Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Its theft - deliberate or otherwise!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ProtestAgainstCatStealers, Jul 27, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

I am a cat owner who bought a kitten for my daughter. Subsequently a neighbour has been feeding our cat, keeping him at their address and they have removed his collar. When I confronted the neighbour I was faced with "this is my cat" "his name is" .... Needless to say I took our cat back. What a sad situation! If there are any people on this forum who believe it is ok to feed cats that do not belong to them (bearing in mind that nearly all domestic cats are bought and paid for by their true owners, with food, home and vet bills done), then you should leave the forum now and hang your heads in shame. Putting things simply you are a thieves, criminals, and self denying fools who deserves to be in prison!!!

2. Whompingwillow

Whompingwillow PetForums VIP

I am sure most people on this forum do not feed and steal other peoples cats...
    But I am sorry that happened to you

sandy-cat, AmsMam, Emmasian and 4 others like this.
  3. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

It so happens that I have seen posts on this forum that sympathize with those who feed cats that don't belong to them. Presumably they are either mistaken in their assumption that the cat is stray or they have bad intentions in their actions. I think mostly the latter is true, simply because if you find a "stray" cat then the first thing you do is take it to the vet to check for a microchip and ownership.....

4. leashedForLife

@Protest -
    did U microchip the kitten B4 turning him loose on the world? -- & of course, U registered the chip #, & kept the contact file up to date?
    If not, why not?

If the male kitten is now 4-MO or older, has he been neutered yet? -- intact Ms don't make easy pets, & even if U don't own a F, he will find as many as possible to impregnate in his lifetime, unless he's castrated. The world doesn't need any more unintended, unplanned litters.

- terry

spotty cats likes this.
  5. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

Well Terry you are making rather a lot of assumptions. Please don't be so naive! I bought our cat as a kitten. I had him neutered / micro-chipped vaccinated / medicated all on time and up to date. So given that this neighbour didn't even take my cat to the vet to try and identify him, it is clear that they wouldn't invest in a cat as a pet, but just want to feed him so they get his company without taking any responsibility for their actions. Unfortunately they haven't thought about the massive amount of damage they have caused. They just think that cats are generally stray and can be adopted without taking responsibility. It is theft!....

6. leashedForLife

then, perhaps, @Protest, U could keep him [& any future cats, as well] at home, on Ur own property?

That would save every cat or kitten U ever own, not only from these nefarious cat-thieves, but from being run over by automobiles, beaten up by other cats, attacked by dogs, poisoned accidentally or deliberately, injured in a traumatic accident [such as slipping during a leap at some height & being impaled on something below], made sick by contagious illnesses like FIP, FIV, FeLV, infested by EXternal parasites or infected with INternal parasites, & more.

Cat-proof fencing is a wise investment, if U want Ur cats to be outside, yet be safe. A screened room or a cat-run are other options. // Otherwise I'm afraid U are gambling with their safety.

- terry

7. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

Exactly, if you want to ensure your cats aren’t fed by others (among other outside cat issues) keep them contained.

There is a ‘sticky’ at the top of the forum for cat proofing & enclosure ideas.

8. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

@ProtestAgainstCatStealers whilst I sympathise with your situation, I think it is very rude of you to join a forum just to accuse other members of stealing peoples cats!
    I think it is YOU that is making assumptions :mad:

sandy-cat, Etienne, AmsMam and 13 others like this.
  9. Blaise in Surrey

Blaise in Surrey PetForums VIP

Foll-de-roll......

Jansheff, Orla and havoc like this.
  10. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

Roll on term time.

A person is guilty of theft if he dishonestly appropriates property belonging to another with the intention of permanently depriving the other of it

Someone just feeding a cat isn't permanently depriving anyone else of it so it isn't theft unless they keep it contained in their house and don't allow it to return home. If these awful people did that how does the OP know they have it?

#10 havoc, Jul 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2018
  11. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

Quite an assumption to make that people who feed other cats every day couldn't possibly determine the difference between owned and stray, and, despite having cats themselves, must only be feeding them in order to steal from them.

Indoor cats or a cat proofed garden are the only realistic options to stop someone pinching your pet.

AmsMam, Lurcherlad, NFC slave and 3 others like this.
  12. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

Well no matter the people in this forum think or say, for someone to feed a cat that they don't own and then claim it as their own, without taking any responsibility for its welfare is theft and worse! If I might add, it is very base behaviour and appalling cruelty! ... Animal lovers? I think not!

13. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

No assumptions here, just facts:

1, The neighbour tried to steal our cat, by feeding him when they knew he was already owned. They removed his collar and kept him from us for 10 days. I retrieved him by calling at every house in the area. (I experienced much resistance from the cat thief).

2. This forum appears to sympathise with such behavior.

So according to your standards its OK to feed cats that don't belong to you???

14. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

So stop feeding Cats that you don't own!!

15. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

Thank you for you legal advice, but the fact is that feeding cats you don't own is theft, even if the law doesn't define it as such! Why would anyone do such a thing?

16. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

So it appears that you think it is common for pets to be "pinched" and therefore ok?

17. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

We have many, many threads on this topic and people who claim to have taken in a stray are always advised to get the cat checked for a microchip and try to reunite with it's owner.
    I've had thiis happen to me - my cat didn't settle well when we moved house within the neighbourhood and kept returning to our old house. The neighbour fed her and kept her in all day then turned her out at night, we had to go and fetch her home. She spent more and more time with him despite us asking him not to feed her but he wouldn't stop.We tried keeping her in the house bt she become very distressed and unhappy.
    If I'd known what I know now we would have cat proofed the garden and kept her in that way.
    I agree it's unfair, but the onus is on you to keep your cat secure and safe.

sandy-cat, AmsMam, Lurcherlad and 5 others like this.
  18. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

So, you would feed a cat that you don't own, knowing that it would come back and cause its true owners massive issues? If you found a cat and wanted to adopt it why wouldn't you check its ownership / microchip registration at the vets first? no excuse here!!

19. ProtestAgainstCatStealers

I don't agree - the onus is on those who want to feed/adopt a cat they think is stray to check the ownership / microchip registration with the local vet. Any other response is irresponsible to say the least and in my view criminal!

20. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I think you are looking for someone you can attack to relieve the anger you are feeling and you’ve decided that strangers on a forum are an easy target. I have never seen a thread on this forum in which a user, who has been feeding a so-called stray, has not been advised to have said cat checked for a microchip or to attach a paper collar in an attempt to find a cat’s owner.

Whilst I’m sorry that this has happened to you and, quite frankly, I would feel angry too if this happened with one of my cats, I think your totally uncalled for attack on members of this forum is absolutely deplorable. Take your anger and direct it at the person responsible.

Yes, there are some naive people, but most experienced cat owners on the forum do try and educate them and we hope that they will listen, but being rude and angry with those who do misguidedly feed a so-called stray will not convince them to listen; it will only antagonise them and stop them from listening.

I echo what others have said. It is your responsibility to ensure your cat remains safe and that includes protecting them from do-gooders who might want to believe your cat is a stray. The way to do this is either by catproofing your garden, so your cat remains safe on your land or building a cat enclosure.

Once again, I’m sorry you’ve had a bad experience, but taking out your anger on innocent strangers makes you as bad as the people you say stole your cat. Joining this forum and attacking everyone on this forum spouting rubbish is just wicked.

sandy-cat, Rufus15, Etienne and 10 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice