Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy dog prescribed prednisolone

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by The Wild Bunch, Mar 24, 2020.

1. The Wild Bunch

The Wild Bunch Owner of dogs and referee of children

Afternoon all
    My girl is 3 years old and very recently and quite suddenly has started chewing and scratching her legs and feet to the point of being obsessive. Of course we have been to the vets who have advised to put her on a hypoallergenic dry kibble and has prescribed her prednisolone. I was a happy raw feeder and she’s not overly thrilled about dry food when my other dogs are getting raw.

To try and help her somewhat homeopathically, are there any oils, supplements or other things I can try in order to help her or ease her suffering as she is truly fed up and exhausting herself with the itching. I am also not mega keen on keeping her on steroids long term. Any suggestions are gratefully received

2. niamh123

niamh123 PetForums VIP

If this has only happened recently perhaps it is a seasonal allergy a raw diet is hypoallergenic (no gluten etc)could she be allergic to one of the meats you are feeding or have you added something new to her diet recently :)
    Have you tried her on antihistamines my old boy couldn't tolerate gluten hence why he was fed a raw diet but he did have seasonal allergies and I always kept antihistamines for when he would get a flare up,I would just buy a generic non drowsy one:)

Calvine, Jason25 and The Wild Bunch like this.
  3. The Wild Bunch

thanks for the reply. I thought seasonal as it’s only come on suddenly. Vet said he will do diagnostic bloods after corona is over and these should pin point what she’s sensitive to. I will try antihistamines I am also in the process of cutting out beef and bird so she can have game, rabbit and fish going forward to see if that eases things for her. I’m also giving cold pressed salmon oil

niamh123 and Jason25 like this.
  4. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums Senior

You could try rubbing her down with a wet towel after she’s gone on grass. Mine gets itchy after walking certain parts of the canal, i don’t know if it’s like a different type of weed/plant/grass or whatever but I found rubbing her down afterwards stops her getting the itch lol

The Wild Bunch likes this.
  5. The Wild Bunch

will give that a try, we have been staying on pavements recently to see if that helps. She’s my only one who has ever had any sensitivities so this is a learning curve

Jason25 likes this.
  6. Maurey

Maurey butler to a spoiled kitty

Has she actually been better on the dry, as opposed to purely the medication, or have you not had an opportunity to test this?

Raw diets are awesome, but not necessarily hypoallergenic. While she's definitely not necessarily allergic to her food (can definitely be seasonal or something environmental, as others have mentioned), she could have developed an allergy to one of the animal protein sources in her typical raw mix. May be worth trying an exclusion diet (especially if she's largely fed poultry or fish), if it's feasible for you to feed her single protein raw, ideally of an animal she's never eaten (or eaten much of before), and doing that for two weeks. If she starts getting better, start slowly introducing a new source of animal protein, slowly increasing the amount. If she doesn't react to the newly-introduced protein source, you can assume she has no allergy to it, and move on, introducing the next thing in increasing amounts.

I'd definitely get her off the 'hypoallergenic' dry, personally. Assuming it's hydrolysed dry food, it's usually utter shit (both ingredient-wise and compositionally), and doesn't necessarily resolve issues. These hydrolysed foods are largely carbs (I've seen hydrolysed cat food with 60% carbs 60!!! Cat's aren't even meant to have carbs in diet. I can't imagine how bad it could be for dog formulations, when, iirc, they can have some degrees of carbs. :c), with the first ingredients commonly being things like soy and rice, with soy being a common allergen for cats and dogs.

wee man and The Wild Bunch like this.
  7. The Wild Bunch

ive started her on AATU herring and shellfish, she’s eating it albeit not enthusiastically but not seen any great change to the itching.
    I’m trying to stick with the raw but cut out bird and beef and give her things like rabbit and fish. My supplier also does horse if we need to go for a really novel protein. The breed club has said its common in the breed and most tzus are on apoquel meds or cytopoint injections which I am happy to do but would love to try all options before we resign ourselves to medicating her for the rest of her life iykwim.
    She’s insured so that’s not an issue

Maurey likes this.
  8. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Has she responded to the Prednisalone?

9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

My Beau is on the more extreme side of this. He has to have a hydrolyzed diet where any allergens are broken down into setting soooooo tiny the body doesn't recognise it. What food did your vet recommend?

Washing down helps as well as a medicated shampoo like Malaseb or d-10. Piriton helps sheep a lot too but we're now getting into the season of using pred again. Remember while we'd love them to be around longer, it's QUALITY of life, not quantity. I know Beau isn't going to live as long as other bichons because he will need constant steroid use. But I'd rather him die younger and be as comfortable as possible than live longer in agony because I've seen him bad and didn't know if the next vet visit would be him PTS.

As I said beau is more extreme than others. Has seasonal, environmental and food allergies too. Poor guy is even allergic to broccoli! You'll find that dogs are rarely allergic to just one thing, normally it's multiple. For treats I cycle through squash, sweet potato and carrots as well as lettuce as I know they're safe at the moment.

Check to see if the kibble is high in fat. True hypoallergenic diets should have a high fat content as it's the fish oils. Helps with allergies as well as general skin and coat health. Beau is on royal canin anallergenic and it's high in fat so I don't add fish oils. Gotta watch the weight if it is high.

Longest time beau has gone without steroids is about 70 days. He's had steroid use his whole life and he's only 2. You're not alone

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice