Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've broken my freezer

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Happy Paws2, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I decided to defrost my fridge freezer this morning and switched it so we have been panicking trying to buy a new one as soon as possible as it full of food.

Well the new one arrives between 7am and 11am tomorrow, all the food is back in the old one still frozen and it's full, will it be OK util the morning?

2. Bertie'sMum

Bertie'sMum Obedient Cat Slave

Just googled the question and get answers ranging from 24 - 48 hours.

24 hours if it is only half full and up to 48 hours if it's full - keep the door shut !

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Oops! I had the same problem last year. Most freezers have a safe time for which food is ok for a limited time in these circumstances. It's quite common.
    Best thing is if you limit as far as possible the number of times you open your freezer, so whatever you are going to need try and get it all out at the same time. Also pack everything together to form blocks, putting those items which will defrost and spoil easily in the centre of the block to keep them frozen longer. If I remember I wrapped newspaper around the blocks of food to help with insulation, and put vegetables on the outer edges as they are cheap to replace if they do defrost.
    I actually woke up to an already defrosting freezer (panic stations) and it was around 1pm the next day before they delivered the new one.
    My freezer guy said he would have the new freezer on fast freeze until he loaded it in the van so I would be able to put my food straight in there, already chilled. Can your guy do the same? It's worth asking.
    Good luck.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  4. Jaf

Jaf PetForums VIP

I thought fridge freezers had to be left overnight before first turning on? Something to do with settling the chemicals?

5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I asked and he said if they can be stored and transported upright then there isn't a problem. It's only if they have to be tipped on their sides they need to be allowed to 'settle in'.

Lurcherlad, Jaf and Happy Paws2 like this.
  6. Happy Paws2

OH just read something about 6 hours.

#6 Happy Paws2, Jun 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
  7. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

We got new under counter fridge and freezers last year and it was so many hours. My friend got a new fridge freezer just before panic buying over lockdown and it was leave stand for so many hours.

8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Freezer contents are often covered on household insurance but consider if their value is worth risking a claim and increased premiums next year first.

My freezer is stuffed full but mostly with cheap items such as veg, bread, veggie burgers, ice creams etc.

9. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

Yes, the guy who delivered my last one said that . . . apparently, as you say, because when they are lifting it, some 'level' changes and you have to wait for it to settle and become horizontal again. I guess they have to tilt it to load and unload it. They never said that with the previous freezer though.

10. Jobeth

Jobeth PetForums VIP

Will they install it and take the old one away? My friend’s broke during lockdown and they wouldn’t bring it in the house.

MilleD likes this.
  11. Happy Paws2

It's here...it arrived at 7.45 we have to leave it four 4 hours before switching on, everything is still frozen so I think we have got away with it.:Happy

Lurcherlad, lullabydream and Cully like this.
  12. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Good. Burgers are nice but not if you have to eat 4 partly frozen boxes of them in one go.;)

lullabydream and Happy Paws2 like this.
  13. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I thought a lot of retailers are still only doing doorstep delivery and no collection of old stuff.

The big boys anyway.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  14. Happy Paws2

We got it from Curry's the lovely lads who delivered it, installed it and took the old one way.:)

Jobeth and Cully like this.
  15. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

That must have changed when the stores reopened.

When I repaired my washing machine, I almost bought a new one, but they weren't able to bring it into the house or take the old one away so it was easier to try to fix it.

16. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Less expensive too I should imagine.:D

17. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums Senior

What I've had to do before was cook a bunch of meat that had defrosted then keep it in the fridge and eat it over a few days. You can re-freeze meat once cooked.

Happy Paws2 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice