UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today has been a bit tough with Mia and Mylo. She told him off yesterday when they first met and he jumped at her face in excitement after she sniffed him a few times. When he was in his crate later in the day he puppy growled at her when she came over to him. After that they were both walking around the lounge and hall and Mia was following him but if he turned back she looked worried and tried to avoid him. They haven't seen an awful lot of each other today. Mia wanted to be downstairs and the pup has been upstairs. When they were both out in the lounge tonight Mia immediately did a low growl as soon as he came in the room and hovered over him. I took him away as I was on my own and I admit I am now nervous that she might hurt him. She is now asleep on top of her crate. She has never done that before but Mylo went in there earlier when my son left the door open. He is asleep in his crate but whined terribly when I put him in there after Mia growled at him. I don't want him to hate his crate but I want him to be safe.
I need advice please.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not really sure what to say :(

Did you get advise from a professional on how to introduce a puppy to Mia with her issues?
GSP rescue said to let them get on with it with little and often contact. I actually think I am sending out nervous vibes to Mia now. Mia is avoiding the pup now and won't go into the room he is in even when he is in his crate. He is happy to go where she is and up close to her but not as excited as he was at first. He just wanders around almost like she wasn't there. Last night when he was in his crate and she approached it he puppy growled then they both made loads of calming signals. It's today it seems worse almost as if Mia thought he would be gone by now but she has realised he isn't going anywhere. I know she can't work that out but she does seem more anxious around him today.

G

·
I'd have introduced in a neutral place, but secure. A friends backyard that Mia doesn't often go to, then hopefully, they make a degree of friendship, then go home together. Also use waggy tail voice. The high/low inflections, when you suddenly see a friend unexpectedly. Very warm and happy.

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Will she not come into the same room for cuddles with you ? Maybe some rescue remedy to relax her for a day or two :confused:

It's early days yet, Shelby was extremely miffed when she realized Enzo wasn't going anywhere. She still would never share a bed with him.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will she not come into the same room for cuddles with you ? Maybe some rescue remedy to relax her for a day or two :confused:

It's early days yet, Shelby was extremely miffed when she realized Enzo wasn't going anywhere. She still would never share a bed with him.
Nope. Even if I am in the room she won't come in. Right now I am hanging clothes up in the bedroom and Mylo is in his crate crying pitifully. She won't come in the door.

·
Registered
7,618 Posts
These things take time. I've integrated three older rescued dogs who haver become the best of friends. The growling and avoidance is normal at this stage, even if they have a few scuffles it's not the end of their relationship and they will bond after a few days/weeks. It took Bizkit and Shannow 4 days but it took Pippi and Shannow nearly a fortnight.

Be prepared to stand back and observe, supervise if necessary and break things up if it gets out of hand and all will be harmonious eventually I promise.

Patience Grasshopper :cornut:

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
These things take time. I've integrated three older rescued dogs who haver become the best of friends. The growling and avoidance is normal at this stage, even if they have a few scuffles it's not the end of their relationship and they will bond after a few days/weeks. It took Bizkit and Shannow 4 days but it took Pippi and Shannow nearly a fortnight.

Be prepared to stand back and observe, supervise if necessary and break things up if it gets out of hand and all will be harmonious eventually I promise.

Patience Grasshopper :cornut:
Thank you. I just worry because he is so little and helpless against her. His Mum was telling him (and his siblings) off when we were at the breeders collecting him yesterday but I knew she wouldn't seriously hurt him. I think I am more worried about the potential for disaster than what is actually happening. He has left his Mum, siblings, and the other 7 adult dogs he has known for the last 7 weeks and now just has Mia who is being a little hostile. Other than that he gets lots of time crying to himself and me trying not to show him too much attention so as not to upset Mia. Poor little fella is having it rough.

·
Registered
6,313 Posts
My dog is dog friendly and fine at doggy day care when he goes. He wasn't happy though having a puppy in the house and I seriously considered rehoming the puppy as Id never heard my dog growl before and then it escalated to him pinning her down and her screaming. I got lots of advice and it stopped me panicking as he has never hurt her. It took a while but she is nearly 10 months and now he encourages her to play with him at times and I never thought that would happen as she was always the one that wanted to play. She likes him more than he likes her though and I have to be aware of certain situations as he can be jealous of her although he will mostly just bark at her if annoyed. I'm sure yours will get better as well and I hope they become better friends than mine are!

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My dog is dog friendly and fine at doggy day care when he goes. He wasn't happy though having a puppy in the house and I seriously considered rehoming the puppy as Id never heard my dog growl before and then it escalated to him pinning her down and her screaming. I got lots of advice and it stopped me panicking as he has never hurt her. It took a while but she is nearly 10 months and now he encourages her to play with him at times and I never thought that would happen as she was always the one that wanted to play. She likes him more than he likes her though and I have to be aware of certain situations as he can be jealous of her although he will mostly just bark at her if annoyed. I'm sure yours will get better as well and I hope they become better friends than mine are!
Thankyou x

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Things are slightly better this morning I think. After another good 6 hour sleep overnight Mylo was ready for his breakfast by 5.45am. Quick wee outside (clever boy) then OH cuddled him on the sofa while Mia ate a tiny breakfast so pup could see her eat first. When she had finished OH then gave her loves while Mylo had his breakfast. She did the tiniest rumble when he went over to them both and tried to climb up onto OH's lap but didn't move towards him.
Back outside and another wee then OH took him into the bedroom so he could have a romp and play to tire him out again while I stayed giving Mia fuss.
Hopefully if I can keep interaction short and positive and make sure Mia gets special attention for a while she will learn that he is no threat to her position as 'bestist girl in the world'. Fingers crossed.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
How is she with puppies generally? Zimba is a very laid back dog but he hates puppies, he is very scared of them, he has never had a bad experience with one to my knowledge. When my dog sitter got her new puppy she had to just do short times of then together. The pup didn't seem to bother but Zimba would growl and try to run away. He rarely growls but he will at puppies.

I don't know what to advise but once my dog sitters pup became a bit older Zimba was no longer scared. Now they are best mates and play for hours, literally.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How is she with puppies generally? Zimba is a very laid back dog but he hates puppies, he is very scared of them, he has never had a bad experience with one to my knowledge. When my dog sitter got her new puppy she had to just do short times of then together. The pup didn't seem to bother but Zimba would growl and try to run away. He rarely growls but he will at puppies.

I don't know what to advise but once my dog sitters pup became a bit older Zimba was no longer scared. Now they are best mates and play for hours, literally.
Mia has always shown great interest in pups and is relaxed around them and those few she has met to actually interact properley with, she was patient and tolerant. One, Sydney, became her best friend and they played together every day until we moved down here. Thinking about it though, since she has been with us anyway, she has never met a pup this young. They have always been 11 weeks or more and had vaccinations and allowed to play with other dogs. Maybe she is more anxious because he is so small as well as being in her house all of a sudden.

·
Registered
14,451 Posts
Don't panic. It's just time honestly.

I've introduced many puppies over the past 35 years with very mixed reactions from my older dogs. Sometimes it can take months for them to accept a new pup but they all do eventually.

When I had Leafy, almost 11 years ago now, Quiver was terrified of her and spent an awful long time keeping out of her way. Now Leafy is Quiver's eyes and ears, goes and finds her toys out on walks if she drops them and comes to tell me if she's dropped too far back.

·
Registered
5,587 Posts
Pleased things seem to be a bit better this morning.:) I'm sure Mia just needs to get used to the pup being in her house.

Our Jay is the biggest grouch and even she accepted Moll after a while.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well we have another step forward. Both have just gone outside for a wee together. Mia only did a tiny grumble when Mylo was right underneath her. She is trying to avoid him but he is determined to stick to his big sister like glue. I let them get on with it for a few minutes then picked him up and took him away from her while it was still ok and left Mia to enjoy the garden as she usually would in the mornings. Just small and often for a few days I think.

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
Dont worry it takes time usually. I have recently introduced another Powder Puff pup into my pack and i thought they would be ok as they always have been but Quest walked in as if she owned the place and Briggs my other PP hated her on sight. She made the mistake of grabbing Torrin's tail which was a big mistake,Ollie who is my top dog told her he was boss and she said "who says" another enemy made, Koda bounced around like his brainless self and trod on her so she was scared of him and the cavs were asleep as usual on the sofa. Quest seemed to have no social skills which i think was down to being a single pup. Two weeks later pup at the moment is beating up old Folly and she is loving it, Torrin and Briggs play zoomies with her Ollie loves her Koda is still an idiot and she is a bit nervous of her but will play with him after his walk and he is a bit calmer.Pups usually havejuvinile immunity and adult dogs will grump to give them manners but let them get away with murder it gives out when pup goes through adolesence

·
Registered
2,427 Posts
Sounds like things are going in the right direction :) I wouldn't worry too much and think they way you are doing little and often is good. When I introduced Sam into the house Oscar was really unsure I think because Sam was so little and was wary of Oscar which then made Oscar wary of him.

Oscar didn't like him touching him or going near anything he thought was his and so would have a grumble I really thought I'd done the wrong thing. However after a few days Oscar started to come round and as Sam got bigger Oscar realised how fun it was to have a playmate at hand whenever he wanted.

Sam is now 6 months and Oscar still doesn't always like Sam lying next to him but for the most part they get on like a house on fire and I have no worries about introducing another pup in the future :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.