Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Its just a rat...

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by chrisd, Jan 11, 2012.

1. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

As some of you may know my little girl Smudge is suffering from poor balance and after being on a course of Baytril, appears to have made no sign of recovery.

When I tell my friends I'm taking her to the vets again (after the £50 fee last time) they all say things like "its just a rat" and "just put it outside and you won't have to pay". Its really annoying that they can't get their heads around the fact that I actually love my rats and they are a member of my family and it can be hurtful to think they would suggest such things.

Has anyone else ever experienced such comments?

2. momentofmadness

momentofmadness PetForums VIP

I think most who keep Rats have.. i went through this with our Jason Last year.. His balance went the drugs didn't really help.. ..

Best of Luck Smudge.. xxx

3. Waterlily

Waterlily Amused

I got loads of smart ass comments about my "rodents" by ignorant people, its hard not to tell them where to go lol.

4. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

It really is annoying. I suppose its their loss to never be able to have the benefit of such a great little pet.

5. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

my mums the same, she told me to sell mine to make some money lol! mmm no mum

6. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

I wish I could have more rats to be honest but I just can't afford a big enough cage at the minute. I'd like to try bonding as it sounds like a fun challenge :D

7. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

They are like pringles once you have one its hard to stop :D Ive got 19 now i was only meant to have 2 :eek: :eek: Ive done intros 7 times and only one has ever made me go eeekk really. Boys have been so much easier and just taken on each set of babies without batting an eyelid! the girls the last one i think because she was soooo hectic even tho theres only 2 weeks between her and my other youngest i think she got on everyone else's nerves lol

8. chrisd

chrisd PetForums VIP

19...wow

How many cages do you have?

9. WelshYorkieLover

WelshYorkieLover PetForums VIP

I haven't come across those sort of comments but one friend did say they that they're vermin and I could catch a disease etc. and I just smile and nod and feel sorry for her cos she'll never know the happiness that a rat gives you! And there's no point trying to explain they could never understand!

I hope he gets better soon x

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

Two :) its 9 girls in a happy house but soon to be explorer if I get an answer off the seller!

And 10 boys in a double abode which was custom made by plonking two abodes on each other and cutting some bars away do they have access to both it's massive! It only cost around £80 inculding petrol for a 4 hour drive to pick one up

11. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

I had quite a debate with one of the girls I work with about this. I'd just taken all my girls to the vets for URI and then one of them had a hole in her stomach so I was back and forth for a couple of weeks. Cost me just over £100 which I thought was an absolute bargain tbh...
    Anyway, she was like what a waste of money. I can't believe you even waste money on feeding them let alone taking them to the vets, they only live 2 years, they're disgusting, why would you want to help a disgusting animal........
    I just said because they're like my children. I think some people's children are disgusting but they take them to the doctors because they chose to bring them into this world. It's my responsibility to look after them and keep them healthy.
    And because I love them <3

Hope your Smudge gets better soon. Good vibes your way {{{{{{

12. Acid

Acid PetForums Member

i get this too off my dad sometimes :/ he says my hamsters are disgusting and dirty, that they pee everywhere and ill get bugs living in the cages
    i hate it mainly because its simply not true hamsters are extremely clean animals (youll probably get a few exceptions but what species doesnt have exceptions to the rule?) and the only way that would happen is if i didnt clean them for months! but that goes for any animal or human

i do also hate when people say things like "its only a rat/mouse/hamster/gerbil go buy another one theyre only £... why pay 10 times that amount when its probably gonna die soon anyway" when theyre ill and i spend lots for their vet bills. people fail to see that the price tag is what a person puts on a life but doesnt make them worth the amount put on them, itd probably be a different story if they cost hundreds of pounds to buy

13. RubyReckless

RubyReckless PetForums Junior

If it's any help, I get this with our chickens all the time too - even worse, people assume I'll eat them. "why not just pop it in the pot?" "When they stop laying will they be your Sunday roasts?"
    Well, because a) I've been a vegetarian for 21 years b) they are my PETS with names and personalities and c) your dogs never brought you breakfast and you aren't eating them, so get a sense of perspective, for heaven's sake.

I'm so sorry your wee rat is ill. They are adorable, lovable and engaging pets and I think the world of ours.

14. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

its not just a rat, its a member of the family. People treat dogs and cats like they would their children so why do they find it strange when people become so attached to rats? They are just as cute, loving and intelligent

15. Maltey

Maltey PetForums VIP

Probably more so.
    I mean not more intelligent, that's science, but I would say they are definitely more loving and affectionate. And a billion times cuter :)

16. manic rose

manic rose PetForums VIP

dont know what I would do without my boys. they really are like my little babies. even my mum refers to them as her grandsons, lol.

TBH I've learnt not to talk to friends/colleagues when a small pet I have is ill as the majority simply dont understand why I want to spend my money on treatment when they have a relatively short life span anyway. Its sad really. If it was a cat or dog, most people would be more understanding

17. Drakino

Drakino PetForums Junior

Some people don't understand it with dogs and cats either. My grandparents told Mum to leave the cats behind last time we moved, and were very disapproving when we ended up spending hundreds on Fudge's knee (the knee cap kept popping out of its socket and causing him lots of pain).

It sucks, but some people I think just don't understand pets at all, that when you've adopted an animal, you have full responsibility for them, and they are never "just" a whatever.

18. xkimxo

xkimxo PetForums Senior

If only i had a pound everytime someone has said things like that to me.... id be able to buy a few lovely new rat cages thats for sure. Almost all my rats have come to me from 'free to good home' adverts and then i have spent an immense amount of money on them. Why? because i love them :D. I dont understand how people dont like them or small animals in general to be honest. My mother and father are the least understanding people ever and nowdays i just ignore any stupid comment from them (luckily i dont live with them anymore). At the end of the day its your life, your time and money so i tell people to mind there own. Its their loss

19. kat04kt

kat04kt PetForums Member

Urgh, I get this ALL the time. People actually come up to me in work and say things like, oh I love guinea pigs especially in a bap (guinea pigs are still food in South America) they think this is hilarious.

I've actually created an entirely different facebook page just dedicated to my animals and people who are interested in animals. That way I can write posts about my furry friends and put pictures up that people are going to say nice things about, rather than making wise cracks.

You just gotta lump I'm afraid, but take heart there are plenty of people out there who LOVE rodents, and especially rats :)
    xx

20. sammieanne111

sammieanne111 PetForums Junior

I was in the local Library with my Step Daughter, While she was having a look at books about different animals, the Library assistant came over and asked if she needed any help. Flo who's 12yrs suddenly out of the blue say's out loud I would like a book on Rats please....

The Library assistant replied quite abruptly you don't want a book on Rats they are vermin and your catch a disease!!!

I was just about to have a massive go at the assistant when Flo comes out with I will never catch a disease from any of my Rats do you know they are my pets.
    They are very clean and they don't even bite, You don't know much do you!.

Flo has Aspergers Syndrome and she always says it as it..

At times this can get her into all sorts of trouble because she can come across quite rude. I explained to the Library assistant that she had got of lightly I was so angry.. as it was they didn't have a book on Rats lol..........

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice