Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

jack is coughing/sneezing/choking?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan2009, Jul 24, 2009.

1. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

right i took jack around to my girlfriends house the other day who owns jacks sister (maisey) and a border collie (cassie) we had noticed that cassie was Coughing/choking and some times producing a small amount of saliva, we first thought that she had something stuck in her throat. but now all 3 dogs are doing the same thing, they are coughing and sneezing and some times looks like they are choking but not making much of a noise? and sometimes producing a small amount of saliva? any ideas what it could be? im guessing that its some kind of virus as they all have it?
    Thanks alot x

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Sounds like Kennel Cough.

Give your vet a ring and say you think they may have KC. Its highly contagious/infectious and you will need to keep you dog in and away from others.

He may need antibiotics, although you can just give honey and lemon cough syrup.

3. Ryan2009

is that human cough syrup, is there any set period of time it will last? were going to the cotswolds on sunday, do you think they will be ok to go on walks and stuff if their kept away from other dogs?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ring your vet now. You could be putting other peoples dogs at risk if you take an infectious dog out in public.

Yes, its human stuff. We used to use Buttercup at the kennels i used to work at.

5. Ryan2009

how much buttercup would you say to give him a day?

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

No idea tbh. Its been well over 10 years since ive used it.

Kennel cough can take weeks, sometimes months to get rid of. Thats if it IS KC.

Untitled Document

7. rona

rona Guest

Sounds classic kennel cough symptoms to me, I wouldn't take them anywhere that there may be other dogs, it may be mild to your dog but could be life threatening to a pup or old dog

8. Ryan2009

anyone one know anything else i can do to help jack?

9. bichonsrus

bichonsrus PetForums Senior

if even a possibility of something contagious id call the vets as suggested!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice