Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jack penis infection?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan2009, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

right.... jack was groomed around 3 days ago and 2 days after that i noticed a light green/yellow puss like substance around the tip of his penis it wasnt alot just a little bit, i cleaned it each time of course but it came back around twice each day? he has also been licking it alot? im really not sure what it could be? ive checked today and so far there isnt any thing there? any ideas what it could be?

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like a very normal secretion most male dogs get. Its more common in full dogs.

Its a sort of canine smegma.

3. Ryan2009

yea he is full :) is it any thing to worry about? shall i take him to the vets or is there anything i can do?
    do you think i never noticed it before cuz the fur around it may have dryed it up?

4. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

As Noonie say's it's normal my jrt get's it. he clean's his self. that's why i don't let him lick my face:D

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I'd only worry is its really smelly and hes obsessively licking it.

It could be that he's been cleaning it off and you just havent noticed. My boys will go for months without having any that i notice, then ill see some. They are castrated, and dont get it half as much as some dogs i know.

If you are concerned then get him checked. Always better to be safe than sorry.

6. reddogs

reddogs PetForums Senior

I had to ask that about our boy too - seems it is quite normal if somewhat yucky to look at if they haven't cleaned themselves :)

7. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

very normal, bailey gets it too sometimes.

8. Ryan2009

welll its still coming out? he seems to be cleaning it himself but everytime i look theres still a small amount there?
    if there anything i can do, is there anything i can do to clean it with anything else than water? or is there anything i do it reduce the amount thats coming out? and can anyone explain why it happens?

9. Badger's Mum

Maybe pm Nonnie she's really helpfull:D. Does seem like it's been going on for awile I think i'd have a chat with the vet if he was mine

10. Ryan2009

im only a student though and mum and dad are away at the minute!! last time i took him to the vet( with his runs) i was in there literally minutes and she felt his stomache and gave me some probiotics and some other food and charged me £60! so i need to make sure that its not normal before i take him because i think my vets a rip off

11. Badger's Mum

I really don't no what to say to help you, is his pee normal? and is he well in his self?

12. Ryan2009

yeaaa hes being absolutly fine and eating and drinking normally, thats why im unsure cuz i only noticed it when he was groomed sort on his belly and penis and wondered if it was normal?

13. Badger's Mum

My jrt get's it all the time i never clean it, He does it his self:rolleyes:. if i did i'd only use water though' I wouldn't worry about it if his not poorly i'd say it's normal:)

14. Ryan2009

well jack is half jack russell? maybe in the breed, just doesnt look too nice!lol

15. Badger's Mum

I no but the trouble it does look like puss doesn't it:rolleyes:

16. pommum

pommum PetForums Senior

It's deffinetly something all male dogs get, as my too stud dogs andmy neutered one get it. As long as it isn't smelly andhe is happy in himself I wouldn't worry to much, you can use baby wipes to clean him which will one keep him fresher an dalso will clean and sticky residue left on his coat from it, this is what I use as with the poms long coat it can get messy on the under belly.

take care
    Sarah

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Its perfectly normal for it to be present at all times. Castration can help reduce the amount and frequency, but i dont think a little discharge is justification for having a dog done.

If it really bothers you you can trim the hair at the end of the sheath (if he has those really long ones) and make sure you wipe him after he's been to the toilet.

Thats what it consists of.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice