Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jack Russell Advice

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by IrishSean, Apr 23, 2017.

1. IrishSean

IrishSean PetForums Newbie

Hello im new to the forum well me and the wife have recently took on a 6 month old Jack Russell, called "MoJo" i call him hyper lol, he is friendly and very playful but wont stop barking every night his last family took the dog to bed with them every night since he was a few weeks old, and i know its a bit of adjustment but its something i relish as me and mojo have become inseparable during the day, but i refuse to bring him into the bedroom and he just wont stop barking im at a loss on how to stop it, ive tried treats, toys, walking him till he refuses to walk.

any ideas would be fantastic lol the neighbours are starting to complain

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Sleep downstairs with him at first so he settles.

He is anxious and confused and needs comforting. Once he has settled in you can slowly teach him to be happily independent.

Look at it from his point of view ;)

Over exercising him won't help, but will give you a very fit dog that needs lots of exercise. It sounds like you are overdoing it. Try doing some training at home as well

IrishSean, lullabydream and Jobeth like this.
  3. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Couldn't agree more with LL...i rehomed a Lurcher at the beginning of this month, who had been left for long periods on her own...but apparently had been ok.

She was 10 months, the first 2 nights I lasted at the most 5 minutes upstairs with her consistent howling. Slept on the sofa, had another blip a couple of days later when she came in to season. She doesn't even stir if I come down in the early hours for medication if I need pain relief for myself now

JRTs are amazing dogs, but love to keep busy mentally as already suggested...my old one Poppy was always more tired from stalking out the shed for rats then any amount of physical exercise. She loved learning new tricks, liked activity toys, and play.

IrishSean and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. IrishSean

thanks for the reply i live in a bungalow, i spent plenty of time with mojo its just once i put him to bed he scratches and howls the door for attention. his bed is literally next to our bedroom is there any thing else you recommend?

me and the are not very experienced with training dogs to be honest

5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

A gate up at your bedroom door so he can see you but can't get in, so he doesn't feel shut out. That might work too

IrishSean likes this.
  6. IrishSean

that is actually a fantastic idea lol will get one this week

7. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Or put his bed next to yours for a while until he settles and then wean him off you slowly.

Picklelily likes this.
  8. Picklelily

Picklelily PetForums VIP

Hard as it is you need to get him used to settling away from you during the day so that he is a little more self sufficient. This will help at night if you think of it from his point of view he gets to be really close to you all day and can't understand why this is not the case at night.
    Start by giving him a treat in his bed a few feet from you in the sitting room, giving him a stuffed Kong whilst you wander into the kitchen and make coffee. Praise him for being settled.

Take a look at the thread on separation anxiety in the training thread.

In the day along with shorter walks try some trick and obedience training for 15- 20 minutes I found that wore my girl out far more than a walk. You might also want to cut back on your walks too much walking at this age can damage joints.
    For training help try looking at clicker training I can recommend Kippur videos on YouTube.

Bedtime to help you make sure he has a nice comfy, warm bed, calm interactions before you go to bed. Try a dog appeasing pheromone plug in by his bed or a DAP collar.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice