Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Sign Up

I've been offered...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Missymoo, Jul 18, 2009.


  1. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    A bunny about 1yr but she has a litter of 4 babies!! only a week old? do you think i should say yes? i dont think i can say no really i'd feel awful and worry about where they are otherwise!! i have a couple of cages and i'm picking another one up on sunday thanks to Zoe!!

    Any advice would be greatfully recieved!! xx
     
  2. Nonnie

    Nonnie PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Apr 15, 2009
    Messages:
    17,011
    Likes Received:
    9,452
    They want to get rid of her immediately?

    Id be concerned that the stress of moving her and such a young litter could cause her to reject them.

    Could the owner keep hold of them until they are a bit older?
     
  3. minizoo

    minizoo PetForums Junior

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2009
    Messages:
    44
    Likes Received:
    1
    if they are willing to get rid then id take them to ensure they are at least given to a good home. dont want them ending up in the wrong hands x
     
  4. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    Yes that was one of my worries!!



    And so is this if i say no the wrong person could say yes?
     
  5. emzybabe

    emzybabe PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    5,786
    Likes Received:
    90
    a very difficult one,
    could you not say to the current owners it would be too dangerous to move at the mo, and ask them to wait til they are 2 weeks, i think by then they will be too big to be killed? you could then pop round every couple of days to check on her and kits, if its not too far, but tell the current owners its important not to disturb, also what have they done with the male rabbit?
    on the other hand, if the buns didnt survive then its just not meant to be and at least mum will be able to get well sooner? sinister i know
     
  6. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    I have no idea about a male!! she was advertising 2 free girls and when i aske about them she said they had gone but she had a girl with a litter she is willing to wait and sell the babies and give me the female for free!! so i had a choice wait or take the lot but to be honest i'd rather just have the whole lot and see to them myself!! she said the babies are 1wk + 4 days
     
  7. emzybabe

    emzybabe PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    5,786
    Likes Received:
    90
    I would take them ASAP then before they change their minds! good luck and hope it goes smoothly, and the little ones get good new homes, Id love to see some pictures if you get a chance.
     
  8. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    Ahhh this makes me so angry what a nasty woman, those babies are far too young to be moved :( she'll carry on breeding the poor things no doubt.
     
  9. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    Not if i have her she wont!!! She'll be done and live happily with her new friend George!! and i will make sure those babies get the best homes going!!!
     
  10. emzybabe

    emzybabe PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Messages:
    5,786
    Likes Received:
    90
    maybe hang on another week although I think once the babies get fluffy and start moving around she wont want to let them go, could u not take the whole hutch their in now with you? or put the bunnies and their nest and some of mums poo in 1 pet carrier and the mum in the next but so she can still see them, like 2 dog crates or something?
     
  11. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    Thats an idea i will ask about the hutch!! thank you
     
  12. toddy

    toddy PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2009
    Messages:
    732
    Likes Received:
    13
    To move the mum and the kits would be crazy.The stress will almost certainly make mum destroy the babies.
    Why do these stupid people breed and then want rid of the animals before they are old enough.
    People make me so angry.
    I know you are worried about them being in the wrong hands but do you want it on your conscience that they are all killed due to her being moved.
    If she was willing to keep them all until they were old enough then that is what you should do.Moving young kits is not acceptable:(
     
  13. Missymoo

    Missymoo PetForums Senior

    Joined:
    May 19, 2009
    Messages:
    642
    Likes Received:
    4
    Yes but my point was she is offering them all out at the same time as well as saying she's willing to wait!! so if i say no!! the next person may say yes anyway!!!

    I have decided not to take them! i'll try have to try and forget! :(
     
  14. crofty

    crofty PetForums VIP

    Joined:
    May 2, 2008
    Messages:
    3,705
    Likes Received:
    202
    My point is as soon as you take these she can just walk into a petshops and buy some more poor buns to breed until she gets bored again. Id report her to the RSPCA. Very nice of her to be willing to wait :rolleyes: the fact is she'd willingly moved these babies now, so she doesnt really care what happens to them does she.

    If you have the space and time to take them then id wait until the babies are older to move them so they at least have a chance to survive.
     
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice