Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jack Russell, 5yrs old in need of help

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by jgardiner, Jan 12, 2012.

1. jgardiner

jgardiner PetForums Newbie

I need to find an urgent solution for a dog with behaviour problems which has come into my care.

The dog in question is a five year old Jack Russell cross that I took in a couple of months ago, after his elderly owner died and he was left alone with no-one to care for him.

Since then he's turned out to be a lovely, active dog with a generally sweet nature. However, he can be very nervous around strangers and has bitten several people. As a result of which I can now only walk him with a muzzle and I am unable to take him to work or leave him with friends, preventing me from giving him the time and attention that he needs.

I've spoken to several rescue organisations who have all explained that they cannot take a dog who bites and have advised me - as a matter of responsibility - that I should have him put to sleep, as "a dog who has bitten, will always bite". However, this seems like a terrible fate for such a healthy dog and I'm sure that with time, patience and the right experience he could be corrected. I just don't have the time or experience this would require, much as I would dearly like to be able to.

It is with a very heavy heart that I now have to face the possibility that, if I cannot find someone who is prepared to take him within the next few weeks, I will have no reasonable option but to put him to sleep. I've tried various adverts on re-homing sites but to little avail.

Is there anyone out there with the time and experience to give him the life he deserves?

He would suit a calm environment. Preferably with someone who can be with him throughout the day.

He's generally well-behaved on the lead, has good recall and loves to run and chase balls in the park. Unfortunately he is not good with cats and I would suggest giving him time to get settled before carefully introducing him to other dogs or children.

He's wormed, de-flead, neutered and chipped but his vaccinations may require a booster in the next few months.

Please, please, please can anyone help?

Attached Files:

#1 jgardiner, Jan 12, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2012
  2. jgardiner

jgardiner PetForums Newbie

Good news. I have now found a home for him where he should get the care and attention that he needs. Fingers crossed.

3. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Glad you have found a home for him, the only other thing maybe would have been the Dogs Trust, they are usually good and have behaviourists as they are a large national re-homing centres. I think too Blue Cross will also work with problem behaviour dogs.

Hoping the info will not be needed though and he has found someone to work with him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice