Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ive been really stupid and now need advice please

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Jaydeez, Apr 25, 2011.

1. Jaydeez

Jaydeez PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone

I have always had GSD's in the family and grew up with them.
    We lost two of our elder GSDs just over two years ago and stupidly took on two littermates (sisters). This I am fully aware was a really bad thing to do, and have no excuse for doing so. My problem now is that originally my husband could help me walk dogs and try to train them, but he now has severe back problems. Because of the lack of being able to train them they both pull on the leash and hate other dogs. I have been told by the vet to take them on seperate walks. This is easier said than done. I am at home all the time, (work from home) so time is not an issue. The problem is that when I take one dog out (when they go seperately they are great on lead and with other people) the one left behind causes so much noise and howling that the neighbours are complaining. I can put them in the house as they would destroy it when on their own. How can I pacify the one left behind?
    Walking with dogs is my passion and I am willing to walk both seperately until they can walk together well. Dog walking with both is a nightmare currently.On weekends my son comes over and helps out by taking one and I take the other. It has become now where I feel my dogs are being neglected as unless I have someone here to look after one then I cant take the other out.
    We did think about rehoming one to enable them to thrive well, I am so concerned with their wellbeing (yes I know some will say should of thought of that when we got them), but we do have them now and they are just over two years old, and have become attached to each other. Any advice on how to do the walks would be helpful when I am on my own. I do not want to rehome.

They have their usually play fight but never had a problem with fighting between them. Both are really good natured with people who come around.

Thanks for any advice

Julie

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Have you thought about using Haltis on them? This will allow you more control when taking them both out together.

Sounds as though you have a problem with separation anxiety when one is left behind. This could be triggered by the fact that you work from home and are therefore always there and when you do go out it is altogether. Not a problem that can't be sorted though.

3. Jaydeez

Jaydeez PetForums Newbie

Hiya Thanks for reply, yes have tried haltis, works on one ok but the larger one Keira it rubs her face badly so stopped using, I now use Kumfi Harnesses which are really good, but because they get so excited together when out one feeds of the other and very difficult at present to control two excitable dogs, especially when another dog around. Once I can get them under control on walks seperately then I know it will be easier together later. It just the leaving one behind!!!!!!!!! They are both very attached to me but will go for walks with other members of the family when they are at our house with no problems( again alone without the other)

4. shelleyabba

shelleyabba PetForums Newbie

Hi,

I don't think you have been really stupid at all. It must've been really sad when you lost your other dogs and the natural reaction is to replace (for want of a better word) them and give some new puppies a loving home.

I can really sympathise with your situation as we have two Cocker Spaniels, Jimi and Eddie... We had Jimi from 3 months old and he was a diamond, so easy to train and just really content and happy in any situation we put him in.

A couple of years ago my sister decided she wanted a Cocker too, she loved Jimi and wanted a dog just like him. She had just been through a messy break up with her husband and had two small children and unfortunately what she did was to give Eddie loads of love and affection and very little discipline. Eddie ended up becoming very protective of her and would go for the children if they tried to come near her so we offered to take him into our home and train him.

My partner works from home, like yourself, so it is very rare that our dogs are left alone for any length of time but if we ever did go out for an evening or during the day Eddie would literally howl constantly, our very understanding neighbours adviesd us of this. On one particular occasion Eddie howled constantly for four hours during the evening when we were out for a meal and our neighbours text us in the end as they were concerned for him, we came home and could hear him from the top of the road where our taxi dropped us off.

We looked into this problem and his posessiveness and after talking to a lot of peaople and researching the internet we realised that he was suffering from separation anxiety.

Have you tried crate training? This was the answer for us. I know it sounds strange but the crate changed Eddie completely, literally from day one. My partner Alex wrote this squidoo lense on Separation Anxiety in Dogs please have a look, it may help with your situation.

I wish you lots of luck as you sound like a very caring dog owner and you and your dogs should be enjoying each other.

Shelley.x

#4 shelleyabba, Apr 25, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2011
  5. snaps

snaps PetForums Junior

I don't have any advice to help, I'm afraid. But I just wanted to echo shelleyabba and say I don't think you were stupid at all when you took on two dogs.

We have a seven year old GS X and after we'd got her at eleven weeks we often wished we'd taken her sister as well so that they would be company for each other and might have helped with our dog's restless and highly strung nature.

Of course it would probably have been a disaster and we would have ended up with identical problems to yours but the thing is we didn't actually know what we were doing and could easily have gone either way.

It is so easy to make mistakes with dogs, even with the best will in the world, and I wish you the very best of luck with what you are doing.

6. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I have a similar problem in that one dog will not go out without the other, and if I take the other one, being so big and strong, he will just open all the doors and follows us!

A couple of things you could try would be a front clip harness, the sort that turns the dog around if he tries to pull, or/and, if you can, get a dogwalker to walk with you so you are not trying to handle two at once. That would be an ideal solution, I think, until they have learned not to pull.

7. thedogsmother

thedogsmother PetForums VIP

Welcome to the forum, you sound like a wonderful owner who is trying very hard to sor out your girls difficulties, I hope you manage to do it quickly so you can all start to enjoy walks together.

8. jayne5364

jayne5364 PetForums VIP

Just wondering if there are any reliable teenagers around that you would trust to walk with you after school hours. Maybe a way for them to earn some extra cash and help you at the same time. Hope you manage to sort it out.

9. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

This sounds like quite a good idea, you would be near to supervise, but not directly being pulled. I also think that you could have this problem even if they were not littermates, it is something that often happens when you have two dogs full stop, they can pine for each other and really is the only downside i have found to having two dogs. One of mine is frantic when the other is not there, she was the second one bought in, but the first manages pretty well apart from the odd nosey to see if he can find her!

10. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

Have you tried working on the separation anxiety at all? just going out for short periods with one dog (even for 5 mins). It may be better to address the problem now rather than ignore it as there may be a time where one dog will have to be on her own.

My GSD (Roxy) didn't suffer from separation anxiety at all when home alone with Toby, my other dog but used to get very upset if we all went out & she was left. we used to keep going out for very short periods until she did eventually get used to it.

I've just left her for the longest time today (over 2hrs as Toby & I got lost on our walk!) & she was fine.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice