Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

itchy bichon

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Engel98, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I have a 11 month old bichon frise. I have noticed over the past week he has been constantly licking and chewing his front paws. I have soaked and cleaned his paws with sensitive shampoo and just water. I have used sensitive baby wipes as well. I am constantly checking his paws for anything obvious that could be irritating him but cant find anything; no dirt, grass, stones or salts from the roads.

In addition to this he is constantly scratching in his ears and they are starting to look a tad red and sore; again I cant see anything obvious. He's recently had the hair in his ears removed at the vets and hasn't touched them up until now. He's up to date on his parasite treatment so I don't think its mites. Also when in the garden he constantly rubs his head against the brickwork of the house.

I understand that bichons can have an array of allergies and I was wondering if this was potentially one of them? he hasn't shown any signs of this before hence why I am questioning it. He's also showing slight behavioural changed which I have mentioned in another post. He has been castrated- approximately 3 weeks ago so I understand some changes are to be expected but he's become very quiet and subdued; he doesn't seem to running around at 100mph like he was up to a week ago. I don't know if it's related. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

Perhaps the licking is a reaction to pain - I wonder if his ears are sore?

I would take him back to the vet to have them checked.

Maybe look at his food too as that can sometimes be a cause for itching, etc. Chicken can often be the culprit as can wheat.

The vet might suggest a food they sell but tbh they are often expensive and not the greatest quality.

Look on allaboutdogfood.co.uk and compare some foods for ingredients, cost etc.

Chappie wet, whilst not considered the greatest in general, often gives good results, being fish/rice based.

(Though another member says it helped a tum problem but made their dog itch! It’s a bit “suck it and see” ;))

Changes in food need to be gradual.

What food is he on at the moment?

#2 Lurcherlad, Feb 3, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    margy and Bugsys grandma like this.
  3. JoanneF

JoanneF PetForums VIP

All of the above, and - you haven't changed brand of cleaning products, air fresheners, laundry detergent or anything recently? I don't think parasite treatments kill mites so it might be worth doing a skin scrape too.

Engel98, margy and Lurcherlad like this.
  4. margy

margy PetForums VIP

Belle chews her paws when her anal glands need emptied, or when she,s anxious

Engel98 likes this.
  5. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Beau isn't an anxious dog, he's very inquisitive typical pup. Also his anal glands have been checked multiple times and everything was ok

6. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Nothing has changed since we got him as other people in the house have allergies too. Also, the parasite treatment our vet gives us covers tick, flea, demodectic and sarsoptic mange and ear mites! I will mention it to the vet though! We have an appointment at the end of the month to make sure he's maintaining a healthy weight after his castration.

7. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Since he was a pup he's been on hypoallergenic dry dog food specifically AVA. He's always had chicken and hasn't shown any reaction. I too thought maybe it's good so I am in the process of moving him onto Applaws chicken and then try their fish or duck as its naturally hypoallergenic and highly digestible. Both he and my shih tzu seem to be happy on it and healthier yet the itching still remains

8. BlueJay

BlueJay Made of bones

Allergies can develop over time and chicken is quite a common one.
    Might be worth noting that Applaws dry contains maize, which isn't uncommon for causing issues in some dogs either.
    If you think it's a food allergy, a very limited ingredient one might be worth a go.
    Wet food typically has fewer ingredients, thus fewer potential allergens. Something like Wainwrights, Forthglade, Fishmongers or Nature's Menu may be of use, for some examples

JoanneF and Lurcherlad like this.
  9. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

Thanks for the info and yes it does. It may be the chicken as I feed him part wet part dry and noticed that the (wet food) chicken caused a stomach upset and more itching but (wet food) beef didn't. That being said, there is less itching now I've moved him onto Applaws. The dry flavours being chicken, turkey, duck or fish and chicken.(Why cant there be a fish only one?:() I may need to put him onto wet completely if that helps him, but I'll see how he goes.

10. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

I used to use Thornit for my Bichon's ears and they never had any problems with their ears all their lives. You could bathe the paws in cooled boiled slightly salted water.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice