UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Its HAPPENED! the words ALL young dog owners want to hear!

938 views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  tiatortilla 
#1 ·
:D yep! Out walking yesterday and we met 2 labs while out, a 6 month old and a 13 month old! both owners said the words I have been longing to hear!

wooooooow, he is SUCH a calm well behaved boy! :D :D :D :D

I had noticed a few weeks ago that he had become very good, but didnt like to say just in case :eek: a few other people that know us from walking have commented on how great he is now also, but these where strangers who where judging him right there and then :D

I am now the one that gives words of comfort, saying how bad Ernie was, that he was very hard work, and for them not to worry. I am now the one that says, its ok.... wait till they are about his age (2) and they will be much better :D

After nearly 2 years of stress, strains and struggles I have come out the other side with a VERY good boy, that still has a funny, bouncy personality but does as he is told! Every person that meets him comments on his lovely nature, so friendly and fun, not a bad bone in him :blushing:

I simply had to post this as I owe it to Ern to spread the word ha ha ha, plus the fact I am very proud of him.

For those of you that have been on this journey with me and offered words of support and encouragement I thank you :D

My mission here is complete! :thumbup:

See less See more
#3 ·
Oh yes, spinning is still in progress :D, I have put us back on the list for dog training :) he still needs to get to level 2!

I thought we would have a breather for a while (by breather I mean go to a different class ha ha ha ) and I now think he can have a shot at doing level 1 again with a high enough score to get to level 2 (its a real high pass mark to move up a class as level 2 requires a lot of calmness and attention)

Im sure he can do it this time..... he was only a few points off last time. :p

#6 ·
Great feeling, isn't it? :D I still get a glow from that time a few months ago when a group of passing dog walkers remarked on how well behaved Double Trouble were, sitting and waiting for a treat, barely taking their eyes off me in case they missed that special moment :D with hardly a glance at their own dogs.

OK, the fact that I had a variety of different treats might have had something (Ok . . . a lot :rolleyes: :D) to do with it, but it's a great feeling.

Well done to you both. It's well deserved :)

#7 ·
Great feeling, isn't it? :D I still get a glow from that time a few months ago when a group of passing dog walkers remarked on how well behaved Double Trouble were, sitting and waiting for a treat, barely taking their eyes off me in case they missed that special moment :D with hardly a glance at their own dogs.

OK, the fact that I had a variety of different treats might have had something (Ok . . . a lot :rolleyes: :D) to do with it, but it's a great feeling.

Well done to you both. It's well deserved :)
IT IS :D even this morning he was stood looking at a dog playing, I shouted for him to come this way, and back he came at full belt :D deffo worth a treat :D

#14 ·
Well done you two! Keep up the great work!

Have to say I feel somewhat smug when we meet Labs towing their owners along on the lead, and S+B are trotting along on loose(ish) leads. We've had Scooter 10 years now and it's only in the last 2 or 3 years that we've cracked it with his lead work - so rewarding to see the hard work paying off and truly humbling to hear people compliment their behaviour.
Fortunately Breeze has always wanted to be a good girl :D

#15 ·
Your post has given me lots of hope! And im with Bessiedog, if you ever want to take Basil off my hands and work with him then feel free - ill have him back at 2 (ish!)

#17 ·
:D yep! Out walking yesterday and we met 2 labs while out, a 6 month old and a 13 month old! both owners said the words I have been longing to hear!

wooooooow, he is SUCH a calm well behaved boy! :D :D :D :D

I had noticed a few weeks ago that he had become very good, but didnt like to say just in case :eek: a few other people that know us from walking have commented on how great he is now also, but these where strangers who where judging him right there and then :D

I am now the one that gives words of comfort, saying how bad Ernie was, that he was very hard work, and for them not to worry. I am now the one that says, its ok.... wait till they are about his age (2) and they will be much better :D

After nearly 2 years of stress, strains and struggles I have come out the other side with a VERY good boy, that still has a funny, bouncy personality but does as he is told! Every person that meets him comments on his lovely nature, so friendly and fun, not a bad bone in him :blushing:

I simply had to post this as I owe it to Ern to spread the word ha ha ha, plus the fact I am very proud of him.

For those of you that have been on this journey with me and offered words of support and encouragement I thank you :D

My mission here is complete! :thumbup:
Dillon did that to me wonderful behaviour just after his second birthday for a few weeks, I thought thank goodness we had left the teenager behind, we had for about 2 months and then it was back not for long but it was a shook when it happened. I have been told since that it can happen with the bigger breeds as it takes longer for them reach maturity, not sure if the smaller breeds are the same.

#18 ·
Dillon did that to me wonderful behaviour just after his second birthday for a few weeks, I thought thank goodness we had left the teenager behind, we had for about 2 months and then it was back not for long but it was a shook when it happened. I have been told since that it can happen with the bigger breeds as it takes longer for them reach maturity, not sure if the smaller breeds are the same.
uuuuuh ooooooh! am I in the eye of the storm? :eek:

well, watch this space, I might be bald from pulling hair out soon enough :D

#19 ·
Your post has given me lots of hope! And im with Bessiedog, if you ever want to take Basil off my hands and work with him then feel free - ill have him back at 2 (ish!)
hahahahahaha again yes please.... the more dogs the merrier :D although I havent always been the best for training, in fact I think at our training classes it was me being trained more than Ern..... :eek:

Seems I wasnt to good at being consistent, and my commands where all over the place! especially with recall. As soon as I was consistent with recall, he grasped it very quickly! I was letting him run off if I knew the dogs you see, but to Ern that means he can run off if he wants.... :eek: woops

he really is a good lad, I wouldnt change him for the world, health issues and all :blushing:

#20 ·
well done you! it's funny but i think the compliments from people who have no reason to be nice (ie. strangers!) about your dog are the best. a man told me a while ago that tia was the only dog he's seen all day walking nicely on the lead and i was sooo proud :) that's all gone out the window at the moment for some reason (being a teenager, i think!) so i defo know what you mean about not wanting to speak too soon....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.