Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

I've been shopping :D

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Flissy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I went into town today with my friend... and ended up with some things for Sausage :)

[​IMG]

I want to start on the bin cage but my brother is away so I can't :( I'll just leave the top off the box for now I think and make sure my cat doesn't pay him a visit :D

I'm going to try the spot on parasite stuff... has anyone used it before?

2. alyssa_liss

alyssa_liss PetForums VIP

how much was your mesh if you dont mind me asking

3. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

It was £3.99 from Wilkinsons, was hoping it would be a bit cheaper but I'm sure it will come in handy for other things in the future :D

4. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

The box is the same type as what i use...
    How much was it? What size is it?
    Is that sand suff??? :eek:ut:

5. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Oh, i read somewhere on a vets website that itching can be caused by worms or mites...
    If he has them then it requires vetinary treatment but it isn't life threatening.. Just uncomfortable for him

Here's what i found...

Demodectic Mange (Demodecosis)

Demodectic mange is a common external parasite problem of hamsters caused by mites which reside within the hair follicles and certain glands of the skin. Their presence in this location causes dry, scaly skin and significant hair loss, especially over the back.

This disease is rarely a problem by itself. In fact, demodectic mange of hamsters if frequently associated with long-standing, debilitating diseases (especially those involving the kidney) of other causes.

Hamsters exhibiting hair loss must be examined and evaluated by a veterinarian as soon as possible. The doctor will need to do a skin scraping and examine it under the microscope. The presence of mites in the scraping confirms the diagnosis. Treatment for this disease is possible but hamster owners must be aware that the patient could very well possess an underlying disease problem for which there is no practical treatment or cure.
    Intestinal Parasites

Hamsters frequently harbor tapeworms within their small intestines. Heavy infections may cause weight loss. Lighter infections usually go undetected unless pieces of the worm pass out of the hamster's rectum or appear in the feces.

This parasitism is important to discuss because people can become infected with the same organism. Transmission of tapeworms to uninfected hamsters (or humans) occurs when feces harboring tapeworm eggs are inadvertently ingested. This underscores the importance of restricting access to hamsters and their enclosures by very young children. All encounters between them must be carefully monitored.

Hamster owners suspicious of this parasite problem must submit a fecal sample to a veterinarian for analysis. Presence of tapeworm eggs in the sample (noted microscopically) confirms the diagnosis. Treatment is possible and will be instituted at the direction of the veterinarian.

Pinworms cause a less frequently diagnosed intestinal parasitism of hamsters. These extremely tiny worms reside within the large intestines and usually cause no symptoms at all.

Diagnosis will be made by a veterinarian after microscopic examination of the feces from a hamster suspected of harboring these parasites. Sometimes pinworm eggs pass from the rectum of the hamster causing intense itching in this area. A veterinarian may be able to detect the presence of pinworm eggs by pressing cellophane tape to this area and examining it under the microscope. Pinworms of hamsters do not case disease in humans.

#5 srhdufe, Aug 14, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  6. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Also this:

HAMSTER Parasites

Mange, Tapeworms, and Pinworms

Mange

Mange is a common parasitic disease that affects the skin of Hamsters. This parasite can cause skin irritations and hair loss in large clumps on the back of the hamster. If you suspect your hamster is afflicted with mange, it is best to pay a visit to your veterinarian for further examination. While mange is treatable, an illness involving hair loss could indicate further problems, either internal or external.

Tapeworms

Hamsters can become infected with tapeworms if they inadvertently eat contaminated food that contains tapeworm eggs. The tapeworm lives in the hamster’s intestines and competes with the hamster for nutrients and water. Generally hamsters will experience weight loss when carrying a tape worm.

Tapeworms are diagnosed by a close inspection of the hamster’s fecal matter. Collect a sample of the feces and take it to your veterinarian for further inspection. If diagnosed, the veterinarian can prescribe the right treatment. Use extreme care when handling hamsters that are suspected of having tapeworms as the parasite can be transferred from the hamster to humans. Always wash your hands before and after handling your hamster.

Pinworms

Pinworms are a much less common parasite that resides in the large intestine of the hamster. Hamsters typically do not experience adverse side effects from carrying the parasite, although in some cases the parasite can cause extreme itching around the anus.

Pinworms are diagnosed by a close inspection of the hamster’s skin around the anus. If you suspect pinworms, take your hamster to your veterinarian for further inspection. If diagnosed, the veterinarian can prescribe the right treatment. Pinworms cannot be transferred from the hamsters to humans, but as always, wash your hands before and after handling your hamster.

7. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

8. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

It was about 14 pounds i think and its the 64 litre one, its quite big... i had trouble getting it on the bus :p I got it from staples.

Yes its chinchilla sand :)

And about the illnesses... Sausage doesn't show any of the symptoms of any of those he definitely isn't suffering from hair loss so maybe its not mites. Do you not think I should try using the spot-on treatment? It looks the same as the stuff I use for my cats fleas.

He's confusing me :(

9. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Yes try the stuff...

10. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

There the boxes i got... I got the 84 litre though as it's to be used as a main cage for the dwarfs..

I was hoping to get the 110 litre one but they didnt have any left :rolleyes:

11. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Will it harm him if he doesn't have mites? I suppose the hair loss probably comes later on? Because he's just scratching and has slightly peely skin :D

srhdufe likes this.
  12. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

No idont think so...
    I imagine you can use it to prevent mites too, like dog flea treatment...

My best advice would be to read the full instructions which should be inside the box

13. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I definitely wouldn't have been able to carry that lol.. I had to walk a mile to the train station, get on the train, then walk to the bus stop and get on a bus :p

They had boxes that were taller than the one I got, but not any more floor space :S 110 litre sounds massive!!

14. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Instructions are good... lol. Now why didn't I think of that :D

It doesn't actually sound like there is much in the box... but i will have a lookie now :D

15. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

If you look on the sheet in the box, it shows you the different sizes they do...
    I'm keeping mine as it's very handy

16. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

I hope my brother comes back soon... I want him to help me make it :D

Do you know when/if you are making yours? I need piccies :D

17. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Hehe i will be doing it tomorrow afternoon... :D

*goes to bribe dad to do it*

18. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Ooooh you must post piccies :D

My dad is away with my brother grr I don't even know where the tools are let alone how to use them!

I wish it would fit in my bedroom... It doesn't actually fit on the floor of my bedroom unless I plan to stand in the doorway and leap onto my bed every night lol D:

Btw the parasite stuff doesn't have that many instructions :S But from the instructions on the box it seems like it is the same sort of stuff as we put on the cat, for prevention as well as killing the mites :)

19. srhdufe

srhdufe PetForums VIP

Thats a bit silly.. :eek:ut:
    Does it give you the correct dosing instructions on the pack?

20. Flissy

Flissy PetForums VIP

Yeah it does - it says 1 pipette per 50g bodyweight so I'm going to weigh Sausage to make sure he weighs the 100g they estimate for a syrian :)

But there was nothing actually IN the box but I suppose it probably explains it well enough on the back of the box anyway :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice