Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jack Russell acting odd

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Daggerdog, Jul 21, 2009.

1. Daggerdog

Daggerdog PetForums Newbie

My 9 year old Jack Russell terrior has been acting very differently lately. For years I have left him in my bedroom while I go to work at night. I work from 7pm to 7am 3-4 nights a week. I have never crated him or felt the need to. the only hting he has ever done is bring my shoes (sometimes many pairs) up onto the bed and lay on the. On a few occasions he has chewed the strap of a pair of sandals or one of my wife's bags in half. This has been annoying and expensive of course, but now very suddenly he has become much more distructive. I am worried to leave him alone even for a few hours. I even unplug all electrical cords in the room for fear he might chew through one. He will dig in the trash climb on anything he can, pull things off high shelves and last night he even turned ove a 5 fool high rolling shelf....a small Jack Russell Terrior mind you. I have always known that he reacts badly to thunder storms if alone, but he has never done anything like this. We came home from a cookout a few nights ago and he had pulled all of the towels and linens out of the closet. We were going out afterwards to listen to a friends band and we had to take him with us and leave him in the car. He was good in the car with us inside the lounge however. This is very puzzeling. We did insulate the walls of our house with blown-in insulation recently. I wonder if that has made him sense something different and is driving him crazy. He acts fine when we are home with him though.

2. Myyy

Myyy PetForums Newbie

Hi :)

I think I'd take him to the vet, to see if it is something wrong with him. When a dog of nine years suddenly changes his ways, it might be something with his health.

Otherwise, I think he is spending too much time alone, so he is probably bored.
    How much exercise does he get?

3. r_neupert

r_neupert PetForums Senior

You could try set up a video camera and see what goes on when you're not there.

Other than the above, getting everything checked out, i would make sure he's well excersised before bed, and left with a toy that'll keep him entertained for an hour or so.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice