Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've got a poorly Rupert

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 17, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Had a little sore spot near his tail and he wouldn't leave it alone. Turns out its a hot spot and so its been shaved and he has to wear a buster collar for 10 days. I bought five whilst I was there, he is rather good at breaking them.

He has oral antibiotics for 10 days and some ointment and has had a shot of anti inflamatories. Think the ointment really stings though, he's not fussed about me touching it but the look on his face when I put the ointment on :eek:

He still hates the vets too :( Tries to wriggle away and just rolls on his back. He's trying to itch it but as its on his leg it doesn't work. It was only tiny last night; only noticed when Mum was fussing him as he had a bit of matted fur around it where it had stated to weep. Was only a little pink and about 1cm in size then.

We used to be able to fit through doorways at the same time, not any more :lol: He's already ran head on at me twice in an attempt to snap the collar in half :rolleyes:

And if anyone knows any miracle non operational cure for anal glands give me a bell :thumbup:

Please tell me this is a joke, Mum!

[​IMG]

Please? :crying:

[​IMG]

I'll be a good boy, I promise!

[​IMG]

The hot spot

[​IMG]

Size comparison

[​IMG]

Food, you say?

[​IMG]

Urgh

[​IMG]

2. JessiesGirl

JessiesGirl PetForums Senior

Aw, poor Rupert!:(

Have you ever seen this alternative to the Elizabethan collar? BiteNot Collars for Dogs Perhaps it would be easier for him?

My dog has an anal gland problem as well. Some people swear that some plain, canned pumpkin added to the food will help to bulk up the stool and improve anal gland issues, although it didn't make much difference in my dog. She did love the pumpkin though! We just go get them expressed by the vet every 5 weeks--even when I'm not sure she needed it, she needed it. ;)

3. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

oh poor rupert :( hope it all heals up nicely soon and he doesnt have to wear the collar for much longer!

4. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Dalton has anal gland issues hun, i found he doesnt tolerate certain proteins such as pork and lamb, i aslo sprinkle bran on his meals, just a sprinkle nothing major, but this tends to dry the moisture in this system so poops are much firmer than before.

The last time he has his glands emptied, was.....a challenge, took three of us to hold the buggar donw, the smell was like toxic waste, i have only just grown back the linning of my lungs, neither of us wanted to repeat the experience so bring on the bran haha
    xx

5. GoldenShadow

Thanks :D I think I will get like that its just a matter of deciding which size. He is about 71lbs so I don't know which one I would need, will have to do some googling! I have seen the fabric ones before but I think he would find ways to eat it.

I think I'll look into whether our local groomers are any good with glands, purely because the vets are 25 min away and the parking there is a bit rubbish. You can't tell if there are any spaces til you go in and then have to reverse all the way back out onto the road, ended up parking in Sainsbury's today :eek:

Can I ask what pumpkin you use, too? I don't know what sort I should buy!

Thanks. He does hate it but at least for now it stops him being able to get at it. Don't know how he did it, I think he probably went a bit OTT at an itch or his glands were a bit sore and that was as far as he could reach..!

Rupert's poops are OK right now, nice and firm just more nuggets than a big one and (I know TMI!) I think its the constant pressure which relieves the glands, which of course he's not getting at the minute. He doesn't tolerate pork or beef well and so doesn't get those. Hopefully the pumpkin might make his poops all one instead of nuggets and help :lol:

Its a bugger because he's really hard to judge. He hasn't been fussing near his back end much at all the last couple weeks yet they were pretty full.

Do any of you guys know how often glands can fill back up? Then I can get an idea of when to watch him more closely and talk to the groomer/vets again.

6. sketch

sketch PetForums VIP

Aw bless him, hope he feels better soon hunny
    xx

7. JessiesGirl

We use Libby's 100% Pure Pumpkin. (USA) I don't think the brand matters much as long as it is only pumpkin, not the pie filling. The pie filling contains a lot of spices and other ingredients not needed for the task of increasing fiber. ;)

We put 1 tablespoon into her meals. She's only 42 pounds though, so not sure if you would want to add more to a larger dog's meals.

RE: gland expression: We go to the vets because the vet does an internal expression while the groomer generally only does external expression. Internal expression is more complete.

Some vets will teach you how to do internal expression yourself, but mine won't. And as it's only a $12 charge for the anal glands, we just keep going to the vet for it. But it can't hurt to ask your vet if he or she will teach you, as many will.

It's hard to say how quickly they refill as it varies from dog to dog and also with his diet, if he's been ill, etc. Any condition that causes loose stools, for one example, will cause them to refill more quickly as there is less stool pressure to help empty them.

It's trial and error in many cases, unfortunately. Signs of discomfort definitely mean it's time--excessive licking of the rear, scooting, whimpering when passing stools, etc.

My dog has never once scooted in her life! She is one of the excessive lickers. And she occasionally succeeds in unblocking one with the licking, too. That's actually how I discovered she had a problem! She unblocked one long before I knew a thing about anal glands, and I literally thought she must be dying because it smelled as though she was rotting from the inside out! I rushed to the phone in a panic and took her straight to the vet! He expressed her glands and asked if this was what I had smelled. It was! :eek: We had a good laugh about it afterwards, but boy is it hard to believe the odor the first time you smell it!

#7 JessiesGirl, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  8. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

I get my Goldens done every 3-4 months before they start to irritate them.

A teaspoon of bran will help...but im afraid no magic cure.
    When mine need to wear a collar....I cut it down in size slightly for less bumping into everything.:thumbup:

9. GoldenShadow

So just literally giving him a bit of pumpkin out of a tinned can might help? Want to make sure I don't have to get a special kind of pumpkin or dried etc, I'll probably get the wrong thing :blushing:

Not sure if my vets will teach or not but he really does hate it so I'd rather not do it :laugh: The chap we saw today was brilliant, took him about 5 seconds whereas other vets take a couple minutes to do it and manage to get it all stuck in his fur :eek:

I paid £53 today but that included a small tube of Fuciderm gel, 10 days worth of antibiotics, a shot of anti-inflammatories, two buster collars and the emptying of his glands. I think I might end up taking him every 2 ish months or so. There is a vet just in town might see if its something they could do or whether I would have to register him there. I don't use them because they are only open a few days a week and either mornings or afternoons, forget which...

Rupert doesn't 'scoot' either, he is a licker! He hasn't even licked much lately though, maybe they were getting full but not enough to cause a problem? I don't know, something to note down anyway!

#9 GoldenShadow, May 17, 2010
    Last edited: May 17, 2010
  10. GoldenShadow

Ahh I never thought of cutting the edge down, might try that :thumbup:

Do yours manage OK with it being done every 3-4 months then? I tried bran last year and I didn't notice any difference at the time, might revisit that one, thanks :)

11. JessiesGirl

Yes, any canned, plain pumpkin. It's wet, yes.

I've never tried adding bran, although it's the same idea--increasing fiber in the stools. May have to give that one a go myself!

12. mollymo

mollymo Life is Golden

Sometimes its sooner but just watch for any signs of biting his backend or the insides of his back legs or tummy area...also any scooting will tell you aswell.
    I always have mine done by the vet...only charge £7.

13. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

Poor poor rupert:( He does look sos orry for himself in that buster collar! Hope he gets well soon!

14. GoldenShadow

:eek: I heard a loud noise, came into the front room and my Macbook is lying on the floor :mad: :eek:

Thank god its still on and seems to be working, damn buster collar its massive! Can't order a bitenot til I know what size to get.

15. JessiesGirl

I wish I knew more about how to size them.

Perhaps call your vet and some local pet supply stores? If they have them in stock, you could try them on your dog before buying?:confused:

16. GoldenShadow

Not many places in the UK have them, it will have to be an online jobby. Have emailed three places as well as the company who make them but awaiting a reply :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice