Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Jack Has runny poos! Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Ryan2009, Jul 4, 2009.

1. Ryan2009

Ryan2009 PetForums Junior

im really not sure what to do! jack is 9 months and use to have "normal" poos up to about 5 months but from then he will have normal poos for a few days, then i wont see him have one for a day or 2 ( he might but i dont see/find them) then he will have several runny poos in one day, some times with a little "Slime" in them, he usually does it in his cage at night like hes been saving it up?
    about a month ago there was blood in the poo so i took him to the vets and she said it "looks" like a small case of Colitus? so she gave me this paste and several cans of "HILLS" pet food for three days and his poos were solid but a odd yellow colour, then after he went back to normal food he was okay for about 2 weeks then it all happend again, but there has been no more blood in the poo.
    hes fed on a mixture of Nature Diet wet food and James well beloved dry food!
    Please help!

2. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

just a thought but try changing his JWB,i used to feed my dog on this but he was so loose on it , i changed it, he is now on natures diet with pets at home own brand adult complete dry food. And he has had no problem, more firm poo and can now clean it up!! I also had an interesting chat with chap at local pet shop, i didnt realise JWB is part of pedigree and think the quality of the food has been changed. He has had lots of people saying how there dogs used to be fine on JWB but now are having very runny poos. So just an idea. Hope he improves soon.:)

3. rona

rona Guest

Some dogs are prone to colitis, it would be handy to always give him probiotics in his food, there are several methods of this which I'm sure someone will advice on.
    I find nature diet affects my boy if given for every meal, so I make one meal tinned Chappie.
    All dogs have different triggers for this, so as long as he is not eating all and sundry while out, it just a matter of feeding recommended food for this and see which suits

4. Ryan2009

is JWB part of pedigree! i really didnt know that or i wouldnt have fed it him, has it always been owned by pedigree?

5. Ryan2009

Thanks for the help, i just didnt understand what the last bit meant? do you think he will have colitus his whole life?

6. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

no i didnt realise either till this chap told me, think it has been a fairly recent thing,

7. rona

rona Guest

Some dogs do I'm afraid, it's just a matter of managing it :(
    My boy has just had a very bad bout, but he normally has very slight symptoms that don't affect him often, others have problems constantly

8. Ryan2009

what would be the best way to manage it? what probiotic supplements would you suggest?

9. rona

rona Guest

10. Ryan2009

thats the exact same thing the vet perscribed when she said he had colitus! and when i read it i just assumed it was probiotics? lol
    would a plain probiotic yogurt help?

11. rona

rona Guest

Some on here have recommended that in the past.
    Have a look around past threads, there is a lot on here about it.
    If you put it into the forum search, it should show all the threads you need

12. rona

rona Guest

It is a probiotic but also contains kaolin and pectin.
    Although suggested that it can be used long term, I think I would be more inclined to use it when problems flare up rather than a preventative

13. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Does your dog chew rawhide bones? if i give them to my dogs their poo sometimes goes very loose and sometimes slimey.

14. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

My collie had colitis on and off until we found he is allergic to some of the proteins in dog foods I use Protect from Dog Health. this is a probiotic I add it to his meal at night and so far so good.

15. rona

rona Guest

I can't find anything to indicate that this is true.
    Can anyone find evidence of this?

16. Ryan2009

yes hes actually got a raw hide bone now! is it bad for him?

17. Ryan2009

can you copy the link for that product on here please i cant find it?

18. rona

rona Guest

19. gesic

gesic PetForums VIP

There is also another supplement similer which most vets have called pro fibre.
    This helps by adding more "good bacteria" as well as extra fibre to bulk up faeces and hopefully enable natural gut motility.
    You will have to be careful tho, swapping and changing food is not good, I hope the vet advised you to re introduce his normal food gradually following his hills diet.
    Colitis can be caused by numerous things and dont forget with the recent hot, humid spell that pets esp if they rummage in the garden park etc can pk up minor ailment which if they already have a sensitive gut could cause a flair up.
    http://www.vetscriptions.co.uk/mm5/..._Code=1&Product_Code=PROFIB800&Category_Code=

#19 gesic, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  20. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

I let my dogs chew rawhide bones maybe twice a week but not a whole bone,and it does give them runny poo sometimes,i spoke to the vet about this and she said " just dont give them to often" she also said they are good for keeping the teeth clean,maybe you could stop giving them to your dog for 2 wks and see what happens

#20 hazel pritchard, Jul 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2009
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice