Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy puppy

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Hanwombat, Jun 27, 2017.

1. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Fsmo is a bit itchy?

Certainly not fleas. I have also started to give me a little coconut oil. He is also full raw.

His skin looks fine? Doesnt look dry. I wouldnt say he is itching alot but enough for me to notice.

Can puppies itch a little? Esp as his coat will be changing over the next few months? Hes very floofy currently.

2. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

Photos, must have photos.

Are any of the other dogs scratching? Just wondering if it's mites. It could be his fluffy coat, must take some getting used to

lullabydream and Hanwombat like this.
  3. Hanwombat

Not that I am aware of. His coat is like cotton wool in some places. Do you mean demodex mites?

Will post pics when I can :)

4. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

I guess I do mean demodex mites, but having never experienced them in any of my dogs I don't know much about how it affects them. It just seems the next port of call for an itchy dog once it's not fleas.

Are you certain it's not fleas? I had an itchy dog once and I searched her from top to toe for fleas and couldn't find any evidence, took her to the vets, he had a search through her coat and hoiked out a flea:rolleyes:. Once treated she stopped scratching.

MiffyMoo, Hanwombat and lullabydream like this.
  5. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

I always think if itching is noticeable...there is usually a problem if that makes sense.

So in puppies and dogs I have had, if they are not used to a collar or a harness and I am acclimatising them to one...so they don't look like they have fleas whilst out..they itch because they aren't used to the feel. That's pretty obvious...I notice it straight away.

You maybe more 'worried' about itching due to Bigby, which can only be natural too, so a slight itch can make you over think things...one itch and your brain thinks he itched several times!

Puppy coats do not tend to change for a good while, hence puppies who people become allergic to find it's often when they are older not when they have the puppy coat... obviously not the hard and fast rule because saliva can be an issue too or any fur, but does usually occur when the adult coat comes through.

Mites are usually the common cause, especially demodex in the young, they either itch like crazy or do not itch at all. So Siskin has a great point. I would guarantee all dogs have them but the immune system keeps them in check, immature immune systems just cannot.

I suppose another way to look at it, could also be a period of adjustment too. Different dust, pollen, washing powder etc used and maybe it's just is adjustment. Am just guessing.

I have had quite a hairy dog, was a total fluff ball as a puppy, he did seem to itch slightly more in hot weather and I clipped him short....he was a JRT cross with the worse coat imaginable for tangling and matting, so it could be that.

Lintbells do an anti itch oil supplement, I don't think it would do any harm to try it, am never convinced coconut oil is as great as everyone says but that's just me.

If you still think he's itching, a bath with either oatmeal or neem products might be good. Neem as it's good for fleas etc, and then the vets!

6. Hanwombat

Yeah may get him some shampoo :) I mean hes not itching all the time, but I notice.. plus he may not help as occasionally he sits in wee but I have been bathing him slightly to wash it off.

If it carries on ill pop him to the vets. I cant be doing with two itchy dogs :( :eek:

Ill look at lintbells too :)

lullabydream likes this.
  7. Hanwombat

He has no hair loss or anything either, no scabs etc.

8. Hanwombat

Ordered some neem shampoo from my itchy dog.. see if that helps

lullabydream likes this.
  9. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

I thought environment too. It's been less than a week, hasn't it?

lullabydream likes this.
  10. Hanwombat

Yeah its possible as you say. Its been a weel tomorrow

11. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Waah ! You've got a new puppy ! How did I miss this. :) Welcome to PF new pupster :D Hope your new brother and sister are looking after you.

Hanwombat likes this.
  12. lullabydream

The mites might not have had chance to nibble away at all the hair in the follicles yet...I just know some dogs itch like crazy and some don't!

I don't know the life cycle so if they are immature or like in headlice...it can sometimes be the poo that causes itching rather than movement, in headlice then it could be that if it's mites at all!!

No harm in trying a shampoo in my opinion...and a blessing with demodex is it would be rare for it to effect adult dogs since their immune system being healthy and strong keeps on top of it!

As I type this...Maisie my lurcher is itching like crazy...it's catching...although midges seem to be biting her as she has two lumps between her eyes and one on her thigh, and definitely insect bites...will be showing her joys of a bath very soon!

Hanwombat likes this.
  13. Hanwombat

If it gets worse he'll go to the vets :) I hate itchy dogs haha

lullabydream likes this.
  14. Dogloverlou

Dogloverlou PetForums VIP

Just seen this. I can't remember any of mine noticeably scratching more than usual, but then it was a while ago. I did see Fsmo itching a bit in your buckets video, but it looks more like a bored itch if that makes sense? Like he was itching to do something?

The shampoo can't hurt anyway, and I'm sure he's fine, but you will naturally take more notice of things like that because of Bigby.

Hanwombat likes this.
  15. Hanwombat

Hes certainly been itchy today. Again I check his skin and no scabs, dandruff, redness etc.. the Neem shampoo has been dispatched so hopefully here by the weekend :) I cant be doing with two itchy dogs :eek:

16. lullabydream

Oh bless you. Poor Fsmo and poor you!

Fingers crossed a nice bath and some adjustment he will be fine!

Hanwombat likes this.
  17. Hanwombat

I will pray :D

lullabydream likes this.
  18. Hanwombat

Washed him with neem shampoo.. to me hes more itchy now grr.

His skin looked fine though when I bathed him, though he has a few red dots on his tummy? Round his groin? Teeny weeny dots.. so makes me think possibly mites? But just weird that no itching at breeders... get to mine and BAM!

19. lullabydream

Not all there with the life cycle, so it maybe you have just got him at his 'prime' when the mites become annoying little buggers..

Can the little monkey have advocate, or can't you use it in your household. Milder infections, which it may be the start of that can be your first line of battle so to speak if it's demodex!

Obviously stress of the move makes sense that his immune system becomes a little more shaky and therefore we aren't just dealing with an immature immune system but one that's a bit upset too...so that might be why!

JoanneF likes this.
  20. Hanwombat

He cant have advocate as hes MDR1 affected :/ Bigby had bravecto when they thought it may be demodex

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice