Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've had to let someone go... :/

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by 8tansox, May 11, 2017.

1. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I feel awful... I employed a Dog Trainer whose credentials were pucker, she was experienced, she wanted purely to work on the obedience side of things leaving me to do the agility. It worked really well so I thought, everything was going great. Then, I had a telephone call from someone who went to her classes (held here) and she asked me why her dog shook when she picked up the tin can with pebbles in it! :(

Now when I interviewed this woman, she assured me she only used positive reinforcement, no cans, check chains etc. but when I asked her when I found out she HAS been using cans and water sprays, she didn't deny it, she said it was only on disruptive disobedient dogs. :eek: She did also use treats and clicker. What's that all about? The consequences of this are, she is no longer employed by me.

She may compete in obedience at a very very high level, but she's not throwing her weight around here that's for sure.

I feel sick, thankfully she only lasted 2 months...

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

Oh my...the most disruptive disobedient dogs get the worse treatment going...

Thankfully you have found out...it could happen to anyone.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Don't feel bad about letting her go. She had obviously reassured you her methods were not adversive.:-( I hope that any dogs she has advocated using water and can shakers on will shrug the experience off and benefit from positive reinforcement techniques from now on.

Burrowzig and leashedForLife like this.
  4. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Thank goodness that client contacted you. She could have ruined your reputation

Burrowzig likes this.
  5. Sarah H

Sarah H Grand Empress of the Universe

Oh jeez, that's not good! Lucky you found out.

leashedForLife likes this.
  6. Rott lover

Rott lover once you go black and tan you never come back

how awful.I am glad you found out before too much damage was done.I wouldnt feel awful for letting her go i would feel awful for all the people who had to deal with her.Has there been any more complaints ?....I hope no one has been to put off of you by this.

7. Aahlly

Aahlly PetForums VIP

Ooft. Dodged a bullet finding out fairly quickly. A person like that can ruin your reputation.

So she either lied at interview about the positive reinforcement or she didn't understand the question :rolleyes: Just a hassle for you to have to find a replacement, but I honestly wouldn't feel bad about having to say goodbye to her.

leashedForLife likes this.
  8. leashedForLife

one of the primary reasons i quit using FaceHack was the incessant
    lying by punitive AKA traditional trainers, who constantly & deliberately misrepresented themselves as pos-R, aversive free, etc - FORCE FREE has now become a tagline used by the very folks who use shock-collars --- because a shock-collar "uses no force", U just push a button, innit?
    Ye gods. :mad: I had to vet every single person who asked me to "friend" them, & more than once, found out later i'd been had. I actually asked folks after my 1st few shocks, do U or don't U use choke chains / infinite-slip collars, rattle cans, double-handed collar corrections AKA "jerks", do U flood dogs?...
    Even that was no warranty i wouldn't get a nasty surprise, later. // So i left.
    Of course, other reasons included the constant attempt to monetize my personal details & nibble away any last shred of privacy - but getting away from the lies, lies, lies, was a big part.
    One of the trainers had the word "pawsitive" in their DBA name, yet included an anecdote on their website explaining how they taught a dog a brand-new behavior from 30-feet away, using a remote control & a shock-collar, while they were on the dais of a reception... & the dog was in the midst of a crowd of hundreds of guests. :confused:

That same trainer had a testimonial from a certain well-known exceptionally harsh handler - i refuse to dignify him as a 'trainer'.
    There's no longer a testimonial page on the website - i wonder how many pet-owners are taken in by the "all-pawsitive" window dressing, daily. :(
    Don't feel too badly; many ppl are taken in by aversive trainers, it's a constant hazard. Preserving Ur business' good name is crucial.

9. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Just as well that person complained though otherwise you would not have known.

Don't you check in on new people for a while to assess their teaching and get some feedback? I think I would if they were working under my name.

rona likes this.
  10. 8tansox

8tansox PetForums VIP

I did. They were great while I watched them, even at a distance. I'm not totally new to the game. :(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice