Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itchy Dex

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Butchcass, Aug 28, 2013.

1. Butchcass

Butchcass PetForums Junior

Hi all, hope everyone is ok.

I have a bit of a problem with Dexter. He has been itching quite a lot recently and today was bleeding under him armpits from excessive biting/scratching.

It started about 5 weeks ago after he had been to the woods for a walk. My wifey got bitten alive and so is assuming that Dex did too. That night they all went up Scotland for a week with more long walks in the woods and a slight change to his usual diet (his Arden Grange was supplemented from a bag of Skinners). Whilst up Scotland he was losing a fair amount of hair and scratching a lot.

We then went to Cornwall for 3 weeks where he was still scratching and biting so I treated him with Advantage spot on treatment, this made no apparent difference and I thought the sea water would help him out so took to the beaches quite regularly and made sure he got a good dip :)
    His hair loss around his groin area and arm pits seemed to calm down a bit but was still scratching a fair bit. His diet was also supplemented with a bag of Skinners for the duration.

On returning to home after the 3 weeks I treated him again with the Advantage but it doesn't seem to be the having an affect so I'm fairly sure it's not fleas.
    He now has bald patches around his groin and running in a straight line up the middle of his stomach with some scabs and small black patches. His arm pits are also bald and where there is hair you can see the skin looks much darker than usual.
    He has been bathed using a normal dog shampoo but I don't tend to bath him too often unless he rolls in something wonderful!

Now I don't know if I am being paranoid but since I have been back I have started itching but I think I am tbh! :wink:

I have pictures but I have no idea how to upload them onto this thread so if anyone could help me with that I'll post some :)

Thank you for any responses in advance.

Cass

2. Butchcass

I think I figured it out.

Attached Files:

3. Butchcass

The last two.

Attached Files:

4. Doguiesrus

Doguiesrus PetForums Senior

Ooh looks sore. I use a also Vera oink ment if I'm not sure what it is. It never does any harm and is soothing. I always try distractions too like extra bones etc. the more they are busy less time to scratch more time to heal! Sorry don't know exactly but did t want to read and run. Good luck

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

As its itchy season, anyway its hard to say, but if he is itching like crazy and losing hair, and now you are itching, and especially if you come up in a red rash, I would be a bit suspect about Sarcoptic mites in all honesty. Humans can get them too. They often itch more when its hot, and they also often get a bacterial infection on top, due to the traumatising the skin from scratching and intoriducing bacteria from the claws.

In theory advocate is supposed to do sarcoptic and demodex mites but I have heard of it not working.

Sarcoptic unfortunately is often missed on skin scrapes, and only about 20 to 50% if you are lucky are diagnosed that way. There is a sarcoptic mange antibody blood test that is accurate although you usually do that about 8 weeks after symptoms start to allow the antibodies to build up to really detectable levels in the blood.

Would also add belly armpits, legs elbows, muzzle and ear flaps is where you often see it first because the fur is thinnest there and they burrow and live in the skin which is where they lay eggs and complete the life cycle, and access is easier.

#5 Sled dog hotel, Aug 30, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2013
  6. Butchcass

Thanks sled.

If this is the case is it a trip to the vets or will shop bought shampoos/medicines do the trick??

7. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Most of the treatments for demodex and sarcoptic are veterinary only in fact all as far as Im aware. Ive used stronghold for sarcoptic and that was effective but its only available from vets or on line vet pharmacies with a prescription. often itchy skin conditions if bacterial is not the cause itself then often you get secondary bacterial infection on top which needs antibiotics usually to clear it up. Of course mites is only a possible suggestion.
    It could be something environmental that's causing the problem, a lot of dogs get seasonal itch due to grasses, pollens and weeds and plants. Sarcoptic you have to be lucky to find them on a skin scrape, often more cases get missed then diagnosed that way. There is a sarcoptic mange antibody blood test that's accurate but you cant really do it until about 8 weeks post symptoms as detectable levels of the sarcoptic antibodies need to build up in the blood.

Really you have two choices try something like dermacton which comes in shampoo bar, spray and cream or something like the biolife dogs skin care range and maybe a good skin supplement for a week or two to see if it helps, or bite the bullet and let the vets have a proper look, and maybe go the more veterinary route depending on what they think may be the cause.

If you want to have a look at dermacton and the biolife ranges, (there is some good info about skin conditions on the biolife website too)

Dermacton - Skin Relief for Dogs with Itchy Skin

Skincare for Dogs - Bio-Life International Ltd

If he is really uncomfortable though, and miserable, and if you really are itching and scratching too still and got a rash, then its possible it is sarcoptic.
    In which case vets may well be your best bet for starters.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice