UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got Lexi settled on new food, sorting out her picky eating, and now she has a new thing... walking round and crying/whining... ALL the time... she can be doing it with she's lying chewing her bone or playing catch..... honest to god it's driving us crazy.... I don't know if we are making it worse by reacting to it but..... I honestly just don't know what to do.
I think I might get her like a treat ball or something, or one of them brain teaser games... something to get her mind working... might start working more on more tricks too... I've been neglecting the training apart from basics recently so I will try to get her learning more things... just to get her brain working...

She's getting spayed next tuesday and having her hernia fixed and I am dreading it... so worried. All we need is something else to worry about >.< argh this dog doesn't help my stress levels!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Do you think she could be in pain? I know one of mine is very restless if her arthritis is playing up... maybe worth discussing with your vet and trying low dose of metacam or similar for a short period to see if it is pain.

If she is just restless frozen kongs, treat balls and getting them to use their brain is all good! Hiding treats or similar...

·
Banned
12,847 Posts
I agree, she could possibly be in pain. My poorly boy gets very whingey and restless when he's in a bit of discomfort, but will settle immediately after a dose of his meds.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Just got Lexi settled on new food, sorting out her picky eating, and now she has a new thing... walking round and crying/whining... ALL the time... she can be doing it with she's lying chewing her bone or playing catch..... honest to god it's driving us crazy.... I don't know if we are making it worse by reacting to it but..... I honestly just don't know what to do.
I think I might get her like a treat ball or something, or one of them brain teaser games... something to get her mind working... might start working more on more tricks too... I've been neglecting the training apart from basics recently so I will try to get her learning more things... just to get her brain working...

She's getting spayed next tuesday and having her hernia fixed and I am dreading it... so worried. All we need is something else to worry about >.< argh this dog doesn't help my stress levels!
Signs of whining and restless can be a sign of ilness, pain or discomfort so if its something new might well be worth getting her throughly checked over.
Has she always been a picky eater? not having a good appetite can sometimes indicate a problem too, although some are just fussy and picky then it becomes a habit and battle of wills almost.

Is she teething, Kobi was terrible for restless and whining when he was teething so it may be that even. Any signs of stretching and back arching thats often a sign of discomfort sometimes stomach.

If could be though attention seeking so behavioural, if you do reward it any way, even inadvertently it will likely re-enforce the behaviour.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Signs of whining and restless can be a sign of ilness, pain or discomfort so if its something new might well be worth getting her throughly checked over.
Has she always been a picky eater? not having a good appetite can sometimes indicate a problem too, although some are just fussy and picky then it becomes a habit and battle of wills almost.

Is she teething, Kobi was terrible for restless and whining when he was teething so it may be that even. Any signs of stretching and back arching thats often a sign of discomfort sometimes stomach.

If could be though attention seeking so behavioural, if you do reward it any way, even inadvertently it will likely re-enforce the behaviour.
She's over 1 now so isn't teething. She's always been a picky eater. I've been worried that she may be in pain and have worried about her having arthritis in the future as her back legs aren't great. But I honestly can't see pain.... she can we wagging her tail and running about on a walk (which would cause more pain) with no complaints and yet when she is home she is restless. Tried manipulating her leg and again... no yelping or anything. Think she is bored and attention seeking. Trying not to give in and stroke her every time or talk to her every time but it's getting annoying and we are trying to hush her.
I don't do a lot of training with her so I can up that. She has loads of toys tho but sometimes she doesn't want to play with them by herself so whines.... she used to walk round whining when we took away her soft toys (she started eating them) especially if she knew they were in a cupboard or something.
She is at the vets on tuesday for spay and I was planning on asking them to feel her knees and have a look for me to see if they think there's anything wrong atm. So I will defo have her checked, don't worry.

Honestly just think she's whining.... think it's her new thing... like a "party trick" :/

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Does anyone know if they do a blood test on dogs to see if they have arthritis?
Interactive toys that are also rewarding would likely be your best bet like Kongs or busy buddy twist and treats or safe chews and things, that should get her more absorbed in them.

As far as joint problems and arthritis goes its mostly done on orthopaedic examination and xrays and scans as far as I know, even in humans I think there is only a blood test for rheumatoid arthritis which is auto immune.

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
I think when they are moving on a walk etc. they forget about the pain... it's the actual settling and trying to find a comfy position that they struggle with (or I know I do when my knee is sore!) at least you have an ideal time to have her thoroughly checked over... then you can rule that out and you know she is just being a pain herself!

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
this may be a really silly suggestion..but, is there any chance she could be having a phantom? just with you mentioning the crying with the toys :)
Thats a good point! Has she had a season recently phantoms usually happen in di-estrus, the third stage when things have returned to normal externally but hormone levels are still high, Di estrus lasts about 60/90 days and follows pro estrus and estrus that last around 20/21 days. If the timing fits any signs like eating more, weight gain, enlarged nipples etc.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
this may be a really silly suggestion..but, is there any chance she could be having a phantom? just with you mentioning the crying with the toys :)
Ah, no i don't think so. She only cried cause she wanted to chew them and I took them off her, she wasn't collecting or hoarding them. Just got.... too interested in chewing holes in them and eating fabric. For safety reasons she only gets a rare supervised play with softer toys. But she doesn't like to get a toy taken off her.. if you chuck a toy like a ball and it gets stuck somewhere she would cry while trying to get it... it's like that, not phantom symptoms.

Shame about the tests.. Don't know if they would do x-rays on the same day. Oh god... the expense lol just bought everyones xmas pressies and totally forgot about the £80 I have to spend on the spay haha good job I don't have money problems XD

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thats a good point! Has she had a season recently phantoms usually happen in di-estrus, the third stage when things have returned to normal externally but hormone levels are still high, Di estrus lasts about 60/90 days and follows pro estrus and estrus that last around 20/21 days. If the timing fits any signs like eating more, weight gain, enlarged nipples etc.
She had her first season in the beginning of august time. She hasn't gained weight (lost weight when she stopping eating much but has settled at her usual weight again now that her food has been changed) and she has developed nipples but they aren't enlarged so I highly doubt it's a phantom.

I think she just knows how to get attention. Will have her looked over at the vets but will defo try to entertain her more.

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
They should be able to tell a lot from an ortho exam, as they manipulated and over extend the joints in different positions and they can tell if there is a pain response and from where usually. They can usually tell if there is any stiffening of joints too, even things like luxating patellas (slipping kneecap) they can find and grade with examination.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They should be able to tell a lot from an ortho exam, as they manipulated and over extend the joints in different positions and they can tell if there is a pain response and from where usually. They can usually tell if there is any stiffening of joints too, even things like luxating patellas (slipping kneecap) they can find and grade with examination.
Yeah I figured they'd get more from an examination. Least to tell me if they think there are any problems. She's insured so any problems can be accounted for if she ever did need long term or short term treatment.
See what the vet says next week and I'll update you all then and after I introduce some boredom killing ideas.

Thanks for the comments :)

·
Registered
39,811 Posts
Yeah I figured they'd get more from an examination. Least to tell me if they think there are any problems. She's insured so any problems can be accounted for if she ever did need long term or short term treatment.
See what the vet says next week and I'll update you all then and after I introduce some boredom killing ideas.

Thanks for the comments :)
If they think if there is anything suspect after the exam they will likely suggest xray anyway especially as shes going to be out for spaying. Likely they will offer you post op blood tests as well mine do, just to make sure everything is OK in case because of the anaesthetic. I usually have them done whatever the age, but as its a precaution and not a neccessity usually you cant claim for it on the insurance even if it is an Op you can claim for unlike spaying.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.