Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy Westie

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by siobhan17, Jul 15, 2009.

1. siobhan17

siobhan17 PetForums Newbie

Hi - My 7 month old westie bitch, Mabel, has developed what I think may be westie itch! Would love to hear any useful advice from anyone as I have her on 1/2 Tavergil twice a day (as per vet advice) - and she's been on Burns Fish & Brown Rice for a month now. - but is still itching and biting away at her legs in particular. They are red and blotchy now.

I know that she's had a few fleas (even though kept up Advocate initially then Frontline as per instructions) which may be irritating her?! Which is another area I'm finding difficult to keep at bay - even though have sprayed everything in site regularly to keep them away the little bu**ers still keep appearing. Have had her coat taken back as far as poss to help with the heat .... any ideas?
    Any advice would be gratefully accepted
    thanks a million:)

2. Bex190

Bex190 PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear Mabel is having problems.
    What sort of area do you walk her on? If she goes through long grass at any point that could be irritating her.

3. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

westies can be very very sensitive to certain foods, it's unlikely to be the burns as thats a really good food for her to be on. does she get anything else? any human food? what sort of treats does she get? coz it could be something like that that is aggravating her situation.

although the burns is a good food, she might be sensitive to rice. maybe it would be worth trying their pork and potato variety to see if that makes any difference.

4. siobhan17

siobhan17 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for your suggestions/comments ... I'll try keeping her away from long grass for a while - had thought of having allergy tests at vets - guessing expensive - anyone ever had them done to their dog?

5. Ducky

Ducky PetForums VIP

they are very expensive. and anyone who iv spoken to whos had them done, their dogs seem to be allergic to everything :S

as i say, does she get anything else food wise that might cause an aggravation? something that people i know have tried is to cut back on everything the dog gets (except the food of course) and see if that makes a difference and then u can gradually introduce 1 treat at a time to see if it makes the itching come back, then u know to avoid them.

6. boodlebear

boodlebear PetForums Junior

Burns is great food but as someone said she may be allergic to something in the flavour so try a different one to maybe rule out the problem.

Also try giving pure salmon oil (not cod liver oil), fantastic for the skin & coat

I use frontline on my boys and have never had any problems but if you are having recurring problems with the fleas, have you also sprayed the dogs bed and around the edges of your carpets, flooring etc. They are persistent little buggers and if you dont treat everywhere they will keep multiplying!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice