Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

It would be so much easier without people,

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BessieDog, Nov 13, 2012.

1. BessieDog

BessieDog PetForums VIP

Lovely sunny day so went to the seawall for our walk this morning. Despite the nice weather, only met two lots of people.

Saw the first couple coming along so did a recall with the whistle. Boy! Was I impressed. Even though Bess had seen the couple she turned and came back like a bullet out of a gun! It may have been the fact they had a greyhound with them which made her want mum's protection, but anyway, her recall was impressive.

So I sat her beside me and got her mouthing on a piece of cheese. I was hoping the couple would walk on whilst I was distracting Bess. But no. They had to stop and stroke her and have a good old chat!

Didn't see anyone else until we were just about back to the car and we bumped into two walkers. I had no cheese left, so had a short lead, but Bess was trying to say hello. Instead of letting me struggle past it was 'oh, isn't she a lovely colour! How old etc etc. and giving her a stroke.

Then this afternoon's walk we had an hour where we saw no one at all. Until we were three houses from home and unusually there was a man crossing the road. I thought he was going to ask me for directions, but no. As I was trying to keep Bess under control it turned out he'd come over to comment on how lovely she is.

Now don't get me wrong, I love having a dog who people like, but they wouldn't like her much if she bounded up to them and put muddy paws over them, or worse knocked some old dear over. How am I going to train her that not everyone loves her when all and sundry want to stroke her? I'm afraid I can't be rude and tell people not to stroke her. I do mumble out that I'm trying to stop her jumping up at people, but its so hard.

Rant over. Sorry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice