Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

I've had the worst morning!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Bugsys grandma, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Bugsys grandma

Bugsys grandma PetForums Member

Had to take my daughters cat to the vets cos she clearly wasn't well, all sorted there, got back from the vets to find that Woody had eaten a whole 200gram bar of whole nut chocolate! I was totally beside my self with fear, guilt, everything you could possibly imagine. Woody looked very pleased with himself and I think he'd had a great morning!
    Rang the vet straight away and went back. Woody's a big dog and it would seem milk choc is nowhere near as bad as dark choc. Vet rang the poisons unit and they said as he's a large dog and generally very fit and healthy they thought he would be OK, just to keep an eye out for fast heart rate, lots of dribbling, lethargy, loss of appetite, shivering and seizures. Well woods seems fine. Thank god.

I however feel,like the worst and most irresponsible dog owner on the planet. I love my boy so so much, I can't believe I was so f**k**g stupid and didn't check what was around he could get into.
    If he had eaten 200grams of dark choc he may well have been dead now!

I had to go to town after the vets cos I had to pay a couple of bills and pick up Woodys food, so took woods home first. In town started to think I shouldn't have left him and by the time I got home I had convinced myself that he would be dead, that he had had a seizure and died! Obviously he hadn't and I can't tell you how relieved I was when I saw his face at the door!
    I just feel so so bad.
    He does seem absolutely fine, but it should never have happened. I'm absolutely to blame not him. I can't even begin to tell you how much I love my boy and how awful I feel.

I can't get out of my head now, it will be the intrusive thoughts from the ocd, that somethings gonna happen
    Overnight. This has really thrown my anxiety disorder into overdrive. Not felt this anxious for quite sometime.

Sorry I've really ranted on here.

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

You need to rant on here, best possible place as everyone will understand and mutter 'there but for fortune.....’. I can understand how you must have felt, the number of times I’ve left stuff out that would not have done Isla any good, but feeling smug because she doesn’t counter surf, which is stupid of me as there is always a first time.

Don’t beat yourself up about this, yes it was a mistake, but Woody is fine by the looks of things and these things happen to all of us at one time or another. Does he sleep in your room at night? I would be inclined to have him with you if not.

Lurcherlad, Torin. and Bugsys grandma like this.
  3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

We've all done something like that, hopefully a night of tossing and turning and things will start to get back into perspective.
    Bet it won't happen again? ;)

Lurcherlad and Bugsys grandma like this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel PetForums VIP

Aw no - try not to worry. My first dog was only a small dog and used to eat chocolate often as we never knew some dogs are allergic. Once she even broke into the chocolate liqueurs from the Christmas tree and no ill effects at all.

Not all dogs are allergic so listen to your vet and I'm sure all will be well. Accidents happen, just keep this as a funny story :)

Bugsys grandma likes this.
  5. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

Rant away, if it helps that's great. But do remember to keep it in proportion too, so you don't torture yourself. Focus on the fact he is in fact ok. Yes, it was a mistake but mistakes happen; and the important thing is that we learn from them. So first, I am sure you will never leave out chocolate again and second, maybe someone will read this in the future and learn something they didn't know about chocolate.

Also, you did the right thing - you called the vet and followed their advice. If Woody was at risk, they would have had him in for something to induce vomiting.

I won't say try to put it out of your mind because I know you won't be able to, but we ALL have had these OMG heart in the mouth moments. Timber, as a 9 week old puppy, swallowed a whole plum from the tree. At a year old, he was out with Mr F (I was busy at home) and decided to bring himself home to me. Across roads. The nature of pets and children is that they give us heart stopping moments. We learn, move on, and hopefully a year later remember the incident but don't feel the panic.

I would say sit down with some chocolate tonight but maybe not - so it's the best excuse for having some wine on a Tuesday that I have heard for a while!

Bugsys grandma and Torin. like this.
  6. Bugsys grandma

Thank you for your understanding, was a bit worried people may think I'm just an irresponsible idiot. Don't know why I would think that really though, been on here long enough to know how the members on here think and how supportive and understanding you all are. My anxiety brain takes over and always imagines the worst.

Woody does always sleep with me, I can't sleep without him. Not sure if I will sleep much tonight, will probably spend all night listening to him breathing to make sure it's not too fast!

7. Bugsys grandma

Too right it won't happen again! I will be super vigilant from now on, I've not that scared for a long time.,!

rona likes this.
  8. Bugsys grandma

Thank you. I'm starting to feel a bit less like a s*^t dog owner after the responses I'm getting so thank you.

Lurcherlad and tabelmabel like this.
  9. Bugsys grandma

Well, I would've enjoyed a bar of chocolate, but my bloody dog ate it !!! Lol! So gonna have to be wine I'm afraid,and maybe quite a bit of it? Thank you for your understanding.

tabelmabel and JoanneF like this.
  10. Sairy

Sairy PetForums VIP

My OH left a packet of ibuprofen on the coffee table and Holly ate four of them as a pup. Ibuprofen are very very bad for dogs. I was at work at the time. Thankfully OH was at home and as she got out the shower Holly dropped the empty packet at her feet. Had those things not happened we wouldn't have known she'd had them and I could be telling a very different story today.

You live and learn. Be more careful next time, but don't beat yourself up about it - we've all make mistakes. Everything is fine and that is the most important thing :)

11. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Don't beat yourself up I once went out and left a packet of paracetamol out which sox chewed on. He was fine but I sat up all night watching him sleep. We are all human and forget things x

12. Bugsys grandma

Thank
    you. He's never touched anything before, the chocolate was in my craft bag that I'd left by the sofa, I'd forgotten the chocolate was even in it I'd had a bad morning cos I'd got up late (late for us anyway) and then we'd had a bit of drama with my daughters cat, so I didn't get Woody out like I would normally have done so I think maybe he was looking to get into mischief anyway cos he'd not been out to run off his energy. Lesson very much learned.

Sairy likes this.
  13. Bugsys grandma

I'm pretty sure I will be doing the same! I keep telling myself that he's ok and the vet would've done or said this or that if there was a problem, but the o c d side of my brain fights with me all the time and really really unpleasant, what are known as, intrusive thoughts make there way through everything else. They can be and often are horrendous thoughts, and I'm struggling with them at the mo. Every message I've had on here so far is def helping me get things into perspective though. So big thank you. Hope you're ok today love. X

14. Happy Paws

Happy Paws PetForums VIP

Please don't beat yourself up we all make mistakes with our dogs. Woody is fine, so lesson learnt so please try not to worry to much.

Bugsys grandma and Lurcherlad like this.
  15. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

One of our childhood dogs stripped the Christmas tree one Christmas Eve while we were at Church ! we came back to a few bits of silver foil and a very happy little dog ! No ill effects whatso-ever.

16. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

We’re all human ;)

He’s fine, so forgive yourself! :)

17. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

OCD is horrid try and relax tonight what breed is woody I'm not sure I've seen a piccie.

18. Bugsys grandma

You're right, o c d is horrid! It's like a worm that works its way into every rational thought you have and convinces you that somethings not right. It makes you totally believe that if you walk on the wrong side of a discarded bottle top in the street, something awful will happen to someone you love, it never gives you a clue as to which side of the bottle top you should walk on though! That's just an example obviously of how it affects me day to day. I'm trying very hard to not allow negative, scary thoughts about Woody to take hold. He seems fine so I have to focus on that.
    He's a lab pointer cross. There are no photos I'm afraid as I , have the oldest phone in the universe, according to my kids. It does though what a phone is meant to do, which is ring people, I can text, but that's it, so I can't take photos on it. I've photos on my I pad but no idea at all how to put a photo on here I'm afraid. I'm only just getting to grips with this posting malarkey! :) But I'm getting there!

SusieRainbow and Boxer123 like this.
  19. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Old phones are the best. Sox has ate all manner of things and been fine not kibble though he would avoid that over a dead rotten pidgin. You will feel better tomorrow hopefully.

20. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I use an iPad on the forum and this is how I put a photo when I reply on a thread.

If you look in the reply box at the bottom of the thread, you will see on the right hand side, a box with the words 'upload a file' next to the post reply box. Click on this

Up will pop a box either going straight to the photos app on the iPad or a box asking whether you want to take a photo or go to photos in your library - which is what is in your photo app. Click on what you would like to do, either take a photo or go to your photo library.

Scroll through your photos and click on the one you want to use and click on 'done'. The photo will now show below the reply box and download. You will be asked to either have a small thumbnail or full image. Click on what you would like and the photo will appear in the reply box.

Click on 'post reply' as usual

Give it a go and good luck

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice