Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jacks got a sore nose? (picture included)

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan2009, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

right im really not sure what is wrong with his nose it is sore and inflamed on one side, i noticed it yesterday when we came home from a walk and since then ive been watching him and he seems to be licking it quite a bit but not excessivly, so i put a small amount of vassaline on it a little while ago to stop it drying out, has any one got any idea what it could be or what i can do to help him please? thanks alot
    [​IMG]

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Has he recovered from his cough yet?

Looks a bit scabby, could he have injured it without you noticing? May be slightly infected.

You can use something like sudocrem or aloe vera, but if it doesnt clear up, then id pop to the vets. As he is going to lick it, you'd be safer with aloe vera.

4. Ryan2009

yes thank you his cough cleared up the day after i posted on here it only lasted 2 days in total so really not sure what that was. i think ive got some aloe vera some where around the house somewhere ill have a look, but if i cant find it would it be ok with petroleum jelly untill i nip to the shops? how long would you recommend to wait before taking him to the vets

5. Ryan2009

bump please help

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Vaseline would be fine.

If it gets worse, then id go to the vets. If it seems to be getting better, id leave it and see how it goes. If it stays the same.....i think id go to the vets.

Ultimately the choice is yours. If it doesnt seem to be bothering him, then id be tempted to leave it and see how it goes.

Ryan2009 likes this.
  7. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

Did ur dog have kennel cough recently?
    If so it could have knocked his immune system a little and perhaps he had a snotty nose for a while.
    He looks as though he has lost a little pigmentation and to get it back u can supplement his diet with seaweed kelp powder (health food shop or dorwest herbs).
    If he continues to lose pigment then take him to vets as yes it might be an immune mediated problem but better not to panic too soon, just give a bit more time.

8. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I give the dogs Apple Cider Vinegar when things start to go wrong before i can get to the vets. It's got quite a few good properties - like a natural antibiotic, i believe it helps set a body balance i.e. alkaline properties to help neutralise acidic bodies. It does quite a few other things too, if you google you'll see.

Anyway long story short, Indy had a swollen gland after her spay, gave her Apple Cider and it sorted it out before the vets appointment. Rodney had awful gunky eyes, so as i had some for Indy i tried it on him as it seemed to suggest it helped this prolem - this has sorted him too.

I did quite a bit or research before i used it, it does seem to be pretty harmless and right in my case - however i'd say you do the same before considering using it. You can get the tablet form in Asda or Holland and Barrett. Not sure whether it'd be appropriate in your case - but if you suspect an infection it may be useful.

9. Ryan2009

im not too sure if it was kennal cough as it only lasted 2 days? how long do u reckon it would take to get pigmentation back ? thanks for you reply x

10. Ryan2009

just been looking at some apple cider vinegar and researched it and it said its good for the dogs digestion and jack usually gets the squits do you think if it dont solve the nose problem you think it could help his digestion?

11. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

I think lots of people just use it as a supplement to their dogs food anyway - so i doubt it'll do any harm just to try in a small dose, i think i got the dose wrong to start with as they both vomited. However since halving the amount it seems to have done the job - i couldn't get hold of the liquid, but i bought the concentrated tablets and give 1/2 a tablet once a day each to my 30kg ish dogs.

There was a couple of bad reviews i read, one was that a dog vomited, this was put down by the site author to have been "purging" the body of bad toxins. Another reviews mentioned that the dog ended up having to take further medication to reverse the process - i.e. the dog ended up too alkaline. Something you should be aware of - apparently you can get PH tests on their pee to work out whether it's right for your dog.

Just a thought anyway - whether or not it helps your dog for the nose, it may help another problem instead eh...

12. Ryan2009

anyone else have any ideas?

13. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Natural bio yogurt will help with the squits and upset tummies.

Can I just ask do you crate him at all ?

I ask as I have seen dogs with nasal injuries just like your poor boy in the pic, caused by rubbing their noses against the metal door of the crate.

One reason why I'm not overly keen on them but see they have a purpose.

14. Ryan2009

yes he sleeps in a cage at night because we started putting him a cage at night from when we got him as a puppy as the breeder says it will create a "den" for him and weve tried not putting him in it at night but hell just run back to it and go in it hiself so i think he enjoys sleeping in it at night, but i didint notice it the in the morning i first saw it i only noticed it in the day after his walk so im positive its not from his cage, it dont seem like a "sore" as it dont bleed or anything he just seems to have lost pigmentation around that area?

15. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I think you'll find it probably is the caused by him rubbing his nose up against the crate, he more than likely does it when you can't be present, it wouldn't be what I would call a sore, it's more than likely some sort of graze from persistently doing it when you can't watch him.

I'd give him a few days out of it and see if it clears on its own, if it does, you'll know it's the crate causing it and nothing else.

16. Ryan2009

if its from him rubbing his nose on something i think it maybe from rubbing it on the floor? as when his face gets wet from either drinking from his bowl, bath or rain he tends to rub his face on the floor to dry it, do you think this could be the problem?

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

Quite possibly, it does look like some kind of friction burn rather than a sore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice