was on just puppy mousse), so I think he didn’t like the butternut box and so wasn’t eating enough, even when it was mixed with the puppy mousse. I just thought he had been eating it for weeks so I didn’t think to feed him only the puppy mousse or to feed him a higher ratio of puppy mousse to butternut box. And I had no idea how much he should be eating as the breeder just said to let him eat as much as he wanted which I was doing. I feel like if only I had fed him exclusively the puppy mousse this wouldn’t have happened.

Then again, I don’t understand why he keeps going hypoglycemic even when he’s eating frequently and has a drip in him. I guess maybe I set something off?

I have no illusions, I know that he will probably die and I’m absolutely devastated. I don’t think thar I will ever have another dog because clearly I am incompetent. I don’t know how I am going to live with myself after all this.

ETA: Now that Jasper is doing well and this thread is more positive, I thought I’d add in the pictures from Jasper’s first night at home (before he unfortunately had to go to hospital) below:
    C7409A64-1D06-4CC7-9998-7D68BE5EE8D8.jpeg EB073BB3-503D-4FC7-8FF3-CFA10C6CF689.jpeg E6F6FB95-DB67-4C83-AB38-2A8B2BC235B4.jpeg

A5A892BA-037E-4D8D-B7C0-BA835280F5FD.jpeg
    73F2717C-26B8-46DE-9810-C2D9E8A27042.jpeg 1BDFBE23-15EA-4730-8866-B62DCDEDFFC8.jpeg

#1 April Pearl, Dec 26, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  2. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

So sorry to hear this I doubt it is the change of food please don't blame yourself. A change of food can upset the tummy but I have never heard of this reaction. You have done the right thing getting him to the vets. Do you know how the siblings are ?

LinznMilly and Calvine like this.
  3. April Pearl

He had 3 brothers. To my knowledge, two are still alive but one of them did die at 6 weeks old. I believe the one that died stopped growing for a while before he died (but in the end he died of aspiration pneumonia). Jasper has stopped growing so I worry it could be something similar.

4. ForestWomble

ForestWomble PetForums VIP

I am so sorry to hear you are going through this.

Poor you and poor puppy.

I'm sure it is nothing you've done. I'm sorry to say it but I don't really trust the breeder.

5. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

How awful for you I really don't think it is fair the breeder blaming you.

karenmc likes this.
  6. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

I'm so sorry - it sounds like a heart breaking and worrying time for you.

I hope Jasper becomes stable - I wish there was more to say but he's in the best place, receiving care. He wouldn't be there receiving the care he needs if you were incompetent. Please don't blame yourself.

Obviously I'm likely assuming here but IMO a good ethical breeder wouldn't let a puppy go to a new home so small. Some toy breeders do keep puppies until 12 weeks, so they're stronger. I remember some of your first posts - you mentioned he was the runt of the litter and deaf, normally the small ones should catch up once they start eating solids rather than remaining very small. It's also a big issue with 'teacup' sizes - sadly it can be more common that puppies are simply too small and weak to survive.

LinznMilly, Calvine, Sairy and 4 others like this.
  7. Billbailey

Billbailey PetForums Member

I agree with the other posters, I don't think it's anything you did. In fact, you've gone above and beyond for this puppy so don't blame yourself.

8. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I would trust the vet where Jasper is, and not what the breeder is saying, and echo above about the breeder.

Currently Jasper is in the best place for him.

As I said before on another of your threads, you haven't done anything wrong.

9. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I really do not think you have done anything wrong except to get the poor puppy in the first place and give yourself so much heartache. Everything you have said about the breeder has screamed warnings at me. I am afraid you have been thoroughly done over and left with heartbreak and a massive bill. I am very sorry this happened to you. A good breeder would give you all your money back and possibly a bit more but my guess is this breeder will do nothing of the sort - not that it will help your situation really.

Just do not blame yourself, get angry in your thought against the breeder for talking rubbish to you. Of course runny poos are diarrahea, what the heck does she think they are! There might be different causes and it sounds as though the pup came from the breeder after the cause had taken hold and you were left in a very poor position with a sick puppy from the start. Personally I think a puppy that small should never be produced in the first place, it is not natural or correct and is highly unlikely to be viable.

PetloverJo, LinznMilly, Rafa and 13 others like this.
  10. April Pearl

Thank you. I think on reflection he shouldn’t have gone so small... But I thought because the breeder was letting him go it was ok. She is kennel club registered and really seems to care about her dogs.

Thank you. Jasper did come with 5 weeks of free insurance so we are hoping that will cover most of it... But even if he didn’t have any insurance, we’d have done the same. Once a pet enters our house they become a family member. I don’t think we will get any sort of refund but that isn’t top of my mind right now.

It is strange that he’s so small because it’s not as though his parents were both miniscule. His dad is 1.4kg and his mum is 2kg so both small but in the normal range for pomeranians. I put it down to the fact he is from a litter of 4, which is a big litter for pomeranians. We thought he was just a bit behind on growth and would make about 2kg as an adult.

11. adamantis

adamantis PetForums Member

"Early on Sunday morning, he was showing definite signs of hypoglycemia. We rubbed some of the syrup thst the breeder gave us on his gums and rushed him to the out of hours emergency vets who found that his glucose levels were very low."

Why did the breeder give you syrup? What did they say it was for?

12. April Pearl

She didn’t actually say what it was but she said “rub some of this on his gums if you think he has gone hypoglycemic”. I did some googling and from what I have read it must be something like Karo syrup. I think it was meant as just a precaution though - she said he’d never been hypo before when she gave it to us.

13. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I have never known a toy breeder to consider hypoglycemia, although toy breeds there is a correlation with hypoglycemia it's not common.

I don't get where kc registered makes a good breeder. There is no guarantee.. It helps but all it guarantees is known parentage: a family tree.

Pomeranians aren't usually suggested to leave their breeders by till 10 weeks old at the earliest, being a member of a breed club or following their protocol helps identify good breeders too.

Also, although white is recognised colour, its also a colour that unethical breeders are cashing in on top sadly. Go back 10 years or more, whites were not popular probably due to more risks to their health, now sites such as pets4homes which isn't really where good breeders advertise they are flooded with white poms.

Good Post @Blitz

14. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

It's not normal for a breeder to give you something in case the dog goes hypoglycemic. The breeder obviously knew something was up with the litter and yet still sold the pups with no real care for if they were healthy. I'd be contacting them now saying what's happened, asking for your money back for selling a sick dog, and contacting trading standards as well as the KC and council. Get them stopped as they will just continue to breed unhealthy dogs and more people will be put through the heartbreak you are going through. For your and the pup's sake I really hope he pulls through but please learn from this and make sure you don't buy from this sort of breeder again. Generally breeders breeding for tiny dogs and unusual colours aren't doing it to improve the breed. My boss breeds Miniature Pinschers and they generally don't go to their new home until 10 or 12 weeks as they are so tiny.
    I'm really sorry for you and your pup, but it never sounded like a good person to buy from.

lorilu, FletchNo1, Sairy and 8 others like this.
  15. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

@April Pearl I've been following your posts, and I have to wholeheartedly agree with @Blitz that this breeder sounds like a real doozy :(
    I mentioned my doubts about this breeder selling you a deaf puppy to begin with, that with responsible breeding practices there is no need to produce deaf puppies, but didn't want to belabor the point and take away from a happy puppy thread. But the point still stands, and now with more and more information coming out it sounds like this breeder acted highly irresponsibly and unethically. From selling a small pup so young, with runny poos, to actually giving you syrup in case of hypoglycemia - they knew that was a possibility which makes me think he had had those issues before.

Please, please don't blame yourself. This is bad breeding practices, not bad ownership. Though you could save others the same heartache by following through and making sure the breeder has some sort of consequence.

I wish your poor little pup the best, and hope he gets through this.

16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

You are NOT incompetent. Your breeder has bred a litter of poor puppies. Your puppy is deaf. His brother died. Your puppy was moved on too soon - likely because the breeder knew there were problems. She clearly knew already he was sick so gave you syrup to rub on his gums - why, FFS - the proper route would be for her to take him to the vet, not give you a stopgap treatment. She has behaved appallingly and I would be getting in touch with the Kennel Club, the Local Authorities who license her, the RSPCA and perhaps even the police; or at least a solicitor for legal advice if you paid her money. Legally dogs are classified as property and what you have been sold is not fit for purpose so I think you have a decent case. Trevor Cooper at www.doglaw.co.uk can probably advise but please STOP blaming yourself and accept your only fault here is being emotionally attached.

17. April Pearl

Thank you everyone. I guess I just assumed that, when it comes to toy dogs, it’s normal protocol for breeders to give new owners something in case of hypoglycemia.

We met Jasper when he was 4.5 weeks old. During that first meeting he was very sleepy and wouldn’t be woken up. The breeder squirted some clear liquid into his mouth with some kind of syringe and said something like: “I have this in case they go hypoglycemic, but I’m using it to wake him up”. Whether or not the breeder realised it at the time, I suppose he could have been hypoglycemic then and that’s why it woke him up.

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

Either she didn't realize it and is ignorant to the point of neglect, or did realize it and told you a porkie to avoid you knowing how poorly the pup was. Personally I don't like either option.

I'm sorry but I think you're talking about a highly irresponsible, unethical breeder, and I hope you have the strength to pursue this legally so that breeders like these get the message that what they are doing is not okay.

19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I think that is being generous and kind. If you knew a puppy needed glucose, I think you would also know it was very sick.

LinznMilly, Calvine, havoc and 7 others like this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

Stop trying to make excuses for this dreadful breeder. Everything you say makes them sound worse and worse. Of course the breeder realised it, she was keeping the pup alive till she could find someone to buy the poor thing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice