Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ive applied for a guide dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Kinjilabs, Aug 10, 2009.

1. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Not cos Im going blind lol, went to tour their premises a while back and they were looking for people to take on Brood bitches, puppy walkers and Stud dog carers, so thought about it, didnt really want to do puppy walking cos I couldnt give it back lol, brood sounds nice but theres the seasons and all the hard work of raising pups, so have decided to go for a stud dog, they have written to me saying they are now taking on people as carers, dont know when or what breed it will be yet, but am looking forward to helping out for the guide dogs.

alphadog likes this.
  2. Tigerneko

Tigerneko PetForums VIP

That's wonderful :)

what sort of things will you be doing, is it just like offering a home to one of their stud dogs?

I'd love to be a puppy walker but my circumstances won't allow it! There's someone near me that does it though, i'm always seeing him out and about with his little yellow lab pup, it's gorgeous! He always gets stopped by people in the street about it :laugh:

3. brackensmom

brackensmom PetForums VIP

that is wonderful, yes what sort of thing will you need to do, i was speaking to the guide dog people the other day who do puppy walking, and said the hardest thing is to have to hand them back at 12 months.

4. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

What a wonderful thing you are doing, Good Luck I hope everything goes well for you.

Let us know when your new boy arrives.

5. barneythore

barneythore PetForums Senior

thats a great thing you are doing hope all goes well for you

6. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Its basically caring for the stud dog in your own home, you have to live within a certain mileage from the centre because they can need the stud dog at any time, I will be responsible for transporting him to the centre,nice thing is it will be a dog of just over 12mths old because obviously they have to be health checked to make a stud dog, so he will already be trained etc, also they pay vets fees etc, then when he retires he will become my dog:D

7. brackensmom

Oh right thiat sounds good, and that you do not have to give him up he will become your dog, do you have a female dog in your house already? how will this work with a stud dog?

8. Inca's Mum

Inca's Mum PetForums VIP

Congrats, I'm waiting now for a rejected guide dog from 6 months old...have been waiting over 5 months now with not a single sign. They said to us that fortunately for them they don't have many rejects, but unfortunately for us. I was like bugger.
    Shame as it's getting quite annoying now but I'm sure your wait will be a lot shorter than mine!

9. alphadog

alphadog PetForums VIP

Oh that's brilliant! Great to hear something good like that!

My mum keeps suggesting I apply for the puppy walking but I worry that Selma will teach the pup far too many bad habits :blushing:

Please keep us updated, I'm excited for you :D

10. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

Yes I have a female here, shes 14 and speyed tho, dowt if she will be here when dog arrives:(
    Theres no way that I would take on a stud dog with an entire female here:)

11. brackensmom

oh right, no i guessed she wasnt entire, but just wondered because my dog, will hump even neutered bitches, but perhaps he is just a randy thing, and is the exception rather than the norm with stud dogs. LOL
    Is it a long wait for the dogs?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice