Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

its getting VERY stressy around here!!

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Aug 4, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

so much biting and moaning!
    have you all noticed how we dont get as many visitor on the rabbit forum? i think its because no matter what people say someone always has a problem with it!
    wether its where they get there buns, the sizes of the hutches etc surely all that matters is that people care and love there rabbits? people here arent throwing them on the streets or into rescues yet there are some telling others off :confused: what gives them the right?

TBH nearly every thread now has a comment like it on it and its getting boring!

think i need a break from this place as a few are ruining it for others! the friends i made on here i no longer see regular as i know there fed up with it here too as we have spoke via pm's.
    so if my friends arent here and all i see is comments on peoples ways that are peeing me off whats the point of being here?

2. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Totally agree with your Frags, its getting beyond a joke and im sure it scares some of the newbies off!

All i can say is just ignore the bitchyness and take note of the nice comments and advice that is given by the friendlier people x
    We all love our buns and that is why we come on here for advice and to share our stories so lets keep it at that x

3. stacey11

stacey11 PetForums Junior

I've been thinking the exact same thing for the last few days, so sick of reading it, it's enough to scare all the newbies off! I might not post that much on here but I love reading all the different posts but there's too much negativity now!!

4. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

this is defiantly getting annoying, I think this is why the crazy4criters site was set up, but really cant stand to stare at their colour scheme.

I appreciate that people mean well, with their comments, however some are deliberately worded harshly.The majority of the people on here just want to swap ideas and advice and help people out as well as a good off topic chat. Giving non constructive comments to people and putting them down, makes everyone who reads the comment feel bad. There are far nicer ways to word suggestions, and i feel if you really have issues with something then you should pm the person. However u are still likely to put that person off using the forum again which we dont want to do as that person might be a lifeline to us if we have a problem in the future.

Thank u frags for having the guts to bring this up

5. Peppa

Peppa PetForums Junior

I know i am quite new on here but the first post i put on about my 2 rabbits someone said the hutch was too small, even though it is only for a single rabbit and its a 2 storey one and he gets free roam of my big yard all day!

It did put me off posting as much as i would like, asi felt like i was being told off and not looking after my rabbits so i know what you mean! :(

6. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

Just ignore them peppa, I'm sure u do more for ur rabbit than most owners and i'm sure he/she is very happy living with u.

7. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Agreeing here too, was disappointed at getting my thread hyjacked when introducing my new bun its made me feel bad about getting him. We need to advice people in the right direction rather than tell them off for what they're doing wrong. Need to remember not everyone here knows everything about rabbits and are coming for advice to better themselves rather than being made to feel bad at what they're doing.

Here's an example, my first rabbit I was given as a present when I was five. Being five I didn't have a clue how to look after him but done my best, he was fed and watered everyday. Yes he was in small hutch with a run but I didn't know any better and mum didn't know a lot about buns either. He died aged six and I had him from a two year old, he was happy and got lots of cuddles everyday but he wasn't in the best conditions possible. My next rabbit Sophie I was given when I was 10, for her I read up about rabbits from the leaflets the breeder gave us and I became more interested in reading up on caring for her and giving her the best I could. My only mistake with her was she was never spayed, but she never had any problems and not being told about the cancer issue I didn't think she needed to be spayed since she was on her own. She died aged eight having to be put to sleep after an agressive infection in her mouth that we couldn't get rid of after god knows how many courses of antibiotics. After losing Sophie and learning so much from her and the books I was a mess and desperately wanted another rabbit so my sister found me Rosie who needed rescuing. Rosie has no front teeth and behaviour issues because of where she came from, she's been spayed and vaccinated. But Rosie seemed lonely because I was now at college and couldn't give her the time as I did with Sophie so I Got Charlie. Charlie as you know has died and Rosie was again unhappy so now I'm preparing to bond her with the new boy I have George. Missing Daisy out from this because I aquired her from work as the owner was going to give her up to charity.

So I like most new rabbit owners didn't know what was best but from advice and reading I learnt over time and now I think I'm doing a good job with the lot I have now.

Don't bite peoples heads off over mistakes and this isn't meant as a rant just my opinion and example.

Sorry for the wall of text.

8. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

In order to care about and love somthing surely you should treat it properly, including the right home, food and lifestyle.

Its an opinion, that isn't against the law. Sometimes its a suggestion made in order to be helpful, theres nothing wrong with that - well at least I didn't think there was! :001_unsure:

9. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Totally agree frags, I don't come into this section much, but when I have read threads, I feel like saying, "just give them a break." Some people are always making petty comments about the smallest details sometimes, very annoying.
    x

10. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Love means nothing to a rabbit. You can keep a rabbit in a tiny hutch and still love it, doesnt mean it will be happy and have a good quality of life.

Many people on here, myself included, feel very strongly about the health and welfare of rabbits. I dont post on forums to make "friends" i post to share my knowledge and experience.

If i feel someone isnt housing their rabbit correctly, or is feeding it incorrectly, i feel i have every right to say so. I wont ever condone the cruel confinement of ANY animal.

Id hate for any new owner to come on here and think certain hutches and housings are acceptable when they quite obvisouly arent. Its about educating people.

11. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

Yes I keep well away from here now after being attacked as soon as I first posted in here. :rolleyes:

12. Michelle666

Michelle666 PetForums Senior

Got it in one! I never mean to sound horrible, its purely advice and suggestions!

13. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I have just looked at your hutch and it looks absolutely fine to me.:confused: I have two dwarf rabbits in 4ft two storey hutches with a run attached and they are absolutely fine.

14. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Its not so much about telling people whats right and wrong thats perfectly fine and good to do but its the way some people are putting it across.

Simple examples completely fictional: How not to advice someone
    Random new rabbit owner - I just got a rabbit and keeping her in a 4' hutch.
    Random Forum member - You can't keep your rabbit in a 4' hutch its too small and unfair on the rabbit.

How best to advice someone
    Random new rabbit owner - I just got a rabbit and keeping her in a 4' hutch.
    Random forum member - It may be worth getting a bigger hutch, a 4' hutch is too small to give a bun enough space to move, I'd advice at least 5' for a small breed.

Which would you prefer to hear being new on a forum like this?

15. BeckyLH

BeckyLH PetForums Junior

I agree that it is about education but there are ways and means to go about educating people which does not include comments such as "your hutch is disgustingly small". Surely it would better to say, "your hutch looks a little on the small side, rabbits need a lot of exercise, have you considered..." The fact that people come on here ususally means they are caring owners who would like some advice about their pets and they don't need to be hounded as soon as they get here.

When I was a child a kept a nethie in a 4ft cage for 5 years. Yes it had exercise and handling everyday but it was wrong. It was not spayed or vaccinated because I didn't know and was far too young and ignorant to have the responsibility. I am now a very responsible owner who knows and provides exactly what my rabbits need. Everyone has to start somewhere.

16. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Completely agree with you.
    If people used the first example, it's usually when others go on and on and on and on making the owner feel worse.

17. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Either one is absolutely fine imo.

I will agree that sometimes things arent always put across in the best of ways. But this is the internet and should not be taken seriously enough to upset someone in real life.

If someone is actually offended and hurt by the written word of a faceless stranger, then maybe the internet is not for them.

18. BeckyLH

BeckyLH PetForums Junior

I disagree. On this basis how can you expect someone to take your advice seriously?

19. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I dont. Most people ignore everything that is said to them on a forum.

Only a small percentage will take on board any advice that is offered to them.

The same goes for those trying to educate from with the pet industry. No matter how much you try to educate people on basic animal welfare, ultimately they will do what they think is best. They will still get the smaller hutch, they will still buy the cheaper food, they will still leave bun in all day when it rains. This is why i got out of breeding, and out of the pet industry, as people really dont care.

20. kellyrich

kellyrich PetForums VIP

Just reading through this thread and its just happening again.

All i can say is i love my bun and i know everybody on here does too and my advice would be to just ignore the comments and people that you want to, even though it does get very frustrating. Ive been on the other end of it a few times even though Stan gets treated like gold. i think the good friendly people know who they are so just stick together!

Its getting very silly and to be honest a total waste of time cos the nasty comments that are being made are making people ignore the advice even more cos of the way are put across! And i dont blame them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice