Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Jacob Rees Mogg

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noushka05, Sep 15, 2017.

1. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

What If English just want to be ruled by twats with absolute power, with no other higher court?
    Fetish?

KittenKong, noushka05 and Zaros like this.
  2. Zaros

Zaros Banned

:Muted

:Smuggrin

3. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

And using your source of reference, here's the final paragraph, which you conveniently didn't post

The number of food banks has also increased since 2010 so more people have access to a food bank now. That means we can’t be sure that the increasing use of food banks is due to increasing demand. It may be that demand has stayed the same but there are now more services available for people to use.

FeelTheBern, Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  4. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Also that people have more opportunity to donate as more places have boxes: I live in Richmond, hardly a deprived area, and many of the supermarkets here have collection points. A couple of years ago they didn't.

FeelTheBern, Lurcherlad and MiffyMoo like this.
  5. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I'm torn between thinking a couple of people I know should be living in shop doorways and think themselves lucky if a kind person gives them a tin of soup. Lazy, greedy spongers that they are. And thinking that no one in the uk today should be relying on charity.

DT, noushka05, cheekyscrip and 2 others like this.
  6. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

As I said earlier, as a first world country, it's a great shame that people do have to rely on charity. But I'm not sure there's any country in the world where there are people who don't need assistance, so we have to do the best we can and keep trying.

FeelTheBern, Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  7. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier.

Unlike you, I posted the claim, the conclusion plus the link. We know sanctioning & cuts to benefits are having a devastating effect on the most vulnerable in our society. Have you not seen the scathing reports by the UN? The UN has accused tories of violating disabled peoples human-rights; causing "Human-Catastrophe

So much suffering, yet hasn't their changes to the welfare system cost more than its saved? I'll have to look into it.

This is what Ree's Mogg voted for.

Britain is no longer a civilised cointry - the UN's disability report confirms it
    ; https://www.theguardian.com/comment...d-un-disability-report?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

https://www.theguardian.com/law/2017/sep/16/britain-un-human-rights-brexit?CMP=share_btn_tw

Britain faces rebuke over refusal to back more than 100 UN human rights targets

Civil society groups warn that further deterioration in protection is likely as Brexit looms

How many other wealthy countries have been investigated by the UN??

KittenKong likes this.
  8. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

All of them? There are bodies who do reports and comparisons all the time, the UN is one of them. They look at every country and make recommendations.

9. noushka05

And were they as damning of other western countries Elles?

UK in breach of international human rights

The United Nations has confirmed that the UK's Austerity policies breach the UK’s international human rights obligations.

The UN Committee on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights has expressed “serious concern” about the impact of regressive policies on the enjoyment of economic and social rights in a damning report on the UK

http://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/news/uk-in-breachhuman-rights/00287.html

KittenKong likes this.
  10. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

I have no idea. I haven't read the reports on other countries.

I know this country's record on helping the disabled (and the elderly) is abysmal. I have elderly disabled in laws, I can see the results for myself.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  11. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

This is really not the same thing LOL, i have a few friends who have Nannies or Au Pairs but they don't keep them on till the kids are 33 this is a guy who has NO idea how a normal person lives, and i mean absolutely no comprehension at all, and before anyone says thats impossible, its not i have worked with and for people like that, one knight had us renovating his castle but ran out of money so laid us off for 4 months, when we asked for our p45's he said "Why you'll be back in 4 months" he had no idea that 4 months without pay meant we would not eat and become homeless.

12. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

I've been searching and can't find anything about the UK, outside of the article in the Guardian.

On the HRW website they do have reports, in the past year, on France, the US, Israel and Belgium. In fact, the last report on the UK is from 2014.

Elles likes this.
  13. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

There is a more recent one, I read it the other day. I'll see if I can find it.

MiffyMoo likes this.
  14. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

#74 Elles, Sep 18, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 18, 2017
    rona and MiffyMoo like this.
  15. noushka05

Really? That does surprise me:p

UN CRPD disability report response
    https://www.equalityhumanrights.com/en/our-work/news/un-crpd-disability-report-response

“This is a damning assessment by UN experts of the failure to protect disabled people’s rights across many areas of life in the UK. We have long urged the Government to make changes and the UN recommendations are further proof that immediate action must be taken.

"Drastic cuts to health and social care budgets have had an impact on disabled people’s ability to live independently; barriers to accessing justice persist and there are significant gaps in legal protection for disability rights. If government is serious about delivering a fair and equal society it must involve disability groups to help design and implement new policies to ensure that disabled people are no longer treated like second class citizens.

"We stand ready to work with the UK and devolved governments, as well as Disabled People’s Organisations, to ensure that disability rights are prioritised

Disability Rights UK: UN finds Govt policies violate UN convention and UK legislation. Little hope for change when Govt denies it

DPOs consider boycott of government engagement over ‘misrepresentation’ at UN
    https://www.disabilitynewsservice.c...ment-engagement-over-misrepresentation-at-un/

Government cuts have caused 'human catastrophe' for disabled, UN committee says
    Ministers are accused of 'totally neglecting' people with disabilities

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...sons-with-disabilities-disabled-a7911556.html

A ‘human catastrophe’ – New UN condemnation for UK human rights record
    The UK Government’s claim to be a ‘world leader in disability issues’ has today been crushed by the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities. The Committee has released damning Concluding Observations on the UK, following its first Review of the government’s compliance with the Convention

https://www.inclusionlondon.org.uk/...e-new-un-condemnation-uk-human-rights-record/

Britain 'going backwards' on rights of disabled, says U.N committee

http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-britain-disabled-idUKKCN1BB2AU

UK government is failing disabled children says United Nations

https://www.specialneedsjungle.com/uk-government-is-failing-disabled-children-says-united-nations/

It’s pretty shameful really, what the UN said about the UK’s treatment of people with disabilities. Last week, as part of a raft of recommendations, the UN Committee on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities called on the government to take action to provide better support for inclusion, and to tackle increases in poverty, hate crimes and bullying against disabled children. It also expressed concerns about the use of restraint on disabled young people in the youth justice system

[​IMG]

I could go on.

And here's Labours Debbie Abrahams calling on David Gauke to come before Parliament & respond to the UNs damning report

1. [​IMG]

1. [​IMG]

KittenKong likes this.
  16. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Oh, I'm very aware you could go on

FeelTheBern and Elles like this.
  17. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Saves you doing a search. :Hilarious

MiffyMoo likes this.
  18. samuelsmiles

samuelsmiles PetForums Senior

Rees-Mogg kept his cool when confronted by protestors at the Conservative Party Conference this afternoon. Maybe he is the man to lead us through these tricky times.

MiffyMoo and Elles like this.
  19. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Good on him! I love the bit where the guys says “we’re not welcome here to debate with you”. Erm, you’re literally standing within arm’s reach, having a debate with him. How much more access do you want?

20. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I shouldn't but I quite like him! .... completely disagree with his views tho :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice