Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

Jab Advice - Large Breed

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by RAINYBOW, Oct 30, 2012.


  1. RAINYBOW

    RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    541
    Took Nella for her 1st jab yesterday and left the vets totally :crazy:

    The vet is advising waiting 4 weeks before doing the 2nd jab or doing 3 jabs 2 weeks apart as there is some evidence in Rotties that the 1st 2 jabs don't always "take" and they cant be sure this doesn't apply to other large breeds.

    :confused:

    The statistics seemed very low and chances very slim but it was nigh on impossible to make real sense of what the vet was saying. My argument to her was that i didnt really feel 3 were necessary but if i leave a prolonged period between the 1st and 2nd (her advice) it would interfere with getting on and socialising her (which for such a big breed has to be more important surely ??)

    TBH i have agreed to the 2 jabs further apart because she seemed to be suggesting that as long as i was careful Nella could begin socialising after 2 weeks of jab 1 anyway with a pretty good immunity and being sensible about how and where i walked but of course she wouldn't "actually" say that in so many words.

    Anyone else heard of this and can maybe explain it to me simply so i can weigh it up properly ?? :crazy:
     
  2. Izzysmummy

    Izzysmummy PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2011
    Messages:
    1,419
    Likes Received:
    106
    This sounds bizarre to me!

    Why is she telling you that they need 3 injections to get the immunity required but then also telling you that 1 injection will give enough immunity for her to go out and socialise?

    I personally would do the manufacturers recommended schedule, if you want to be 100% sure it has worked you could then get her titre tested and give a 3rd if needed?

    ETA: Just re-read and see that the vet didnt actually say she could go out, more implied it but I still find it very strange. Is this a new vet or one you know and trust as to me that would make a big difference!

    I hope Nella's first vet visit was enjoyable for her and she is settling in OK.
    P.S. We need more photos!
     
    #2 Izzysmummy, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. RAINYBOW

    RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    541
    TBH i was just confused. I asked about Titre testing for Oscar (my cocker) because i am not a huge fan of random repeat vacination and they don't offer it (suprise suprise :rolleyes:)

    I think she was suggesting that 3 would give 100% confidence but 85% of dogs are coverred after the 1st one especially as Nella is 8 weeks not 6 weeks.

    I have Oscar booked for a booster in 2 weeks time and that will be with my usual vet so i might double check with her and see if she will sneak Nella in if she disagrees.

    I couldn't really see why a tiny % of Rotties being affected by something warranted an additional vax for a Bernese (except the additional £30 :rolleyes:, i hate being a cynic sometimes)

    Sorry sleep deprivaion is making me lazy on the photo front, and i cant get a shot of her awake because she moves too much lol
     
  4. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,493
    Likes Received:
    554
    Rainy just because your vets don't do titring doesn't mean you can't have it done, they just have to send the blood elsewhere because *they* can't do it.

    I wont booster either of mine and I have never heard of what your vet says. I would vaccinate her as per guidelines for a pup of any breed. I have a vague memory a rottie breeder on here never vaccinated hers even as pups...

    I'm not a great one for listening to vets re vaccinations though Singing:
     
  5. LostGirl

    LostGirl PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2009
    Messages:
    9,430
    Likes Received:
    139
    Yes there was, she got a black lashing i think for saying it.

    I would be really uncomfy with injected a puppy 3 times tbh
     
  6. terencesmum

    terencesmum PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2011
    Messages:
    3,644
    Likes Received:
    47
    Completely off thread, but I completely missed you have a puppy!!!! AAWWW! Congrats! And such a cutie pie!
    As for the vets: sounds strange to me. :confused:
     
  7. RAINYBOW

    RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    541
    I always question them GS. They hate me i think :D They always make me feel like a totally crap owner though because i don't agree with every little thing they say and i make them explain themselves until i can understand (usually) :rolleyes:

    I need to change vets but not many options locally where i am :(

    I really wasn't comfy with 3 jabs :( seemed overload to me.
     
  8. Werehorse

    Werehorse PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jul 14, 2010
    Messages:
    4,373
    Likes Received:
    121
    I would definitely seek a second opinion on that. Seems a bit odd to change normal practice because of one bit of research on rotties...

    If she really needs three jabs can you not get the first two done as normal, start taking her out a week after the 2nd as is normal and then have the 3rd to top up. If the vet has kind of but not really said she can go out after the first (not something I would do, not on the ground anyway although she'll be a lump to carry!) then if you have the second as normal she'll be in an even better position to go out. Then the 3rd as a top up if the 2nd opinion vet thinks the same as the first.

    Does that make sense?
     
  9. GoldenShadow

    GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,493
    Likes Received:
    554
    If I was in your shoes she would get two jabs just like any other puppy. Don't forget they do get some immunity from Mum. My Mum is a bit of a mug bless her. She took Milo to the vets and I told her he's not himself don't let them give him any boosters, plus I want him titred.

    Well she comes home and has only had him have a set of vaccinations :rolleyes: The vets basically made her feel like an irresponsible owner for even questioning their judgement. Then they actually told her he needed two lots because he was *late*. NO dear vets, he is vaccinated as per the manufacturer's guidelines just not yours! I made my Mum ring them up and cancel the second lot, they'd already charged her for it and were not prepared to give her a refund for the lot he hadn't had until I went and stamped my feet :mad:

    They really do my head in some vets :nonod:

    Rupert had his puppy shots, then an annual booster in Oct 2009. Since then Rupert has had one shot of lepto (only supposedly lasts 6 months). He is 4 now and I have no intention to vaccinate him ever again, he will be titre tested and if he ever needs kennels etc I will do my best to find somewhere that will take him as he is be it a home boarder or pet sitter etc. I'm not one for just chancing it but I'm not going to inject him with something he most likely doesn't need either.
     
  10. Sled dog hotel

    Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2010
    Messages:
    39,822
    Likes Received:
    10,365
    Looks like shes using the WSAVA Guidelines 2010.

    Some dogs are non responders to the vaccine, I have read somewhere about some breeds more then others and Im sure I read about Rotts being one of them.

    There is other common reasons for non responders too. Pups should have Maternal Derived antibodies from Mum that lasts and usually wanes between 8/12 weeks. For pups that have high Maternal derived antibodies up to the full 12 weeks, the vaccs wont do anything they will be non responders.

    Some pups though may have poor Maternal derived antibodies so will be at risk and these would respond to vaccs.

    The WSAVA guidelines 2010, have suggested a first vacc at 8/9 weeks presumeably in case of pups with low maternal derived antibodies who are at higher risk from infectious diseases. and then a second 3/4 weeks later when even those with high MDA titres would have waned by then so if the first didnt take because of the high titres the 2nd ones will. To make sure they then give the 3rd at 14/16 weeks.

    They also say now that for the core vaccines, many dogs have continued protection for years and after the first initial booster at 1 yr the core vaccines only need to be boostered every 3 years. They go on to suggest the benefits of titre testing instead of just boostering.

    This and more is explained on the link, If you go on the link provided and then go on to the WSAVA Vaccination guidelines 2010 Link its there in full.

    http://www.wsava.org/VGG1.htm
     
    #10 Sled dog hotel, Oct 30, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  11. RAINYBOW

    RAINYBOW PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2009
    Messages:
    10,270
    Likes Received:
    541
    Thankyou so much, that is exactly what she was trying to say i am sure and it was kind of how i understood it but wasn't sure :)
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice