Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jasper Needs a lamp on?

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Purplecatlover, Mar 4, 2021.

1. Purplecatlover

Purplecatlover PetForums VIP

At night Jasper will meow and howl if I turn all the lights off. It’s so bizarre, I have to leave a lamp on in the living room, which my bedroom is directly connected to (I can’t close my door as he can open them and I use the toilet around 50,000 a night haha)

anyone had this before? I know the answer is to probably just turn it off and deal with the meowing but I feel so mean.

Thankyou :)

2. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I'd turn it off.

My cats like the dark and play more when the lights are off. So it's likely he isn't distressed by it. Their eyes aren't designed for light anyway are they?

Summercat likes this.
  3. Purplecatlover

i will do it tonight & just try ignore him meowing. It’s so weird I tried turning it off last night n he wasn’t happy so I gave up. Need more willpower haha

4. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Try distracting him with something?

Buggers aren't they? :D

Purplecatlover likes this.
  5. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Not at all. If he wants a light on, leave one on. LED bulbs use very little electricity. You could try a nightlight.

How old is he?

6. Purplecatlover

hes 4. The issue is, when there’s a lamp on its visible to all my rooms including my bedroom. I can’t close my door as he opens it, scratches the carpet and the door and meows.
    The issue isn’t the cost, its causing loss of sleep for me too as my living room is directly connected to my bedroom by just one door x

7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I wouldn't want to sleep in a closed room either.

A night light will make much less light and may be a solution so I would try that.

Experiment in placement of the light as well, to try to reduce how much shines into the bedroom. Maybe a screen or piece of furniture to block the light?

There is also those sleep masks (go over the eyes not the mouth) to block light.

The way I see it, he's told you he has a need, and ignoring it isn't fair to him. The trick is to work out which solution will provide him with what he needs, without inconveniencing yourself or negatively affecting your own quality of life, too much.

8. Purplecatlover

I was looking at night lights earlier actually. Might buy one when I get paid and put it in the living room.

9. Willsee

Willsee PetForums Member

You could also try putting a lamp on a timer or a remote. We keep a light on in the “cats” room when we go to bed then switch it off after around 30 mins when they’ve settled. We don’t allow them in our bedroom at night, none of us gets any sleep if we do:oops::oops::oops:

10. Purplecatlover

As soon as it turns off he starts :rolleyes::Hilarious I turned it off around 3 am last night and he started meowing so that’s a no go unfortunately. He has full run of the flat as he can open doors, so I’ve no choice haha x

11. Lina84

Lina84 PetForums Junior

Could you sleep with a sleep mask on? I used to do this when I was living abroad on a very well lit street and couldn't change my curtains.

lorilu likes this.
  12. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Has he always done this or is it a recent thing? It's odd behaviour for a cat.

lorilu and Summercat like this.
  13. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

It does sound odd. Maybe he sees it as connected to your going to sleep and he is still awake and wants to play - so meows.
    I would try a play session before you are ready for lights out and see if that helps.
    Maybe get into a routine before sleep of an active game such as with a wand toy.
    My guys are used to play in the evening and Biggles will burble and trot to the closet to get the wand toys.

lorilu likes this.
  14. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I use plug in night lights in the rooms where both Bunty and Toppy are and Purdey, more for my own benefit so nobody trips me up in the middle of the night if I go into their rooms. They produce just enough light to see and I've slept with them on in our room in the past.

P3041126.JPG

popcornsmum likes this.
  15. Purplecatlover

It’s more of a recent thing that he cries when it’s off I think, though nothing too recent that I’d think it was illness etc. I think for a period I had the lamp on every night (I have severe anxiety) as I felt it kept me safe & the fact I got out of bed a thousand times for the toilet but my sleep is really bad at the min hence trying to turn it off.

it’s almost like when he doesn’t know where I am he hates it. Maybe separation anxiety? I’m not sure the reason but I thought it was strange
    I’ll try to initiate play with him before bed and see if that tires him out :)

#15 Purplecatlover, Mar 4, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  16. GingerNinja

GingerNinja PetForums VIP

lorilu likes this.
  17. popcornsmum

popcornsmum Popcorn relaxing!

I love this where is it from?!

Charity likes this.
  18. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I have similar in my kitchen and bathroom. Like the OP I get up many times a night. Those small lights do seem very bright in the middle of the night, but neither of them make it to my bedroom.

19. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Purplecatlover likes this.
  20. Purplecatlover

Jaspers fine Thankyou, he’s been causing a nuisance through the night as usual! It was so so strange, just glad it stopped as quickly as it started!! Thankyou for asking xxx

edit: thought this was on the thread I posted yesterday sorry,

I’ve half closed my door with a doorstop (so he can get through) and keeping the lamp on until I can afford to get a night light! Having nail surgery today so hoping he doesn’t cause nuisance tonight haha

#20 Purplecatlover, Mar 8, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2021
    Summercat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice