Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy skin

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Vicky pegg, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Vicky pegg

Vicky pegg PetForums Junior

Ok I will try this thank you

2. Vicky pegg

I’m not sure where I would get those flavours from . The man I get his food from does not sell those flavours .

3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

If you want to get to the root of the problem you might need to look around.

Gentle does goat, Happy Dog does ostrich. Look online.

4. Sarah Hawkins

Sarah Hawkins PetForums Newbie

Hello! Would you consider switching him to raw? Something like Nutriment which is already balanced and has the offal and bone mixed into it saves you hassle. That's what I moved my itchy dog onto. Worked wonders from the 1st feed.

The problem with meat is that its a high histamine food. And the histamines increase the older the meat has been lying around. Fresh meat that has then been frozen is lower in histamjnes which is partly why raw feeding is associated with fewer itchy dogs.

The other thing to consider is why do some dogs have allergies and intolerances and others don't. In people its often linked to gut health, as thats where 70% of the immune system lies. With dogs, its a similar story. So first things first, you want to improve the gut lining to stop rogue undigested proteins getting into the bloodstream to create the allergy response. Dog probiotics are great for this. You can start with colostrum and then move onto Dr Mercola dog probiotics (Amazon UK). You also need to help calm down the immune response. Quercetin is fab for this. You can buy dog Quercetin supps online too.

A word of caution about antihistamines. Long term they are associated with negative health effects and in humans they deplete DAO enzymes which is our bodies natural way of lowering histamines. So you see how they can leave you dependent on them. I'm not sure how they affect dogs exactly, but if like me, you'd rather yoyr dog isn't on drugs all its life, then there are natural alternatives.

Hope that was helpful! Best of luck!

5. Vicky pegg

Hello thanks for your advice . My dog has been on a raw diet before but it gives him very soft pops that I. Can’t pick up! I don’t think there is anything I haven’t tried . I have spoken to a dog therapist and he told me it could be dog anxiety that he’s not mentally satisfied and that he needs more things to do to make him think to divert him from licking his paws !

6. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Hi I'm a bit late to the party but thought I would share my experience. I have a shih tzu who only very recently has started with itchy skin, chewing her feet and generally being miserable. Initially, the vet put her on a one month course of prednisolone which stopped her itching but, being a steroid was not ideal long term. We then had two months of apoquel which did very little to stop her itching, this was during lockdown so we were unable to have blood tests for her itching at that time.

Apoquel works as a blocker which stops the brain from thinking that the dog is itchy rather than helping the immune system to fight the problem.
    3 weeks ago, she had a blood test which came back with various grasses, pollens and weeds as being high allergens for her. As a result, we are now on cytopoint injections. She had her first one 8 days ago and she's like a different dog. In chewing, no scratching. She had regained her zest for life and loves to play again whereas before she was miserable and spent a lot of time sleeping. If you have insurance, I would suggest the blood tests so you know what you are dealing with and go from there.

DanWalkersmum likes this.
  7. Vicky pegg

Hi thank you for your advice . This is the only thing I’ve not done the blood test . Yes I have insurance is it expensive for the blood test ?

8. Vicky pegg

Does your dog need injections for life ?

9. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

A basic blood test which looks at the basic things is £150. A detailed panel that covers everything is £1500. I think it depends on your vet.

There is a possibility that she will need them forever but as it appears to be seasonal, she might be fine when the seasons change. We will gave to watch this space

10. Vicky pegg

I will look into blood test then . Thank you

11. Mallachie

Mallachie PetForums Newbie

Hi Vicky, your dogs symptoms sound exactly like my miniature schnauzer who I recently lost. She had really bad itchy skin and would not stop licking and chewing her paws which ended up yellow instead of white" The vet took scrapings of her skin and sent them to the lab and they said she could not have any grains, wheat ect and he put her on Apoquel tablets for life which did ease the itching and gave her a special shampoo for her skin. Both were expensive but they did the job so it was worth it.

12. Vicky pegg

Hi thanks for your advice . My dog has been on apoquel they did not make any difference unfortunately. I have just bought some oatmeal shampoo I’ve not used it yet but I will next time I bath him . My mother I law tops me about a shampoo it was £30 a bottle . I don’t mind paying as long as it helps him with his paws

13. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I don't really understand why you are happy to pay a lot for shampoos and talking about expensive blood tests, yet you seemed quite resistant to simple changes like a single protein food and wiping him down after being outside, which are so easy to do and could really help. o_O

Torin. likes this.
  14. Vicky pegg

It’s not that I want to go down the blood test route and shampoos . But I see that I have no choice , wooing his paws each tine he goes out side seems so impractical and the protein, well I’m not sure how I. An reduce that ?

15. Vicky pegg

Joanne I will try and wipe his paws each time he goes out I will do that just to see if it helps as for his food he is in a really good diet kibble no grains in it all premium meat and fresh vegetables and allergy free . Although it does say NO CHEAP GRAINS which begs me to believe there are grains in the food just not cheap ones

16. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

What brand and type of food is he on?

And, like I said earlier in the thread, it would be relatively easy to change him on to something like goat or ostrich (post #23) for a few weeks, to see if it is food related. If you want to try this you would feed only that one new food, for 6 weeks, to clear his system of whatever is causing the problem. If you wanted you could then introduce one thing, like chicken, and if he has a flare up you would know.

For wiping him down, just keep a basin of plain water and a flannel by your back door and give him a wipe down (tummy as well as legs) as he comes in.

17. Vicky pegg

The brand of food is called “healthy k9 “ you can google this word if you like and you can see the web site and the food he is on . It says it’s all locally sourced food it’s dry kibble . Yes I will definitely use a bowl and a flannel and leave it but the back door to wash he down . He is a bigger for rolling around in the garden rubbing his head on the grass and his tummy ! And his food I’m going to look into swapping his diet for the 6 weeks and see how he is . Thank you again for your advice .

18. Vicky pegg

19. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

It looks a good food but if one of the ingredients is causing him a problem, the quality doesn't help. I notice they all have sweet potato too, I think it is @Torin. whose dog can't tolerate that - maybe she knows if it is a common cause of irritation?

Torin. likes this.
  20. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Yup, we can't do sweet potato here! Normal potato (which is actually, scientifically, a very unrelated plant) is fine. I don't know how common it is though, but it seems sensible for you to do a simple enough non-invasive food test. It could also be that he's reacting to a more minor ingredient in the food - that's why, if you're testing food ingredients, it's best to swap whole brands as part of that, rather than just different flavours of the same brand :)

p.s. remember when doing food trials to look at the treats you're giving. No point ruling out x ingredient in the main diet if they're eating it elsewhere as you could get false results.

JoanneF likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice