Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

James Wellbeloved food reaction

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by bubbles88, Mar 29, 2011.

1. bubbles88

bubbles88 PetForums Junior

Hi am new to this site and was wondering if anyone could shed some light on this for me please. I have a 2yr old BT and he has always had Bakers since puppyhood. I was doing research & found out that Bakers has alot of nasty stuff init:eek: so i researched alot of diff food brands and came to the conclusion that i should try him on JWB as they are meant to be hypo-allergenic. I mixed a tiny amount in with his food and noticed that he had very toxic farts and watery stools, so the next day i gave him the same amount and this time the same happened along with swelling of the face :blink: i gave him 4mg of priton to clam the swelling.Has this happened anyone else before? i also contacted the company via email and still waiting for them to get back to me. I went back to Pets at home and asked them what food i should feed him on and they recommend wainswright salmon&potato so i have gave him alittle today and he is having smelly farts with this as well,(jst hope his face doesnt swell up as well) i was wondering if the smelly farts will stop in time or not? any thoughts??

2. Lyceum

Lyceum PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum.

There have been many more reports of JWB causing upset tums since they were bought by masterfoods (Same people who make pedigree etc). But never heard of the face welling.

Changing diet will cause wind until the dogs tum gets used to the new diet. With something like bakers it will take around 12 weeks (Not 100% sure on that, just going by what my vet said) for all the crap to get out of the dogs system. But I'd imagine his tum will take a few weeks to settle, and if there's no runs and no more swelling I'd just keep on gradually swapping over to the wainwrights.

Whenever I've swapped my dogs food they've had horrendous gas for a week or so, then it's settled.

3. bubbles88

Thanks Lyceum for shedding some light on this.
    The Toxic gas is making us leave the room lol, its good to know it will settle in time, the kids thinks we should get hold of some gas mask lol.

4. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

Hi,
    Agree with everything Lyceum has said.
    May be dont increase the amount of WW you are adding until the exhaust fumes calm down. Give his tum chance to deal with it rather than risking upset - just a thought.
    Def a much better food that Bakers and my son's dog had issue with JWB dry so he swopped her to WW but kept her on JWB wet. She was fine for months and suddenly got rancid breath. He stopped the JWB wet and it went:confused:
    Hope yours settles on the WW:D

5. bubbles88

Thanks , i thought it strange that he had swelling to the face aswell, as i kept going through what i had done different in that day but the only thing that changed was the new food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice