Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

It's kitten season!

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by KittyKat1, May 8, 2010.

1. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

It's kitten season again and a lot of kittens will go uncared for and die.
    Anyone going to adopt a kitten this year?
    I got my little Bruno last year!!
    My local animal shelter already have over 30 kitten - unfortunately all the black little kittens go witout homes so I think I'm going to take 2 in this year, I'm going to wait until the end of kitten season though so all the little ones get good homes and I can take the one's overlooked!

2. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

Even over here there will be a boom in kittens and cats handed in to the shelter :frown:

We only have one rescue shelter now, the second one shut on the 2nd of May this year.

But i can not rehome from there as i do not ''fit the criteria'' :mad: :( so if i want another cat/kitten i have to go private.

3. KittyKat1

KittyKat1 PetForums Member

Awh that's sad, I volunteer at the shelter so I'll prob be helping out over the summer. I have the room for a few more cats, my OH will prob just let me take 2 though!

4. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

LOL!!! If i was ''allowed'' i would have lots of rescues from the shelter. I ahve one rescue dog but he was a private.

It is so sad to see so many poor animals in rescue :frown:

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

Was just at petsmart and there was a litter of kittens and several adults. Soooooo cute an adorable. Tho the downside is the kittens fee was 225$ which I thought was a bit pricey.

Also I dont like idea of someone coming into my house to check it out so I more then likely wont rescue.

6. NigelB

NigelB PetForums Newbie

We seem to get ours by default! Our cats adopt us - Chalky (jet black of course) just came and sat on me one day when I was working under the car, and never left. Found out later he had lived rough under a hedge for 3 years! Then 3 months ago Gucci came to stay - we think she was abandoned as we live quite remotely and near a river so good place for horrid people to dump unwanted ones. Just booked her in to be spayed and when checked she was 3 weeks pregnant - she had 4 kittens 2 days ago now. We'll probably keep 2.

So we do our bit rescuing but without ever having to go out and look for the opportunity!

7. tordis

tordis PetForums Senior

I'd love to adopt one as company for my Loki, but my local shelters (both Celia Hammond Animal Trust) only let kittens to new homes in pairs, and I only have permission to have two cats in my flat :(
    Anyone knows of other shelters in SE London that would let me adopt one kitten?

8. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I've heard that about black cats too, I don't know why this is but think its really silly! I adopted 2 last year & would have more if I could afford them:)

9. Kaitlyn

Kaitlyn PetForums Senior

I applied for rehoming a kitten and would have gladly given a black kitty a home with us. Apparently they had none at our local CPL... kitten season and they had no kittens in shelter?!?

Anywho's looking online and someone selling a black kitten so i've had him.. downside is hes riddled with fleas! Only found out after he'd been here nearly 48 hours :mad: So much for him being treated like i was told...

Gutted i couldn't rehome one from a shelter but at least Harley is now well loved and evicting his lodgers :D:thumbup:

10. nikkynoo

nikkynoo PetForums Junior

I think its because there more common. We did look last year and found two of the most gorg main coon cats that had to be homed as a pair they would of been perfect for us great with dogs and kids but we failed the home vist because we didnt have a garden (only a small yard) dispite the fact there is a huge open woodland and the eastry over the road. They also wanted £160 for them which i thought was a heck of a lot and that at the cpl. I wont be adopting any as i have already have one who just seemed to move in with us. She is about to have kittens but they already have homes waiting for them.

#10 nikkynoo, May 9, 2010
    Last edited: May 9, 2010
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice