Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy paws

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Cocodaisy, Jan 4, 2019.

1. Cocodaisy

Cocodaisy PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone. New to this forum, but hope someone can help with a problem. I have a two year old westie, who up to a few weeks ago was perfectly fine, then she started to lick her paws. She seemed to have sore patches and the vet prescribed a spray (virbac cortavance)to apply for a few days. Although this seemed to help, but as soon as I stopped using it, the itchiness returned. It was suggested by a friend that I should try her on a 'senstive' food. She is now on Eva sensitive skin and digestion kibble. In addition I bathe her feet in warm salted water twice a day, but she still insists on licking her paws continuously (she has a buster collar on ) which she tolerates but is unhappy with.

I should say that she doesn't have itchiness anywhere else.
    She has regular flea and tick treatment.

Any ideas would be well received

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Westies are reknowned for allergies.

As well as food, consider environmental factors - cleaning products, air fresheners, use non bio washing powder/softener etc. Farmers use sprays on crops as do councils on weeds etc.

Salt water can cause itching if not rinsed thoroughly so that might not be helping.

Ask the vet if diluted a Hibiscrub might be better, perhaps or more verbac?

Licking can sometimes be a side effect of pain or anxiety too.

3. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

As @Lurcherlad said, Westies are very prone to allergies and other skin problems. At 2, your dog is at a prime age for allergies to kick in.

Most ‘sensitive’ foods are grain free, which is wonderful if grain is what your dog is allergic to, but not much use otherwise. But it’s as good a place to start as any. Feed it for at least 6 weeks and if nothing has changed, you’re either facing an environmental allergy, or your dog is allergic to something in the food. You might then do an elimination diet to try to figure out what the allergins are, or opt for allergy testing. Dogs can be allergic to lots of things -my own dog can’t have chicken, lamb, beef, egg or potato, amongst other things. Vets also sell foods that are designed in such a way that the dog can’t react to the protein, which are good for ‘resetting’ the dogs system, but I wouldn’t personally opt for those as a long term solution. One of my dog’s litter brother is currently on a food made from feathers for this reason!

Environmental allergies are harder, but a good place to start is giving the dog a rinse every time it comes in from a walk. As the above poster said, cleaning products etc can also cause problems, and some dogs have reactions to storage mites that are in food.

Is your dog insured? I think some insurance policies will cover allergy testing, which may not be 100% accurate but takes away lots of the guess work.

After saying all that, your dog’s paws might be itchy for another reason. Has the vet checked for mites?

Lurcherlad likes this.
  4. Cocodaisy

Thanks for all the advice. I never thought of asking the insurers about allergy testing. Coco is regularly treated for ticks and fleas. She is getting used to the collar now, but would like to get to the bottom of this asap. Like most households we clean with commercially brought products, but have recently gone to environmentally - friendly stuff, so hope this makes a difference.

5. JessandJackson_x

JessandJackson_x PetForums Member

Paw licking can also be a sign of a thrush bacteria.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Cocodaisy

Thanks for the tips; we have contacted our insurers and they will cover the cost of allergy testing up to £1000.00. What a relief. We'll let you know how it goes in case someone finds the updates useful.

By the way, how do they feed feathers!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice