Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jameswelbeloved samples

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by hayleyb, Aug 7, 2009.

1. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

a few weeks ago i emailed jameswelbeloved to see if there was anywhere i cud get sampled of their food from. i forgot all about it until my posty has jst came and a big padded envelope came throught the door. at 1st i thought oh had been buyin again but it had a stamp saying crown pet food on it.

wen ive opened it theyve sent me little bags each containing a diff flavour and leaflet about their food. which i think is extremely nice of them.

so if anyone is thinkin of switching dry foods id suggest asking for some samples to try your little ones on 1st :)

2. kitties

kitties PetForums Senior

aw thats nice, so how many packets? I got some yesterday from a pet suppliers, they gave me about 12 packets! and she seems to really like it.

3. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i got 4 packs. and they are about the size of a packet of cripsp. Still havnt given him any but i will 2nite see wat he likes

4. claire484

claire484 PetForums Junior

My two are on James Wellbeloved. Sky our adult loves the turkey flavour (but hates the duck) and is OK with the white fish. Only tried Layla our kitten on the turkey and the white fish, she likes both at the moment.

5. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

do you think it smells funny?
    Sheldon was sick the other day and it smelt of his dry food like a fishy sick smell. now everytime i get it out to fill his bowl i feel like i wanna gag.

am i abit doolalley or do you think so too he he

6. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Well it looks like the dry food company has you all well & truely suckered in ha! 'Smells' that's cos as soon as you open the packaging it starts to degrade. The nice tempting oil they spray on it starts to warm up even when it's put into an air tight box Mmmmmm. Ever wondered why so many cat's have bladder problems?? Bet you even believe it keeps their teeth clean & healthy, imagine it, if the dentist suggested you eat a digestive biscuit to clean your teeth!!!!! Sticky lil stuff aint it. Now I have my hands over my head to be bombarded with Dry kibble lovers. :rolleyes:

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I've just emailed them about samples :D

8. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

this is where your wrong. no sucker here. i no all the risks to feeding dry and even consulted my vet who warned me of the risks as Sheldon is male. the debate can not be proven either way. alot of ppl have problems with dry food and alot of ppl have cats live for years on a dry only food so i guess it down to the cat and the owner. Sheldon is a very happy and healthy little boy and will be for many years to come.

9. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

i have emailed a few other foods aswell. more wet as id like to kick felix in the bin but cant find somethin he'll eat willingly. will let you no how that one goes.

samples galore he he

10. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Thanks! Cotton is on felix right now as that is what the woman I rescued her from was feeding. I don't want to wean her over to anything else right now as she is only 10 weeks

11. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

thats understandable. mite be too much for her little stomach.

12. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

13. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

Strange how there is more & more urinary problems turning up!!!!
    Ever wondered why there are more & more companies now making natural or raw recipe dog/cat food or as close as pos????? It's because they see we are now asking what is in the recipe's.
    The more we ask for good ingredients & keep clear of food filled with additives/fillers/animal derivitives/bi products, the companies will change the ingredients & only then.
    It's ok folk saying well my pet is the age of ........ whatever..... & looking ok.
    Would you feed your family on animal derivitives, bi products???
    I think we have been taken in for a long time now, so well done the folk who use natural/raw, keep up the good work.

14. claire484

Whilst I can see the benefits of a raw diet and would not be against feeding a very carefully planned raw diet to my two cats, people should not always confuse 'natural' with healthy. I know a lot of people on here feed raw, and do it very well following good diets, however some people do not have the knowledge to do this and do not provide an adequately balanced diet.

I have some veterinary knowledge, and during research came across a study which was very interesting: Role of Diet in the Health of the Feline Intestinal Tract and in Inflammatory Bowel Disease
    Progress Report (Glasgow et al) . To summarise, two groups were set up (one raw rabbit, one kibble) after one month there were no differences in terms of growth rate, degree of inflammation in the intestinal tract and the numbers of bacteria in the upper small intestine, although a slightly higher number of cats in the raw diet group were shedding pathogenic organisms (Giardia and Cryptosporidia) in their stools (so zoonotic diseases are a risk some may wish to consider). It was noted however that those on raw diet had more solid and less smelly stools! (which many cat owners would rather be cleaning out of their litter trays I'm sure). After 10 months one cat from the raw diet group died suddenly of cardiomyopathy which was attributed to lack of taurine (an essential amino acid cats cannot make themselves and have to obtain from their diet), which could have been due to low levels of taurine in the rabbit (or bacteria in the rabbit caused it's breakdown, or vitamin E levels in the meat were also low). Upon investigation 70% of the cats in the raw diet group had breakdown of heart muscle that is consistent with that seen in taurine deficiency. This investigation is obviously only one of many (and as with any investigation has its flaws, such as cohort sizes), but does hint at some of the positives and negatives associated with a raw diet. Of course, supplements could ensure the cat receives sufficient taurine, and this was added to the raw food group after they discovered the cats were taurine deficient.

#14 claire484, Aug 7, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  15. ambercat

ambercat PetForums Senior

Unfortunately that study is flawed. If I remember rightly, the rabbit fed to the cats was minced up i.e. the whole rabbit including stomach and intestines, cats in the wild would not always eat the stomach and intestines.

The rabbits they were fed were also commercial meat rabbits that had been fed pellets containing grain, soy, alfalfa etc, so the minced up rabbit was laden with grain - something a cat would again, not normally eat. These commercial meat rabbits are kept in tiny cages, therefore they lack any appreciable muscle tone - the more a muscle is used, the higher the taurine content. The process of mincing up the rabbit causes further taurine depletion.

Therefore the cats being fed the rabbit were not getting a balanced diet anyway. Feeding a correct, balanced raw diet does not cause those problems. :)

16. claire484

Agreed, as I suggested in my previous post lots of people feed raw very well by following very good (balanced) raw diet, but there will be some cat owners that will not take this into account. As I said, I'm not against feeding my own cats a raw diet but as with most things in life if it's not done carefully/properly it can carry it's own risks/disadvantages!

17. BALOO J.

BALOO J. Guest

GO AMBERCAT whoop whoop!!!! If left in the wild where would our cats find an oven & ingredients to make this dry food that's what I want to know, if left to fend for themselves, they would be catching wild.
    My raw recipe has Taurine in, I use muscle meat.
    This argument could go on & on, I still think it's down to us to show the cat/dog food industry we want less rubbish & more healthier ingredients in their food.
    The pet food industry isn't going to say hey raw is better are they, they are not going to loose all those millions,when we start going out & buying meat & not using thir brands totaly:
    Also vet's get quite a kick back for pushing certain brands, & are not alway's trained on animal nutrition.

18. claire484

It is an argument that could go on forever I'm sure! I don't feed raw at the moment, mainly because my girls haven't been with me that long but it's something I am considering moving them onto in the future.

I think it's really great that people are so passionate about things like this :D, and also that there are people on this forum that can advise about the correct way of raw feeding (like balooJ).

My concern is about those that go into it blindly without understanding the various components of a cats essential diet, or how the cut of meat affects the quality of the diet. I used the study as an example (and pointed out that it was a flawed study, but hey can anyone truly say a scientific study has absolutely no flaws?)

You are right, cats wouldn't be able to cook their food in the wild (but I suspect many would also suffer illness due to pathogens in the raw food!), and some pet food manufacturers do put all sorts of horrible rubbish in their foods. Again, it's about making informed decisions and choosing a diet you feel is best for your cat and you are comfortable preparing! Being the owner of a domesticated animal leaves many questions to be answered about how far we should go to ensure the animal is happy and still has elements of it's ancestors non-domesticated lifestyle.

Just as a general musing, I wonder how many people only feed organic raw diets? It's a similar argument that many of us may have had about our own diets, can it be healthy to eat meat that is treated (in one way or another, whether it be for commercial/profitable reasons or for the animals health) with chemicals throughout it's lifetime? :confused:

Sorry to have taken this thread onto a bit of a tangent! I'm sure we could have a whole sub-forum about raw feeding pro's and con's!! How are your kitties enjoying their samples hayleyb?

19. hayleyb

hayleyb PetForums VIP

20. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Me three! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice