Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Jacob Rees Mogg

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by noushka05, Sep 15, 2017.

1. noushka05

noushka05 Unicorn denier.

KittenKong, MoggyBaby and cheekyscrip like this.
  2. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Jacob would be better as a comedian than a politician.

With him being the favourite to be next Tory leader, he has expressed he doesn't want to be Tory leader (unless he has changed his stance in the last couple of days).

You have to take into consideration he is a devout Roman Catholic and many of his comments on Gay Marriage and Abortion are to do with his beliefs. I know that to the General public his comments are unacceptable including me, but his comments reflect his beliefs and up bringing.

#2 stockwellcat., Sep 15, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 15, 2017
  3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I personally find his views completely against my way of thinking ...and I certainly wouldn't wish to see him as PM......but as Stockwellcat says he is expressing devout Catholic views ....I suppose each to their own and all that.

....but actually the quote is incorrect ....what he actually says is that community charitable support in providing food banks is uplifting ...not the rise in use of them. I think that's what you might call media manipulation. I can't stand the man but I don't need the media to manipulate my thoughts.

J

4. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Whilst I don't agree with his views regarding abortion & gay marriage I do agree that the state can't provide everything & that charitable donations/work is something to be proud of. In a world where we are constantly told people are selfish or uncaring I think that the work that many people do to help others is ignored & it shouldn't be.

I also do not think that just because his views on certain topics are not the same as mine they are twisted. I actually admire him for being honest in his views & giving straight answers when asked despite him knowing they aren't 'media friendly'. Far too many politicians skirt around subjects not really answering as they know it they were honest if may damage their persona. He is a Roman Catholic, I would have thought his views were pretty standard in that community.

And I didn't think he was even in the running for the next Tory leader, he has even said himself that he isn't in line & doesn't particularly want to be

Lurcherlad, rona, MiffyMoo and 3 others like this.
  5. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

Is he the one that used to campaign with his Nanny?

6. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

On the other thread I already said he should Brexit himself. To the middle of the channel without a boat. I choked on my fizzy water when I read this latest from the Mogg.

Happy Paws likes this.
  7. sesmo

sesmo PetForums Senior

Yep, he campaigned in Central Fife with nanny in tow in his Bentley (which he later claimed was a Mercedes).

He's an odious little twerp.

noushka05 likes this.
  8. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

I thought so. Just what we need running the country, well at least he will be in touch with the ordinary working man just like old Dave was :(

9. Zaros

Zaros Banned

Not this double breasted tw4t for Christ's sake.:Facepalm

Happy Paws and noushka05 like this.
  10. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

Hang on, let's step back a minute. A lot of my friends have nannies, as they can't afford not to work, and not everyone has family handily available to look after their children. This is another pathetic smear by left wing press.

And no, I don't agree with his views on gay marriage and abortion.

11. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Er - we've been here before with religion, the difference being that Tim Farron regarded his faith a private matter and was hounded by the BCC for it. Maybe he should have shouted bigoted views from the rooftops and everyone would have 'understood'.

12. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

He isn't saying he thinks it's wonderful that some people need to use them, but that the kindness being displayed (that people donate to the food banks) is praiseworthy. This is how I read it, not 'yippee, everyone's starving, isn't that super'.

13. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

There were no derogatory comments when Chloe Smith (who was MP for Norwich North) took her baby with her when she went to vote on Article 50 and was 'warmly welcomed' by the Speaker; and several MEP's do it regularly. Because they are women it would appear to be acceptable . . . sounds a bit like sexism in reverse to me.

Lurcherlad, FeelTheBern and MiffyMoo like this.
  14. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

No, it's reverse snobbishness. How dare he flash his wealth by having a nanny! And an expensive car!

Come to my area and you'll see a multitude of luxury cars being driven by all the footballers who live here. Will anyone say anything about that, or do the Independent, Mirror and Guardian think that they're OK?

FeelTheBern and Calvine like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Me neither; but at least he isn't looking to win a popularity contest by simply saying what he thinks people want to hear.

FeelTheBern and MiffyMoo like this.
  16. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Don't have a problem with his wealth, his religion, or his nanny. His views on adapting to climate change aren't very environmentally friendly. I'd just watched a food bank on my local news explaining why more people use food banks. It wasn't because this government told jobcentres to tell people about them, but the labour government hid them, which Rees-mogg said.

It was because of delays in benefits, disabled struggling to get benefits and people in temporary work finding long delays in benefits in their between jobs times. Government policy in other words. On top of that, the food bank were struggling, because fewer people were donating and the fresh food supermarkets gave them when it was going out of date was difficult to distribute. So the food bank themselves were having problems.

It made Rees-Mogg look totally out of touch with reality and instead of the government dealing with the issues that are putting people in these desparate situations, he dismisses it as a good thing. :(

noushka05 likes this.
  17. MiffyMoo

MiffyMoo PetForums VIP

He didn't, but you can't accuse the MSM of letting the truth get in the way of a good headline. He said that it's uplifting when people voluntarily support their fellow citizens.

IMG_4044.JPG

Lurcherlad and Calvine like this.
  18. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

That would be fine if he wasn't talking about food banks. No we can't expect the state to provide everything. But Food? This is food we're talking about. The food bank had just explained why people were having to use them and where the donations come from. Mostly supermarkets giving away food reaching end of sell by, to people who have lost everything, but have to wait 8 weeks for state aid to kick in. Or disabled people who are struggling to cope with the new hoops they have to jump through to get help. Very Uplifting.

He said the only reason more use them now is that the conservatives told jobcentres to tell people about them, but labour government hid them. Nothing to do with change in government policy over benefits then.

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I think the difference is is that he wouldn't answer the question when asked about his views on certain issues & as he was a candidate for becoming PM I think it was standard to ask him about his personal views.

I wish more MP's were honest in their beliefs instead of worrying about that it might affect their popularity but in some ways they are probably right. Why is it that if someone has different views they are considered bigoted? Alot of people have certain beliefs that, they are not spreading hatred or anything terrible just have different views.

I feel we seem to be in a situatuon where people are being shouted down & told they are racists/bigoted, etc simply because they have different opinions .... I think it is quite worying tbh & is limiting freedom of speech

#19 Cleo38, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    Elles likes this.
  20. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I get your point but people like Mogg were fortunate to be born into a world of privileges and will never experience the hardship many do through no fault of their own. He had a damn cheek to comment on foodbanks the way he did, unless he viewed the need for them as appalling which he didn't.

No, I don't agree with the obscene amount many footballers are paid but to be fair on them most were not born into their multimillion lifestyle. They had to show talent by kicking a ball and scoring goals to earn their fortune!

#20 KittenKong, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017
    noushka05 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice