Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Its been a whole year but it is still painful

Discussion in 'Rainbow Bridge' started by Magicfruityloops, Nov 15, 2012.

1. Magicfruityloops

Magicfruityloops PetForums Newbie

I lost my beautiful rescue Lurcher in December last year. Unfortunately I was out of the country and I hadnt seen him in a few months.

My mum had to make the hardest phone call of her life to contact me. I got the call 6 days before Xmas.

Apparently Bruce had died of suspected internal bleeding, after having a playing a rough game of chase with a neighbouring dog. He died peacefully in my dads arms. He was just 6.

We adopted him from a dog warden as he was badly in need of a home. He had been neglected and possibly abused.

It took a long time for him to settle down, as he was always too bouncy and very clumsy. However, with patience from us (and a little from him) he calmed down.

He didnt take to training particularly well, unless it suited him at the time; and he loved taking long walks of the lead, only to disappear for long periods of time.

He loved dog toys, and visitors to our house could expect to be brought various offerings within moments of sitting down. He was so generous with his toys (because he never had any before) that he felt everyone must share in his enjoyment. I remember when my mum was in ill in bed, and Bruce sorted through his toy box to bring her his favourite toys to make her feel better.

Im not ashamed to say that writing this is making cry. So I think i will end here.

RIP Bruce, the best companion and friend I could ever ask for.

Attached Files:

2. Cromford

Cromford PetForums Senior

Sounds like Bruce was a lovely dog. It's little wonder you still miss him. I'm sure he will be grateful you came into his life. Be happy that you did.

3. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Bye Bruce, RIP

4. ChuckC

ChuckC PetForums Newbie

Yes, its still painful. If you hadn't loved him, it wouldn't be. The loss of a beloved friend can take 18 months and more to run its course. And even after that for however you have to wait before you can(hopefully) see him again, there'll always be a quick stab to your heart when you think of him. And should other furry friends come into your life and be given your love, they will not supplant Bruce but join him. The heart has unlimited room for those we love.

Just my belief, but this is as it should be. If a person doesn't grieve those they love, maybe its because they can't really love in the first place.

5. Prinkess

Prinkess PetForums Member

I hope good memories will overpower the bad and you can smile through the tears as you remember him.
    Sleep peacefully, Bruce. x

6. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

The first year is the worst, then its just awful.....

did you ever take your dog lamping, youve not seen a Lurcher till youve been out with the spotlight...

God bless and care for your feller

7. missRV

missRV PetForums VIP

Poor Bruce :(

8. jonb

jonb PetForums Senior

RIP Bruce sounds like he had a good life with you

9. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

I don't thing you every get over the loss of a love one.
    The pain does ease but I don't think it ever goes away.
    He was a lovely dog and what you and your family done was great.
    You gave him all the love and needs that any little one would want.
    You should be very proud.
    One Day you will all meet up again at the Bridge x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice