Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've made drop it into a game of chase!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lorraine & Poppy, Nov 16, 2020.

1. Lorraine & Poppy

Lorraine & Poppy PetForums Newbie

A couple of times I have chased after my 6 month old border collie when she has had something really bad in her mouth and now she actively looks for things to run away with, hide under the bed or just play keep away. Now it's like she's doing this intentionally and will go looking for stuff (I have caught her trying to dig out socks in the washing basket). I know this is my fault and we are still working on drop it and leave it but even in training/fetch etc she starts off listening and doing what she is told but then I suppose she gets over exited and won't drop the ball. If we stop playing she then goes to find something to pick up? Any suggestions, please?

2. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I would keep your (or her!) environment very tidy and make sure there is nothing she can get hold of that she shouldnt have.

It sounds like she knows she gets tons of attention from you for this behaviour so you will need to look at ways of giving her great attention for doing the right things.

When setting up these games you could use toys like balls on a rope so you have a way of getting them back if she wont give them up.

You could even attach a line onto her toys or your socks to make sure (in a game situation) you can get the things back.

If she starts off listening but then starts playing up like you describe, you have let your training session go on too long.

A few 3 or 4 min sessions through the day will be more effective than one longer one.

Try always to end on a positive and leave the dog wanting more.

Have a look at your training programme overall as collies are bright dogs and can get bored quickly. Are you planning to take up a dog sport? What are your longer term goals for your dog?

Tagging in @Twiggy who has vast collie experience and @StormyThai who is fabulous with trick training (and lots of other things im sure!)

Hopefully they will look in and help.

I was thinking about that trick where a dog can tidy up and pop things into a basket - is that something to work towards here @StormyThai ?

I expect there are many foundation levels to layer in first.

LinznMilly and JoanneF like this.
  3. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

This feels familar, @Lorraine & Poppy! Cadvan is small and technically shouldn't be able to reach much, but I swear he levitates to steal things, or just plain magics them out of thin air! I use a mixture of two different methods to get the thing out of his mouth.

1) Reflex drop (lower law opens, thing falls out) and then food falls from the sky somewhere away from the dropped item. I always OTT reward this for safety reasons as it's the cue I would use if he picks up something dangerous (e.g. dog poisonous food).

I taught via Chirag Patel's method here:

The main 'trick' is to ensure that it's completely reflex to the cue rather than something the dog has to actually think about and decide, so make sure you follow the steps slowly. The other thing is to slow increase the distance away from the thing that's fallen out of dog's face dog needs to move before reward falls from the sky, so that you don't accidentally let them practice picking it back up again after they've released.

2) Semi-formal retrieve, where I put my hand out and he releases the thing into my hand. Started with really lightweight things, then things with more physical space, and then we had a month where I asked him to retrieve all sorts of bizarre items, to get him used to giving me things of different materials/ sizes/ weights/ shapes/ smells. Proofing, but proofing the 'thing' rather than the environment or anything to do with me. It was really fun, I got friends to list me random crap to try and then took videos of Cad retrieving them all to hand.

I mix up the rewards with this one, sometimes just praise, sometimes affection, sometimes play (with something else!), sometimes a wild food jackpot. The variety keeps him on his toes, and ensures he's always eager to play the giving me the thing lottery

I taught via Jo-Rosie Haffenden's method here:

It's basically impossible to stop Cad getting hold of stuff, however hard I try. But these two options for me mean there's no chase involved at all. The first one works at any distance from me, the 2nd one he choses to bring me the thing.

LittleMow, LinznMilly, O2.0 and 2 others like this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

Whoops sorry @Torin. Yet another of my tagging attempts goes wrong:Shy

I was only saying to @Ian246 that i was stopping doing tags as i always tag the wrong folk.

Then again it could be a fun game of how many folk can i wrongly tag:p

I think i have a compartmentalisation issue going on. You are food and diet, torin. Twiggy is collies. Stormy thai is tricks. Boxer is woodland.

Mind you i seem to be fleas. :eek:

LittleMow, Burrowzig and Torin. like this.
  5. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I don't mind not being tagged @tabelmabel. Sometimes it goes wrong anyway that I spot the notification when I don't have the energy to fully reply, and then the forum squirrels it away and doesn't tell you again (since you can't set them as unread like emails).

LinznMilly and tabelmabel like this.
  6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

So keep stuff she shouldn't have out of reach, @Lorraine & Poppy, and if she does try running off with something (which will be safe for her because anything dangerous is put away), just walk away and ignore her. You could strew the floor with things she might like like to pick up and run off with, and if she doesn't drop it when asked, ignore her completely. If she does drop it, reward to the skies. If she brings it closer before dropping it or giving it to you, even better - she's the best dog in the world.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice