Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ivermectin

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by CharleyRogan, Jun 3, 2010.

1. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

Does anyone know where I can buy it fairly cheap? Elvis has an infection, they are little orange wriggly things, and I have read up that they are Chirodiscoides caviae which are known as static lice. They aren't harmful, or irritating, but I want rid of them and Ivermectin is the treatment!!

I don't want to use the Beapher stuff as from what I read its crap, and an underdose and want to avoid the vet really, as I know what's wrong and what to give him and begrudge having to pay for what I already know!

2. SEVEN_PETS

SEVEN_PETS PetForums VIP

I've used Beapher spot on on my rats to get rid of mites. It worked after one dose. For lice, I think you have to use all three doses to get rid of them (7-10 days apart)

#2 SEVEN_PETS, Jun 3, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2010
  3. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

for future, try washing them with small animal insecticidal shampoo every so often, it might help stop any future infections.

try the beaphar stuff, i think it's not too bad, make sure you clean the cage out thoroughly (let it soak in hot soapy water for 30 mins and try using milton sterising fluid in the water also, and wash their toys etc) after every application.
    use kitchen towel to dry so you can throw it away.

you might have to redose a few times as seven-pets says, just make sure you follow the instructions and the time allowed between applications of whatever you use and it should be fine.

;) good luck.. poor ratties :D

4. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Apart from the vet the only place I got it was The Range...was about £4 but for 4 vials of it!! I paid that for 2 from the vet! They also do insecticidal sprays which would be better for rats than full bath! xx

5. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

You can usually buy ivermectin online from VetUK think it's called Xeno450 or something like that - that's where I got mine from anyway. It's usually for hay mite though which is a mite you can't see although it might treat the other sort of mites too, it will probably tell you on the site. I think Gorgeous Guineas sell things for the type of mite that you can actually see although don't know how much it is as mine have never had it.

http://www.gorgeousguineas.com/shampoos.html

http://www.vetuk.co.uk/flea-product...xeno-450-6-pipettes-ivermectin-spot-on-p-1500

#5 Jazzy, Jun 8, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2010
  6. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice