Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Itching!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Jackie99, May 10, 2010.

1. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Okay so without going into detail as I have posted threads on this before. My dogs hayfever/grass/pollen allergy is in full force right now. We have spent a night up with him scratching/biting/licking himself red. Seems worse at night. I think this may have hugely been down to the fact that I changed my bed yesterday (he kips with me) and my fresh bed covers had been airing outside on the line (I.e pollen sticking to covers tranferred to doggies skin in the night)

Anyway instead of going to the Vets and his usual various courses of Steriods.

I have been told that Piriton can work quite well? Has anyone used this and found it to be effective? I had Hayleve (another form of allergy tablet in the house but research on the net suggests this is more effective on cats) So I have bought some Piriton and wondering whether to give it a go everything I have looked at some far suggests yes but thought I would see what views here say first.

Also someone with a dog with the same condition uses 'Cuticura' slightly medicated talc and swears by this??? I also wondered if this is something anyone had heard of? It isn't something I would put on and risk making the condition any worse.

By the way I will of course take doggie to the Vets if this gets any worse for his steriods as that seemed to work last time.

Thanks!

2. katiefranke

katiefranke PetForums VIP

Hi jackie, dogs can have piriton, but as any medicine it should really be under the supervision of the vet - even if you were to just phone and ask to speak to them and discuss the option.

I would be worried about keep having to use steroids, as long-term they have side effects and anti-histamines have relatively minor if any...

There are also other forms of anti-histamines that can be used if piriton doesnt work - we tried a few with maggie before coming back to the piriton. one made her drowsy, one constipated and piriton didnt seem to work initially (but it was actually because it was something in her food!) but it is working well for the pollen allergy so far this year :)

we also use malaseb shampoo, but this is presciption only - it is anit-bacterial and anti-fungal, so removes any irritants from their skin but also soothes irritated skin and reduces the likelihood of them getting an infection if they lick/bite a little at the skin. alternatively oatmeal-based natural shampoos can be very helpful to irritated skin.

I also find sudocrem (the baby nappy rash cream) is brilliant for smoothing on particularly itchy patches to soothe the skin.

3. Jackie99

Jackie99 PetForums VIP

Hey, thanks very much for the reply.

Well I did go ahead this evening and give him one piriton tablet. He has scratched a little since. I am not expecting miracles and will give it chance to settle through his system. If it causes him to be drowsy that will just be a bonus :p

I would like to be able to put something on his skin to soothe it but I am going to contact the vet in the morning and see what they have to say as he has a wet sore looking scab from biting right on his penis which is very red looking.

I am glad Piriton is now working for your dog this season :) Must be such a relief!

4. herbiedog

herbiedog PetForums Junior

Herbie has the same problems we use Piriton when he is bad ..we don't like the idea of him being on steroids and have been told by our vet that the allergy test is not always conclusive ..

Our vet advised that we give him cod liver oil and evening primrose oil which we have found in our local vets in liquid form..

Also when he comes in from a walk to either shower him to get any pollen off of him or give him a good brush ..

I do know what you are going through and have been up several nights with the itching and scratching problems..

We also have a soothing cream for him if he makes himself really sore...

5. katiefranke

oooo, sounds sore, poor thing :(

the best thing you can do for this if you want to soothe it while you are waiting for vets appt would be to bathe luke warm water that has been boiled and then cooled (to remove any bacteria). just get some cotton pads (preferably the ones that are meant more for make up so the fluff doesnt come off), or a soft flannel and gently dab around the area. you could even dissolve a very small amount of salt in it, although this could sting depending on how bad you think it is...

then once you have done this, very gently dab the area dry with a clean dry towel or something like kitchen towel that wont stick to the area and leave bits...best not to leave it wet or it can encourage bacteria growth.

hopefully this should soothe it until the vet can have a look. do ask about malaseb, as i found it incredibly effective in soothing maggies irritated skin when she was at her worst last year...but you might not be able to use it when he has an open sore though...

good luck and let us know how you get on! :)

#5 katiefranke, May 10, 2010
    Last edited: May 10, 2010
  6. herbiedog

It really is a horrid to see them like this as hope that you can get some relief for him soon

It will be interesting to see what your vet reccommends

7. herbiedog

Just wanted to add that we have put Herbie on a totally raw diet....although
    the vet did say that only 6% of cases are food related..

8. katiefranke

we feed maggie a completely raw diet now too and she is doing great on it. no food allergies and the pollen allergy is very manageable - a LOT different to the stress we all went through last year!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice