Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've decided to learn how to drive again.......

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by ad_1980, Aug 6, 2009.

1. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

after losing confidence and failing 3 times. I gotta retake my theory and find a good instructor. Any one know of any automatic driving instructors that can deal with nervous/partially disabled drivers?

2. rona

rona Guest

Good for you, one of my friends took 9 tests but she got there in the end.;)
    She wasn't a bad driver just nervous

3. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Thanks rona.

Now...should i take my theory test before looking for an instructor or should i do both?

4. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

tbh... find out why you are soo nervous first.. that will be the main cause of you having soo much problems.. talk your fears through with your instructor and try and get over them..not only will it help you enjoy driving, but will make you a better driver also, and lets face it who want's to drive an NOT enjoy it? waste of time otherwise. I would also recommend (if it's not done yet) getting someone to take you on a motorway, on and off junctions etc so you can get some practice at them, makes them less daunting when you're on your own.

good luck :D

5. jenniferx

jenniferx PetForums VIP

I think learning the practical and theory at the same time helps. You'll remember a lot more of the road signs etc... if you're driving rather than just being academic about it!

Can't recommend any instructors but I would say ... don't just stick with someone you don't get on with. I had an instructor a load of years ago and it just didn't work. I did nothing about it, hit a plateau, wasn't getting any better and basically packed it in. Second time around I had a female instructor whose style just suited me better and I'd sat and passed both theory and practical within just a couple of months (albeit after a number of attempts). I got the book that has every possible question in it that you might get asked in the theory and I went through every question in each chapter. If I didn't get the answer right first time- I wrote out the question and correct answer on paper. Took me about two weeks, an hour and half a day to finish the entire book and in the test itself I got 100% for the questions part.

For hazard awareness I bought one of those DVD's that simulates that part of the test. Really helped.

Good luck! I sympathise with you over the failed tests. I had pretty much decided to throw the towel in if I had failed my third practical test. Asides anything else it's just so expensive! Each test day cost me £120.

6. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

Thanks hon

i am just looking for a driving instructor now.....

Anyone have any recommendations - i live in Surrey and i need to drive an automatic.

Don't want to go with BSM as that is who i was with before and the instructor there decided to go independant and i still used her to teach me - that was 3/4 years of learning how to drive!!!! So i am not going to contact her again, as i feel she's going to get more of my money if i'm not getting anywhere with her. Any help would be good :)

7. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I did my theory first then learned to drive. Already knowing the theory beforehand really helped when it came to the actual driving.

Plus the fact that once you pass your theory you've got 3 years to pass your test. Takes a huge weight off your shoulders!

8. owieprone

owieprone PetForums VIP

i would say get a guy driving instructor if your a girl.. but meet them before hand, have a taster lesson to make sure you like them and they have a style of teaching that you can handle.

Get someone who will blether at you, and have the radio while giving instructions.. you're mates will talk to you in the car so it's a good idea to get used to noise and 'distractions'.

don't let them bully you into taking the test.. if you don't feel you are ready.. have more lessons. Again, the more you practice the better you will be and less intimidated you will feel when driving by yourself.

9. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

how does that help me? LOL

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice